Is cannabis good, bad, or neutral for you? Can it help you overcome mental deficiencies, or does it create more of them...

Is cannabis good, bad, or neutral for you? Can it help you overcome mental deficiencies, or does it create more of them? I'm having a difficult time finding any data that isn't biased for or against it in some extreme way.

Other urls found in this thread:

healthland.time.com/2012/01/10/study-smoking-marijuana-not-linked-with-lung-damage/
youtu.be/zhs9QdQQEv8
youtu.be/fWdOUaQq_Y4
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4827335/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Its impossible to find unbiased data on marijuana. You will either have "Reefer is evil" nutjobs or "Weed cures cancer" retards. Mostly though, weed is less harmful than alcohol and alcohol is legal. Which would then imply that marijuana should be legal

Excess inhalation of smoke is always bad for you, but it's not as bad as alcohol. But you can also consume or inject pot rather than smoking it.

I haven't partaken in it in probably five years, but I have heard from other users that it helps them with noetic tasks, like solving math equations and reading legalistic texts. Of course this evidence is empirical, and on the surface it sounds kind of ironic, but I am just curious if cannabis really does help people comprehend things more easily.

Of course, it is hard to tell because the science itself is either biased or vague. Or I am just bad at reading scientific data.

Bad and it creates more of them.

It's bad for you and it can and will create more of them.

From my experience it helps with higher level creativity but at a cost of using above rudimentary logic. Which is to say that while you don't lose reasoning while stoned, you do lose the ability to use higher level reasoning while stoned.

I've only smoked a few times in my life though.

Not true. All the studies (even at the health department level) say mj smokers have better breathing functions than nonsmoking or tobacco smokers.

>all the studies
Produce one that says smoking a blunt is better for your lungs than not smoking at all

healthland.time.com/2012/01/10/study-smoking-marijuana-not-linked-with-lung-damage/

It depends how you use it. While I'm in in school I tend to be very serious about my academics and don't really partake in anything social or mess w/ drugs/alcohol. It can get pretty stressful which is why when I get a break from school I typically smoke to help calm my nerves. I think it's good if you use it to recuperate occasionally but if you end up at a point where you start being high more often than being sober it obviously takes it toll. I can do mathematics while I'm stoned, but I'm certainly much less focused which is why I use it when I need to be unfocused for the sake of my mental health. I know it sounds like a cop out but I end up getting pretty good grades so I guess it works itself out.

Congratulations, you have an addiction

all in moderation, I suppose.

all the people I've seen who say it helps with their anxiety or whatever problems they have in life really go out of their way to get the next batch, and they're usually uber-lax to the point of neglecting their priorities. when their stash is gone, they get really on edge, more annoying than tobacco smokers on withdrawal.

the other set of friends I have who generally have their priorities set know when to blaze up, and aren't so goddamn careless with themselves.

really it depends on who's smoking. weed's such a tricky drug in that regard

Once drugs become a tool, and not the "salt" of life, (something that improves another event), one is dependent.

It's absolutely fantastic. It's all about balance, but also who/how you are and what you seek determines your experience.
Also organic is important as not legal weed especially can be high in unwanted chemicals which will make you retarded.

>Excess inhalation of smoke is always bad for you,
this. I use a dry herb vape.

I had severe b12 deficiency and coq10. mental health was in shambles. had PTSD and schizophrenia symptoms. my entire frontal lobe was pretty much 'offline'. every time I vape marijuana I notice significant increase in frontal lobe activity directly afterwards. It's remarkable. significant increase in frontal lobe activity after orgasm as well.

I was seriously so far gone. having homicidal fantasies and such. my executive functioning was so impaired I couldn't even....gahh.

brain damage was so severe I had time dilation.

but ye marijuana works wonders with reorganizing my brain and actually wake from sleep feeling refreshed.

it really only works wonders for certain individuals. I heard of some people having schizophrenia symptoms after one marijuana encounter.

also edibles can be deadly. read article of CO student that purchased edible from dispensary and jumped off a building. was in uni

All drugs are bad
No exceptions

Agreed

>Is cannabis good
yes

Coffee lol

Pretty sure it was their underlying sucidal mindset

you can kill yourself when you're drunk too

point is some edibles are crazy strong. you aren't gonna kill yourself after 1 shot of vodka. maybe a fifth.

>all the stoners itt
lel
Cannabis damages your brain in the short and long term

moonshine or southern comfort man
youtu.be/zhs9QdQQEv8
vid related

The general rule is, use it in moderation. As with everything.

youtu.be/fWdOUaQq_Y4
holy fuck the absolute madman
>190 proof

Coffee isn't good for you you fucking brainlet.

In my experience, it does make a homework assignment or some such take longer, but it makes it so much more interesting. I figure, if a 15 minute problem takes me 45 minutes, but I learn to appreciate this specific topic, then it's worth it in some cases.

As a computer scientist I'd have to say it's good.

Source?

LSD would be better for that purpose

Neither is too much water, butter, oxygen, sex, sitting down, exercise.... It's about balance.
Also before being used to cannabis when your mind expands a little and gets used to what it is telling the brain, people may not like the changes or be able to handle it very well and therefore may have some premature negativr experience, leave it as that and dismiss all drugs as bad.

