Day old pasta

Why do some people claim that day old pasta/pizza tastes better than fresh? I've never understood it, but a few of my friends are really adamant that it tastes way better when it's a day old.

What makes people think this? Does it actually taste better and I just have pleb taste?

I have never heard that before.

I have never heard that before, but I have a preference for cold pasta over hot pasta.

Dumb meme. If your food needs a day for the flavors to intermingle properly then you seasoned it/made your sauce like a fucking idiot.

I'm a fan of leftover microwaved spaghetti and meatballs as well as mac and cheese. Not sure why though.
Cold pizza is great too. Even lukewarm pizza left out overnight is good.

I made some regular jar tomato sauce and spaghetti last night and had it this morning for breakfast too. I don't think it was any different. except a little dry because this morning I used powdered parm cheese and microwaved it.

day old pizza? that's just crazy talk
but when it comes to soup and chilli. there is a lot of truth to it getting better the next few days

Never heard of this either, OP's probably trying to force a meme.

I've noticed this not only but with pasta but also with pizza and stews. I'm sure there are some kinds of chemical changes occurring over that span of time that could change the flavors.

proteins have a chance to relax and the different ingredients completely normalise with one another which makes for a more satisfying flavor

that is the only reason for it

maybe the tomatoes get more savory after a day out or something

The fats congeal and concentrate into the food more

Youre idots then or just underaged

It happens regardless most times, nothing to do with improper anything

Fuck off, moron.

>what is fermentation
>what is concentration after evaporation
>what is temperature variance in flavor compounds

I could see an argument for pasta sauce being better, but the pasta itself? That's just nuts.

Call me wrong if you want but when reheating pasta, the the microwave or otherwise, I always sprinkle some water on it. I find it bring it back to life without that weird gummy texture.

I'm sure I'm about to be insulted.

>>what is fermentation
>the insignificant amount of fermentation that occurs in a fucking tupperware full of leftovers makes a huge impact on the flavor profile in 12 hours
How to tell if someone's talking out of their ass for 500, Alex
>>what is concentration after evaporation
Why arent you intentionally cooking down your soups/sauces/stews a little more anyways?
>>what is temperature variance in flavor profiles
Yes, things taste different at different temperatures.

>the insignificant amount of fermentation that occurs in a fucking tupperware full of leftovers makes a huge impact on the flavor profile in 12 hours
are you trying to say that this doesn't happen

i'll take the bait and assume you're just trolling, not clinically retarded

it's not the pasta they are talking about, it's the sauce. you probably just weren't able to comprehend it or weren't listening to your friends when they were trying to tell you. they were talking about the sauce, not the noodles

Sure, most food tastes a little more "brought together" the day after cooking, but flyover moms only perpetuate this meme so hard because it makes them feel better about their god awful hot dishes.

they were most likely talking about the sauce and the noodles together. people make this statement about lasagne all the time. part of it is that the moisture gets absorbed into the pasta.

If you could actually comprehend the words on your monitor, youd realize I was trying to say "The insignificant amount of fermentation that occurs in a tupperware full of leftovers over the span of 12-24 hours has a negligible effect on the flavor profile of those leftovers," written in snarky greentext format. Fucking mong.

well it can very easily make a big difference.

Lol stay BTFO retard

OP also said pizza you dumb retard. Do you actually think food settling to absorb flavor is some foreign concept that literally doesn't have researched explanations? Are you literally 12?

>calls other people underage
>LOL
>BTFO
>you dumb retard
>are you literally 12?

Off yourself.

>k-k-kill yourself!!!!

Your life must suck

as a kid i loved left over spaghetti. we would put in fridge with the sauce mixed in. the next day it will have absorbed the sauce. and then we'd heat it in the microwave and it would get little crispy bits on the end. and the sauce got all absorbed into the noodles. loved it. still do

alternatively, can someone explain to me why cream based pasta/sauce is awful the next day?

Isn't summer over?

If the sauce is already on the pasta, then it's because the pasta keeps absorbing moisture from the sauce and it loses it's creaminess. If it's not already on the pasta, then it's because it usually splits and gets oily when reheated unless you just barely warm it up.

Probably because the compounds in the cream start to break down, butyric acid formation for example

I think it's not only the tomatoes but also the various spices undergoing reactions with eachother

Nice dunning-kruger

It's pretty noticeable with leftover meats that aren't heavily seasoned or submerged in some kind of liquid. Warmed-over flavor happens quickly and people who can taste it will know right away and sometimes won't even be able to eat it.

>insignificant amount of fermentation
Fuck sake, have you never baked a loaf of bread? 12-24 hours is plenty of time for sugars to be broken down -- oh and proteins, upon sitting and maturing, can break down into quantities of glutamate and other amino acids. This can absolutely happen in the time scale we were talking about.

>intentionally cooking down more
Well sure, but it'll always end up being a little different after reheating. Either a bit moister, or a bit drier, or perhaps the moisture is redistributed because it's undergone a temperature change.

>temperature variance
Yes but you see, flavor compounds that taste one way at their finished temperature may or may not change their flavor and texture upon being cooled and reheated

>his insult is that he browses Veeky Forums every waking moment of his life

Lol

I take day old pasta, and sometimes feshsly cooked pasta, throw it on a hot pan, and sear it in butter. Its fucking delicious.

Not related to taste but microwaving pasta has been found to change the structure lowering its GI

It's a lie, that parents tell their children so that they can save money.

I do this too, good stuff. I assume from your filename you also mix in an egg too.

I have no fucking clue why it tastes better, I can only hypothesize like an idiot.

>maybe the acids in the sauce start to slowly break down the starches of the pasta into sweeter carbohydrate chains???

>maybe the fats start to blend together more evenly? Similar to the way that essential oils blend into carrier oils to make a soap or a perfume? (the olive oil blends evenly with the natural oils and aromatics coming from the onion and meat for example)

I cook pasta for my evening meal and make two portions so I can take half to work the next day. After heating it in the microwave with a bit of extra cheese it tastes way better than the fresh pasta the night before.

>maybe the fats start to blend together more evenly?
it's this, the same with things like stews and stuff. It's the process of cooling and then reheating.

The only time I've had actual pasta that was better the day after it was cooked was Spaghetti Casserole. Amazing stuff my mom used to make.

I don't really intentionally do it with pasta, it just happens since I precook most of my meals. Pizza on the other hand, I like my toppings matured. Just leave that shit out in the box for a day or too and it's so much better. Better than refrigerated pizza too.

>I like my toppings matured.
Merc?

Old or no taste buds