Who do you think is the greatest stylist in the English language? And post an example!

Who do you think is the greatest stylist in the English language? And post an example!

I have to go with this guy.

"And that learning should take up too much time or leisure: I answer, the most active or busy man that hath been or can be, hath (no question) many vacant times of leisure while he expecteth the tides and returns of business (except he be either tedious and of no despatch, or lightly and unworthily ambitious to meddle in things that may be better done by others), and then the question is but how those spaces and times of leisure shall be filled and spent; whether in pleasure or in studies; as was well answered by Demosthenes to his adversary Æschines, that was a man given to pleasure, and told him “That his orations did smell of the lamp.” “Indeed,” said Demosthenes, “there is a great difference between the things that you and I do by lamp-light.” So as no man need doubt that learning will expel business, but rather it will keep and defend the possession of the mind against idleness and pleasure, which otherwise at unawares may enter to the prejudice of both."

He is endlessly engaging. One of the few authors I never get tired of.

Other urls found in this thread:

penelope.uchicago.edu/hydrionoframes/hydrio5.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>best stylist in the english language
Joyce. Is it really even a contest?

Heres a good excerpt. Not anywhere near his best, but it's all I could grab easily on my phone.

>A few light taps upon the pane made him turn to the window. It had begun to snow again. He watched sleepily the flakes, silver and dark, falling obliquely against the lamplight. The time had come for him to set out on his journey westward. Yes, the newspapers were right: snow was general all over Ireland. It was falling on every part of the dark central plain, on the treeless hills, falling softly upon the Bog of Allen and, farther westward, softly falling into the dark mutinous Shannon waves. It was falling, too, upon every part of the lonely churchyard on the hill where Michael Furey lay buried. It lay thickly drifted on the crooked crosses and headstones, on the spears of the little gate, on the barren thorns. His soul swooned slowly as he heard the snow falling faintly through the universe and faintly falling, like the descent of their last end, upon all the living and the dead.

>Style
>Prose

please stop. The answer is Bryon.

>His soul swooned slowly as he heard the snow falling faintly through the universe and faintly falling

That's like something a middle schooler would write tbp&ch family.

I've always thought that this prose was particularly poignant to anyone who lives on the British Isles. Not Irish myself so I can't truly connect with Joyce's writing on that level, but there has always, to me at least, seemed to be a sense of mysticism to Britain. There is a special feeling that being British evokes: of pride, but also wonder. Little wonder that Arthurian myth is so widely known around the world.

I'm Irish so I feel a rather strong connection to Joyce and his prose. He really captures the spirit of Ireland in Dubliners, especially. The last few pages of The Dead is one of the few things in literature that has made me cry.

Your post is like something a middle-schooler would write tbqh familia. If you can't see the sublimity and poetic genius of that line you're genuinely retarded.

B R O W N E
R
O
W
N
E

penelope.uchicago.edu/hydrionoframes/hydrio5.html

Can someone please explain to me what "stylist" means in a literary context

I like you user, top lad.

This guy. The story of his religious conversion is written so well that atheist lit majors still study it today for the prose.

The Catholic Church holds it better for the sun and moon to drop from heaven, for the earth to fail, and for all the many millions on it to die of starvation in extremest agony, as far as temporal affliction goes, than that one soul, I will not say, should be lost, but should commit one single venial sin, should tell one wilful untruth, or should steal one poor farthing without excuse." I think the principle here enunciated to be the mere preamble in the formal credentials of the Catholic Church, as an Act of Parliament might begin with a "Whereas." It is because of the intensity of the evil which has possession of mankind, that a suitable antagonist has been provided against it; and the initial act of that divinely-commissioned power is of course to deliver her challenge and to defy the enemy. Such a preamble then gives a meaning to her position in the world, and an interpretation to her whole course of teaching and action.

Updike

Hard to find a good passage by him online, but at his best he is good. This one's a bit purple and insincerely emotional, but has some of the sparkles that gives him merit to title of best English prose stylist:

Again, in each of my roles I sit attentively perched on the edge of an immensity. That the sea, with its multiform and mysterious hosts, its savage and senseless rages, no longer comfortably serves as a divine metaphor indicates how severely humanism has corrupted the apples of our creed. We seek God now in flowers and good deeds, and the immensities of blue that surround the little scabs of land upon which we draw our lives to their unsatisfactory conclusions are suffused by science with vacuous horror. I myself can hardly bear the thought of stars, or begin to count the mortalities of coral. But from my chair the sea, slightly distended by my higher perspective, seems a misty old gentleman stretched at his ease in an immense armchair which has for arms the arms of this bay and for an antimacassar the freshly laundered sky. Sailboats float on his surface like idle and unrelated but benevolent thoughts. The soughing of the surf is the rhythmic lifting of his ripple-stitched vest as he breathes. Consider. We enter the sea with a shock; our skin and blood shout in protest. But, that instant, that leap, past, what do we find? Ecstasy and buoyance. Swimming offers a parable. We struggle and thrash, and drown; we succumb, even in despair, and float, and are saved.