It will burn out your adrenal glands if you overconsume it

This thread kinda reflects why Veeky Forums is retarded nowadays I guess.

>marijuana is less harmful than alcohol
Absolutely retarded and meaningless statement when you don't speak of how often either of those is used. In the same vein I can assure you that having one beer a day is less harmful than smoking pot once a day.

>marijuana is le good drug and le gubernment is ebil
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4827335/
Stop being fucking retarded.

nobody replied to this study, so just in case someone thinks it's legit
>Among participants, the average marijuana user toked 2-3 times a month, while the average tobacco user smoked eight cigarettes a day.
>Low to moderate users actually showed increased lung capacity compared to nonsmokers on two tests, known as FEV1 and FVC.
So smoking the equivalent of half a cigarette 3 times a month doesn't permanently damage your lungs? Astonishing. And you have to inhale and exhale deeply and accidentally also have an increased FEV1 measure? Amazing.

OP, I have enough friends that turned retarded from smoking constantly. I would advise you to keep it 2-3 times per month and not fall for stoner memes.

Benefits of alcohol = not much/zero
Benefits of marijuana = 171818164245

Its entirely personality dependent. You can smoke grams a day. It depends why you are consuming it and what you expect from it. I know people that are tards, but that's just them combined with marijuana. If you are a balanced individual, you can smoke a lot of weed and absolutely hammer your way through life. Weed does change your mindset, not for positive or negative but something greater. How you view reality. So some people are just adjusting their egos. Pretty much everyone that doesn't smoke and has a bad opinion of cannabis is firmly living in le box.

are you consuming to get wasted or for health reasons? it will determine your experience.

No, no you can't smoke a lot of weed constantly and be a reliable, driven and successful person. I always see this perpetuated and it's always from people that are nowhere in life, it's painful to look at because society reinforces the idea that this particular drug is harmless.

I've smoked enough to judge for myself and most of my friends smoke multiple times a week. Your posts reads like you're burnt out and have some opinion that marijuana has revealed something profound about the world to you. I hate to tell you this, but drug revelations are more often than not fucking retarded.

>inject pot

>you do lose the ability to use higher level reasoning while stoned.

Yeah. It may help creative tasks, that is, tasks which don't need strong focus, but rather creative flow.
On the other hand, it may be counterproductive if you try to do a single point of focus task, since it may create a very "liquid" mental state. (thoughts flow from here to there without much coherence)

ur dum

You should go to a doctor if what you say is right. Take care of yourself

Ok whatever you say but living proof surrounds us.
After your anecdote, you're just wrong.

>if you overconsume it
Same thing happens with food. Doesn't mean that food is bad.
Learn some nuance.

If you start exercising while high it will train your ability to focus, even when not exercising in the future. It really works.

Lol you learn nuance, my post implied balance you autist. No offence

No offence taken. My point is that some drugs are not necessarily harmful when taken in moderation.
Of course moderation is not easy to come by, but some people can handle it.

Sounds like good advice.

Agree :) people who are unbalanced have unbalanced actions.

Bullshit. You use Advil for a headache, that does not mean you are dependent on Advil. You can use psychoactive substances as tools but not be dependent on them. If you can't function without them then you are dependent on them, which is different from strategic use.

OP weed is fine for you but smoking comes with risks of respiratory issues, using it too young comes with risks for mental health issues later on in life, and in general long term use can make anxiety worse for many. There's many stories of "yeah I used to smoke all the time and then X and now I never smoke" and it usually is the sudden onset of anxiety.

>OP weed is fine for you but smoking comes with risks of respiratory issues, using it too young comes with risks for mental health issues later on in life, and in general long term use can make anxiety worse for many. There's many stories of "yeah I used to smoke all the time and then X and now I never smoke" and it usually is the sudden onset of anxiety.

Yeah. This is a very good response.
You must treat these substances with respect, or they will wreck you.

>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4827335/

>one study
>first author is affiliated with NIDA
>government monopoly on marijuana research

totally objective!

>I can assure you that having one beer a day is less harmful than smoking pot once a day.

>obviously has never even tried THC

>
OP weed is fine for you but smoking comes with risks of respiratory issues, using it too young comes with risks for mental health issues later on in life, and in general long term use can make anxiety worse for many. There's many stories of "yeah I used to smoke all the time and then X and now I never smoke" and it usually is the sudden onset of anxiety.
vape it. that's a myth. that's just you. i've had really bad reactions to weed in the past but have overcome the anxiety

If you wanna talk about subjective experiences, after getting treatment for anxiety and learning how to manage it I've found that panic with weed has helped me learn how to overcome those sensations in a controlled setting.

That being said there's totally a trend with weed causing anxiety while high and making people more prone to anxiety in every day life.

Using pot, alcohol or benzo for anxiety is OK if it's occasional anxiety, but it you have to take it daily for social anxiety for example, you'll build a tolerance and get addicted quickly.
CBD may be different than THC and molecules above, since it doesn't make you high/drunk/whatever. Not sure about it though.

