Is the KJV actually worth reading through in its entirety?

Is the KJV actually worth reading through in its entirety?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lgSDd6Bkatg
bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12205084
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRTwKflrxkQCrP1ZbbKpdP8xoQu2AXT74
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Not if you plan on reading it front to back on your own

For entertainment, yes. For scholarly study, no.

Which would you recommend then?

KJV

Douay Rheims

PAPISTS LEAVE REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Honestly, if you want to study the bible I highly recommend NIV, but you could teach yourself hebrew pretty easily (which reveals a ton of deeper information and even hints at Jesus a lot in hebrew). But if you only want english, i'd just recommend using the NIV, other translations are good but KJV isn't exactly the easiest to read through. NIV is smoother in my opinion whereas KJV is more aesthetic I guess.

Yes. Although I understand why some people would say no, the language has always seemed appropriate to me. Its not really an obstacle if you're not a legit idiot.

I enjoyed it. Some of it felt like an endurance test, granted, but perversely fun if you take it in that spirit. A lot of it's fascinating even without annotations/further reading, although I'll definitely go for the latter next time.

Read The God Delusion and become enlightened like me.

I can smell the vape from here.

Read the Holy Qu'ran instead

Veeky Forums has always been a catholic/orthodox board
We need a frogposter inquisition to purge your filth

>vape
>implying I wasn't b8ing
Shiggy diggy do

Actually we are a based post modern board

because of the literary value, the KJV is (in the literary point of view) the superior version. many families, specially in europe, had only 1 book at home, and that was the kjv, so many, many people have read it, including, probably, great authors. it also helped shaping the english language. its also very beautiful

if you want to read a bible with a scholar intent, I have no idea which translation to go to

>many families, specially in europe, had only 1 book at home, and that was the kjv
Europe is not UK, retard.

>because of the literary value
Shakespeare is important for shaping the English language. but he also had a titanic impact on literature, namely its characters, plots and themes.

The Bible itself also had an enormous on literature and philosophy, but that is not exclusive Exactly what did this specific translation do to literature other make English speaker more literate?

It's not as influential as its reputation suggests.

youtube.com/watch?v=lgSDd6Bkatg

Yes. Also this: KJV. If you're doing scholarly study you'll presumably have teachers telling you what edition to use it's NRSV.
Plebs leave this board please.

Veeky Forums has always been congregationalist though

it's really not that interesting

Yes
YES

this is a great watch thanks desu. how do i become a commmanding yet quietly charming public speaker?

How does Veeky Forums feel about listening to KJV, or any translation for that matter, on audiobook? Is it considered not the same? For reference i will probably go back and study passages in one of my actual bibles, but i find it easier to get through the bulk of the text listening while driving or whatever.

For the KJV, get the recording by Alexander Scourby

Been reading the KJV as of late and this user gets it I think. Half of the book of Exodus and most of Leviticus is like twenty chapters of how God wants his tabernacle to have just these precise measurements of gold and silver, repeat for three chapters. Then he wants his burnt offerings and sin offerings and wave offerings all in a precise manner which is described for another ten or so chapters, it's ridiculous.

The rest of the batshit stuff makes up for it though like that poor Er who gets murdered by God for basically no real reason and then his brother Onan also gets murdered because God told him to fuck Er's wife and instead of impregnating her he pulls out because he's like "Wait a minute, this isn't right" and God just demolishes him.

The God of Israel is a petty bitch

bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12205084

>should I read the KJV?
>should I read the bible in it's entirety?

This. I did research a few years ago on which bible to read for study and came up with ESV with commentary. I don't remember what that was based on anymore. Something to do with the balance of literal to idiomatic translation maybe.

This happens in the first few books of the bible. It's probably the most tedious biblical contents (21st century gentiles are not the intended audience), so read Exodus, Leviticus and Numbers judiciously. I'm also not a fan of the prophetic books even considering the imaginative imagery. Everything else is fine.

I listened to this dramatized version:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRTwKflrxkQCrP1ZbbKpdP8xoQu2AXT74

>Reading a translation