Unironically Pynchon:

In the kitchen, the water in the kettle shakes, creaks toward boiling, and outside the wind blows. Somewhere, in another street, a roofslate slides and falls. Roger has taken Jessica’s cold hands in to warm against his breast, feeling them, icy, through his sweater and shirt, folded in against him. Yet she stands apart, trembling. He wants to warm all of her, not just comic extremities, wants beyond reasonable hope. His heart shakes like the boiling kettle.
It has begun to reveal itself: how easily she might go. For the first time he understands why this is the same as mortality, and why he will cry when she leaves. He is learning to recognize the times when nothing really holds her but his skinny, 20-pushup arms…. If she leaves, then it ceases to matter how the rockets fall. But the coincidence of maps, girls, and rocketfalls has entered him silently, silent as ice, and Quisling molecules have shifted in latticelike ways to freeze him. If he could be with her more… if it happened when they were together – in another time that might have sounded romantic, but in a culture of death, certain situations are just more hep to the jive than others – but they’re apart so much….
If the rockets don’t get her there’s still her lieutenant. Damned Beaver/Jeremy is the War, he is every assertion the fucking War has ever made – that we are meant for work and government, for austerity: and these shall take priority over love, dreams, the spirit, the senses and the other second-class trivia that are found among the idle and mindless hours of the day…. Damn them, they are wrong. They are insane. Jeremy will take her like the Angel itself, in his joyless weasel-worded come-along, and Roger will be forgotten, an amusing maniac, but with no place in the rationalized power-ritual that will be the coming peace. She will take her husband’s orders, she will become a domestic bureaucrat, a junior partner, and remember Roger, if at all, as a mistake thank God she didn’t make…. Oh, he feels a raving fit coming on – how the bloody hell can he survive without her? She is the British warm that protects his stooping shoulders, and the wintering sparrow he holds inside his hands. She is his deepest innocence in spaces of bough and hay before wishes were given a separate name to warn that they might not come true, and his lithe Parisian daughter of joy, beneath the eternal mirror, foreswearing perfumes, capeskin to the armpits, all that it too easy, for his impoverishment and more worthy love.
You go from dream to dream inside me. You have passage to my last shabby corner, and there, among the debris, you’ve found life. I’m no longer sure which of all the words, images, dreams or ghosts are “yours” and which are “mine.” It’s past sorting out. We’re both someone new now, someone incredible….

>his skinny, 20-pushup arms
Pynchon, you son of a bitch

Nah that's way too much alliteration in one clause, it's frankly disgusting.

“Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth. Lo. Lee. Ta. She was Lo, plain Lo, in the morning, standing four feet ten in one sock. She was Lola in slacks. She was Dolly at school. She was Dolores on the dotted line. But in my arms she was always Lolita. Did she have a precursor? She did, indeed she did. In point of fact, there might have been no Lolita at all had I not loved, one summer, an initial girl-child. In a princedom by the sea. Oh when? About as many years before Lolita was born as my age was that summer. You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, exhibit number one is what the seraphs, the misinformed, simple, noble-winged seraphs, envied. Look at this tangle of thorns.”

How can you beat this

The entire literary world disagrees with you, user. But I'm sure that you're not just a pseud and have a lot of experience and knowledge to back that statement up.

You're the sort of person who formed his literary tastes by reading off of lists.

And yet the Sun and Moon stay in heaven, and the Earth drowns in sin. Next.

So it's not possible to just genuinely love and admire a great writer now? I've read scholarly essays on the ending of The Dead, in particular, so I can say with much certainty that you're a pseud who has no idea what he's talking about.

Most overrated section of Lolita that's usually regurgitated by tumblr girls who only read the first page

10/10 post

Thank God there's people on Veeky Forums sane enough to point out that the opening to Lolita is not that good and is spammed to death as an example of Nabokov's prose

cringe

I like the style in LotR; but Ronald's best is the Hobbit