Have been an alkie and pot addict, and even when grossly abused, cannabis is less harmful.
It may make me stupid, but doesn't literally kill me with pancreatitis. (My liver's mostly fine, thank you.) It's not like alcohol didn't give neuropathy, or plain brain damage/kindling from repeated delirium tremens.
Of course, not being addicted would be better, but I'm comparing comparable.

It's possible, like it's possible to be Einstein or Pythagoras and revolutionise science, or play the guitar become a rock star. It's also pretty damn rare statistically, but the average normie is biased to believe he can be a rockstar/daily smoker with no consequence.

I like the twig needles

afaik all the data that shows weed being harmful is rooted in the fact that people smoke it. smoking anything is going to fuck you up. but the only people who do that shit are the savages who live in states with draconian drug laws. if your state has legalized it, vaping your marijuana is the way to go. only boomers and tourists smoke flower.

>CBD may be different than THC and molecules above, since it doesn't make you high

not true at all. i vape almost pure CBD extract and it will indeed give you a very pleasant body buzz. the analgesic effect of CBD is quite noticable.

Agree with you vaping and edibles are the best way to go about it, there's nothing wrong with smoking it once in a while. It's very aromatic and flavorful and smoking is one of the best ways to appreciate that.
I use e-cigs, but will still have a cigar on occasion, because its a excuse to hang out on the porch when the weather is nice and relax while I enjoy the experience of smoking a cigar.
It's bad to do it all the time, but nothing wrong with indulging yourself once in a while.

flower is so inconsistent tho. even from the same plant, the potency differs from nug to nug. smoking also gives you gnarly pot breath. idk, once i got my little vape pen i never turned back.

t. joe rogan

My point is alcoholism is taken seriously. Pot is made out to be harmless and you're right, it won't kill you. It will however make you dumb, passionless and literally brain damaged, especially if you abuse it in your teens, and you being on Veeky Forums should probably be able to appreciate the advantages of not being a dull moron.

> absolutely blazing it for years
> surfing sci no probs
> contributing to the world
> only getting smarter

Perhaps those with better than average lungs are more fit for frequent smoking.

it depends on the person and how you consume it.
if you smoke it, it's obviously going to be more harmful than if its in edible form.
also, I wouldn't suggest something with asthma to smoke it but I imagine edible form would be fine.
you would also need to look at family and personal history for stuff like schizophrenia or paranoia, and other similar or related mental illnesses.

you can inject THC/CBD into your bloodstream to get high

I'll just throw out my personal anecdote. I smoked heavily from age 16-25 with some pauses in between. I probably wrote most of my MSc thesis high but thankfully I stopped smoking shortly before starting my PhD. I had a very bad experience, essentially a 48 hour anxiety attack, from smoking a little bit of weed that I had been smoking for about a month. It scared me straight and I haven't touched the stuff since, and have met others with a similar experience. They have the same story: long time smoker, decent tolerance then one day they basically get massive anxiety.

Anyway, that isn't the point. Since I quit I became more aware of the defense mechanisms I used to justify my behavior. I don't think smoking weed on the weekend or at night is bad per se, but being perpetually intoxicated is clearly not desirable behavior. And yes, people who smoke chronically often lose their edge and become a bit dull, which is terrible.

Although my previous habits definitely were a hindrance, academically among other things, I can't see evidence that my chronic smoking has handicapped me in anyway. I know many professionals (profs, research scientists, medical doctors, even a judge) who smoke, but the difference is they don't smoke massive quantities or very frequently.

I would not advise people to smoke weed, simply because of the potential for abuse and losing that edge/spark for the time you remain a chronic smoker. It's a lot of fun, but you don't want to have those dull cow eyes and potentially inhibit your development when you are younger.

>Implying that you'll find unbiased info from users on Veeky Forums.

From my personal experience, it made me more relaxed on useless things in life which let me be able to focus on more important things. But psychedelics had a bigger impact on me in this regard

Helped me get over social anxiety on one hand, but on the other, most of the friends I made were through marijuana and most of them fucked me over at some point in my life so I stopped seeing them.

No good relationships I had were with women who smoked pot.

Made me distant towards my relatives until I become more open with them with my drug use. So take that as a negative if you want.

Helps me sleep on nights before exams.

Makes my time wasting more enjoyable.

Haven't seen any cognitive troubles despite going through binges where I'll some a couple ounces over the span of a month. I stop smoking during the day a few weeks before exam periods so that I can focus on studies, got a 4.0 as a biochemistry major at McGill.

Only work I do stoned are my lab reports, and occasionally taking lecture notes when I find nothing good online. But my ability to do this shit is very dose dependent and goes from no noticeable difference in note taking and being able to remember what I learned after to notes that look like they were written by a handicap kid on a moving bus (wheels on wheels) who's got an extra 21.

>TLDR: personally,
- makes unimportant things more enjoyable
- helped me get rid of social anxiety
- bad for all types of relationships
- no memory effects (except what was learned while on it)
- helps me sleep