Putting oil in the pasta water

>putting oil in the pasta water
>rinsing the cooked pasta in cold water

>yes
>no

Nobody but you does this

>pouring pasta water away
>not putting your colander on top of your pyrex measuring cup to reserve all the pasta water you could ever need AND keep in an easily-pourable container.

>rinsing the cooked pasta at all
It is as if some people hate flavor

is this supposed to make the pasta less sticky?

Yes. It removes some of the surface starch, and won't grab onto the sauce as well. I think food wishes recommended doing that for macaroni salad, but rinsing your pasta doesn't really have too many applications.

I see you have never made pasta salad before, good for you

I always thought it was fucking retarded to put oil in the water because it does nothing right it just sits on the top and wastes money

but after doing some experiments I have realized that the oil is very important in preventing all the gluten bubbles from spilling over the pot

not oil = all the bubbles keep building up and spill over
oil = bubbles are prevented from becoming huge by the oil, no need to watch pot

What about ramen?

just lower the heat on the stove

>not reusing pasta water
>not reusing hot dog water
>not reusing dish washing water
And you wonder why we have so many "please help me 4chin i only have $0.06 to last me the entire decade what should i eat?" threads

You are muslim

With dry pasta, soak it in cold water for 60-90 mins before boiling. It boils much quicker, and tastes more like fresh pasta. Salt the water, but never add oil. It can make sauce not stick to the pasta.

Also, if you want to try something interesting, roast the dry pasta in an oven or toaster at 350 for 10-15 minutes before cooking in boiling water. Provides a little more of an aromatic experience. I will fuck off now.

Protip: Put a little olive oil on the underside of the pot before boiling, you will be amazed! Make sure it's extra virgin oil though!

There is a reason for rinsing pasta in cold water -- you are going to use it later.

If you are precooking pasta for some reason, for example to use it in a salad preparation, you can cook it to the desired consistency and then cool it off to stop the cooking immediately by rinsing it in cold water.

Of course, if you like your pasta for a pasta salad in one enormous clump, don't rinse it off. Let it continue cooking until it is all one big piece of durum wheat dough.

>putting oil in the pan
>cooking food with any measure of heat
>using knives to prepare food

baseless accusations

Yeah OP, i'm sure a random faggot on the internet knows better about pasta than the most skilled chefs out there

My roommate did it once and I haven't stopped doing it on my kraft dinner pasta

I don't know why

Who doesn't reuse their hot dog water?

dont do this, makes mustard gas

Acutal mustard gas? How dangerous are the fumes?
I'm not tard enough to try it but really curious about the details

>Acutal mustard gas?
No, you fuckwit. It's one of this boards many dumbass memes to reply "don't do this, it makes mustard gas" to a recipe you don't like.

>spoonfeeding the newfag
Thanks!

you know pasta is supposed to be cooked at a rolling boil

Of course. But it's possible to get a rolling boil without the pot literally boiling over.

yes I am, fite me.

>drain excess fat
>freshly grated cheese

Why does that trigger you?
The purpose of draining the excess fat isn't for the purposes of caloric reduction, it's so the fat doesn't fuck up the taste and texture of the dish. You didn't think it was all about cutting calories, did you? You poor poor inept fucktard....

>boiling hotdogs
You should be hanged

>he never ate a Weisswurst
Are you American by any chance?

Hellz yeah dawg, it's all bout dat microwave heating dood

>he doesn't flavour his hot cooking oil with a handful of cool ice cubes

>all the pasta water you could ever need

who even cares?
Veeky Forums isn't some little niche inside joke website anymore, you retard

hello this is chef john from fooohd wishes

>muh sekrit klub

what do you use it for?

Fucking this. Anything in which requires cold pasta like macaroni salad or pasta salad, you've got to rinse the pasta off to prevent it from being a completely shit consistency.

more hotdogs

And that is precisely why the site has gone down the drain

People have been saying this for 10 years. Fuck right off.

>actual, real cheese is a pretentious novelty to Americans
Can't make this shit up

>breaking the noodles in half

>not cooking your pasta in chicken or vegetable broth
>missing out on tons of flavor

I cook pasta in bulk for a restaurant and I rinse it so it stops cooking and then I freeze it

if I didn't have to rinse it I wouldn't but idk what else to do

Had a roommate that did this. Might have used warm water, but still always "rinsed the pasta". Made very shitty spaghetti since the sauce didnt stick to the noodles.

Haven't tried the oil in the water yet, thought it would do the same thing, but seems like it's the proper thing to do?

Because KnorrĀ® Chicken Stockpots taste better, than salt

A bit of starchy water for the sauce. He actually has a point.

