Tfw since I started getting more into philosophy fiction seems like boring children books

>tfw since I started getting more into philosophy fiction seems like boring children books

Good for you. Keep reading and you'll come full circle.

Most of philosophy is fiction though, since a lot of it is outdated speculation

>outdated
When will this meme end?

You have to be an idiot to take Plato seriously, for example

>tfw since I started getting more into fiction, philosophy seems like dry lifeless textbooks

Philosophy books are actually bad for your health. Especially if you turn into one of those zombies who thinks life is worthless and the world isn't deep enough for you. Don't kill yourself, OP.

>read non-fiction and primary sources
>now fiction feels like a waste of time

>tfw you start reading science and philosophy seems like children's books

They are initially bad for your health, but ultimately good; it's like purging your body. Fiction is blatant escapism, whereas philosophy gives you the tools to deal with your problems. Fiction is the caring mother who tells you everything is okay and buys you alcohol when you're underage; philosophy is the father who teaches you to be a man by beating you and telling you to stop being a pussy and hiding from your problems.

they're just books stop being such a pseud

Fiction is not what you're describing, it's more like the guy you met at a party that made you bust your ass laughing so you decided to bring him around with you next time you went out. Fiction is not the most important meal, it is just a snack. It only becomes escapism if your life sucks enough that you consider depending on it that much like some NEETs do.

>implying i havent been in constant existensial angst since I was 8 years old
The only people who get like that because of philosophy is because they had been living life in automatic mode

OP here, you are either retarded or have never read fiction aside from YA
Get out of my thread

Fiction is usually a reflection of reality.

>tfw skipped the part where you read fiction

I'm certain there are some life lessons in novels too, but it seem an inefficient approach and I have enough other things in life for the entertainment aspect to draw me in

Is not about entertainment is about beauty and communication you fucking retard why are people like you allowed to exist

>fiction is blatant escapism
M8, just because the only kind of fiction you can comprehensively read is Stephen King and Harry Potter doesn't put great works beneath you massive ego.

Found a pic of you, btw.

Live a lil.

>philosophy is the father who teaches you to be a man by beating you and telling you to stop being a pussy and hiding from your problems

so philosophy abuses you?

PROTIP: Not gonna make it.

Philosophy falls apart when it hits reality.
And child abuse causes serious amounts of mental illness by the way. You'll probably kill yourself like a good amount of philosophers did if you were abused.

>fictionfags are THIS easy to bait

What's the point of reading philosophy if you're also not writing about it or discussing it with better minds? Asking since I loved it as an undergrad but don't feel the same as you these days.

That's because you were reading some fiction, then you moved to philosophy, so your way to see life changed, and now you can't go back to that fiction anymore.

In other words, perhaps you need to read new better fiction (better to you) now instead of whining about it and enjoying yourself build a new prejudice. Of course, you have nothing to say about the quality of what you haven't read it yet, so the only way to prove this wrong is to read the next book.

Goddamn this is such a /pol/reddit-tier romanticized view of philosophy

autism

unwarranted feelings of superiority.
philosophy is a hobby, a means to end.
It's a terrible kind of reader in a way, they have a lot to offer but don't want to share beyond putting down others. A true philosopher would appreciate creative writing as an effective and fun method to implement their ideas.
Don't be like OP. he's a fag.

Wonderfully stated!

Looks like you two have a ton to learn about the philosophy of life. You'd much rather put great ideas down on the internet to get a fix for your misanthropic childlike condition. Go back to your fidget spinners pussies and leave the philosophizing to real men and women.
What? Don't believe me?
Case and point.

>9562544
>leave the philosophizing to real men and women

read: boring men who sit alone and have no marketable trade or social skills

LOL
yes I'll leave that to you. Your field is essentially dead and can only really move forward through technological mediums youre too close-minded to see the merit of.
Basically, you're a sad waste of life with a misplaced superiority complex

>And women

It doesn't matter. Even as irony imbecility is imbecility.

Tell me your secret OP, because I got my degree in philosophy and am thinking about going back and getting my PhD in it, but I hate reading Phil books and get way more pleasure and value out of fiction

This is well meant but demeaning to literatgure and philosophy. Literature is not stories with philosophical musings in them, jesus wept

I'll have you know... I'm an engineering fag $$$

then what is literature? I feel like philosophical musings are implicit in everything.
studying philosophy for the sake of knowing it, not experiencing it, is pretty clearly misguided from my perspective

that just goes to show you're kind of out of your element.
You probably don't really appreciate art in general.
philosophy serves as a method of self-protection than a real thirst for understanding.

so does Searle, apparently

You underestimate and completely misinterpret what an engineer strives to accomplish then. I've played music, painted, read and written poetry my entire life. There isn't an inkling of appreciation for the arts I don't have. Stop trying to out smart yourself and go back to your fucking FIDGET SPINNER!

Is this bait? How do you judge whether someone appreciates art or not? Also in what way is it for self protection? Against what? If anything it opens you up to more ways of interpreting the world. Do you speak of philosophy in general? If so you clearly don't understand it or have never tried too which would explain alot

I'm not really sure how you having "done" things means you understand/appreciate them?
You probably weren't very good at them, i can be pretty confident about that.

and yes I understand exactly what an engineer strives for, a sort of logic which in my opinion could be conducive to developing the abstract orders that are necessary to create good art. Unfortunately I think it's the apparent contradiction of that idea that is failing for you.
You're missing/denying the madness/absurdity that really makes art unique and powerful. It's a common "intellectual"/philosopher problem.
The unwarranted superiority, the denial of youre own weak softness as a human.
You're doing this to yourself.

How's your meme degree in psychology going?

I was referring to the engineer-type personality's approach to philosophy, not the field in general.
I know quite a few engineers. My father and brother are both.
They're generally very smart, appreciate art, but don't understand how to make it outside of basic formulas. I think it's a side effect of them being cold-logic favoring and emotionally unavailable people. It's not a genuine curiosity that drives them but a sense of control. This is bad for art which generally requires a more open-mind.

I'm a lawyer.

your perspective is fucking stupid, just shut up you retard and stop trying to have an opinion on things you dont understand at all

oh boy you sure convinced me.
i probably understand it just as well as anyone would ever need to you fucking loser philosophy-major NEET

Take this to /mlp/ lads, wew

That doesn't even make sense here's a (You) for your troubles though spend it wisely my child

>Reading philosophy for ready made answers

Some like Freud and Jung are considered outdated or wrong by many modern philosophers.

Yikes.

>Some like Freud and Jung

Freud was more a scientist than a philosopher. His models of the psyche and the complexes he described are approximations of findings derived from data gathered during sessions of psychoanalysis.

>I've stopped reading fiction. I don't read it at all. I read other things: History, biography. I don't have the same interest in fiction that I once did." When asked for an explanation, the novelist replied, "I don't know. I wised up ...

BASED Roth.