Just fuck off it's Veeky Forums for fuck's sake and this website has also been here for 14 years and is even under a different owner now.

Shut up Marco

You rinse in cold water so your al dente pasta doesn't over cook from the residual heat

>putting water in sauce
what the fuck

Ty user ima try this

...which you then reduce, leaving a starchy sauce behind
It's a pretty common thing to do

does it make up for the starch I rinse off my pasta?

It's astonishing how many people here don't know about that.

I see so many people posting pasta with sauce just dumped on top of dry noodles.

Whoops, look like yet another victim of listening and giving credence to senile Italian women. Pasta will cook to al dente in hot water that isn't even boiling and won't stick together provided it is thoroughly stirred initially. You don't even need a huge amount of water as is often also suggested and in fact you'll get a higher concentration of starch in the water if you use less (better for thickening sauces).

My fucking Asian friend did this
>making spaghetti with him
>he takes the colander and rinses it under cold water

Fucking gooks

but couldn't I just put starch in my sauce instead of adding fucking hours of reduction to the cook time because I don't want to waste water (but end up wasting gas instead)????

>Hours of reduction time
Nigger the high setting exists for a reason

>hours of reduction to the cook time
You're not adding a 5 gallon bucket of pasta water, retard.

It should cook off in less than a minute.

>not mixing a little pasta water into the sauce and letting the excess water boil off, leaving starch in the sauce to thicken it

how much pasta water should I add to a 5 gallon batch of marinara?

Anybody have a good spaghetti recipe? I want to blow my shitty family's expectations out of the water. I already have plenty of ingredients like onions, garlic,ground beef,and a ton of spices.

Tomatoes would be good.

Just take it out earlier you fucking moron

You don't dump the entire fucking pot of pasta water into the sauce lmao
Just a splash, which can be reduced in under a minute. A little starch goes a long way

Do you mean a sauce recipe? Spaghetti is just the type of pasta

Yeah, that's what I meant.

how long does pasta water keep in the fridge? should I just freeze it?

>How long does WATER keep in the fridge

>sautee some finely chopped onion and garlic until soft and almost coloured
>add whatever spices you want
>blanch a bunch of big tomatoes, peel them, dice them, and chuck them in
>simmer for an hour, and check for salt and pepper
>boil some spaghetti until al dente, saving some of the water
>toss it all together with the water and a splash of extra virgin oil
>serve with parmesan

That's just a really simple vegetable recipe off the top of my head. Using fresh tomatoes is the key here. You could use tinned to make it easier but it just won't be as nice. There are no large chunks in the sauce so it's a really ideal one to eat with spaghetti

>eating dirty unrinsed pasta

Thanks user! It's much appreciated!

it's salty sugar water essentially.

I dunno actually, never kept it for more than a day or two.

does anyone else unironically add pasta water to their soup like MPW says to? It's p gud

not with that attitude

>cooking pasta dirty

You're welcome. It's a simple recipe but a good one

This

no sugar?

>wah donchu add sugah like muh momma always done?

No. If you're using tinned tomatoes then a teaspoon or two of sugar helps to offset the acidity, but with fresh tomatoes you don't really have that problem

Oil? Not necessary.
Rinse in cold water? It depends. Sometimes you need to stop the cooking process.

oh ok, makes sense

I use alta cucina canned plum tomatoes, love them

I've never tried with fresh tomatoes

fuck yourself

best git erf muh prop'tee ya heer?

y-yes sir

What if one bakes the pasta, soaks it in cold water, and adds salt?

Yeah that's a good brand if you're going with canned. But going with fresh tomatoes (if you can get get them) really makes a huge difference for the better
Optional ingredients include mushrooms and peppers, either of which really add a big flavour boost (both should be very finely chopped if you're using spaghetti, and added at the tomato stage)
To be honest you can add whatever you want, because it's just a base recipe. Fried bacon bits, meatballs, spiced prawns, it's all good

>putting cooked pasta in a bowl and ladling the sauce on top.

>putting cream in carbonara
>putting cream in alfredo

But...alfredo had cream?

My mom always does this shit.
It's almost impossible to swirl the pasta in the fork.

Get good canned tomatoes from italy, theyre generally a bit more expensive but fuck they make a difference. Also add a couple cubes of butter to finish, some spicy pork sausage is also delicious, just remove the casing.

This

if you want pasta al dente you want to limit the heat so your pasta wont get overcooked + it wont stick together

People who oil the water dont understand basic chemistry. The idea is that it keeps the noodles from sticking, but the noodles are absorbing water, which means they wont bind to the oil.
Oil after, not during.
Salt during, not after.

the oil doesnt evaporate you know