What are YOU reading, Veeky Forums?

What are YOU reading, Veeky Forums?

what was the point of that emoji

Weil's The Iliad, or the Poem of Force and King Lear.

It serves no purpose
I just wanted to use one

capital

just finished up my last book
gonna start on either dubliners or sixty stories, haven't decided yet

Lolita, I'm gay

studying the American civil war and reading a biology textbook

Brave New World because I'm an entry level faggot.

oresteia

to show people he doesn't have an iphone

I'm finally getting around to reading Don Quixote. Good book so far, I laugh every couple pages

About to start Thus Spoke Zarathustra.

How does it compare to the symphony?

Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis.

I'm going to read The Children of Hurin. Then I will probably read Jude the Obscure. After that, I'm not sure. Maybe a big biography of Ben Franklin, or Stoner, or Walden, or something else.

journey to the west

I just bought the Children of Hurin, but I want to re-read the LOTR series before I read it.

Demons by Dostoevsky. Almost done.

Might read some more Tolstoy short stories next while I wait for my next haul to arrive and then resume with the Greeks.

comfy

Child of God. It's pretty damn funny

Egyptian Book of the Dead
Tender Buttons

Just finished De Niros game, placed a hold on Flowers for Algernon at the public library. Really looking forward to it.

My love for reading has been rejuvenated in the last 2 months.

>tfw ywn be a handsome monkey king

I'm about to finish Willhelm Meister's Apprenticeship, I want to read Elective Affinities next, but I might read something in between the two books because I've been reading a lot of Goethe recently and I don't want to get burned out on him. I'm thinking I'll either re-read Frankenstein which I haven't since I was in high school years ago, or read a collection of short stories, probably either Melville or Borges.

Fundamentals of Astrodynamics

Life: A User's Manual by Georges Perec.

Fountainhead by Ayn Rand

The Ego And It's Own by Max Stirner

about to start rings of saturn desu

Lolita.

It seems pretty ok so far, and the prose really is quite nice. I'm having trouble identifying any sort of central theme, though.

Infinite Jest

Currently rereading The Aleph and Other Stories by Borges. Next: The Nimrod Flipout by Keret.

the waves

>symphony
Tone poem.

Castles of steel by Robert K. Massie

T H E
A E N E I D

Im trying to read the Nibelungenlied right now, seems pretty fun

Anyone read Grettir's saga? Is it any good? What about Njal's saga?

>Nibelungenlied
alright, I'm a little over a hundred pages in, and its basically an anime. I can see the fucking manga pages in my head while I'm reading this

Sasuga, Gunther-sama

>reading translations

hopefully Veeky Forums and pinecone aren't memeing on me

Re-reading Gravity's Rainbow and, to be honest, I don't think I read the same book the first time. That, or I was a massive brainlet a few years ago (probably this desu).

Just picked this up at Goodwill the other day, make a post about it when you finish, I'd like to know what others think.

>It serves no purpose
So it's representation of you?

Njall's Saga is pretty good, I'd recommend it

I'm reading The Snow Leopard by Matthiesen

>The Snow Leopard by Matthiesen
How is it? I read some Muir stuff a while back, and have been looking for some more nature stuff

Just started on LOTR after finishing The Hobbit.

The autismal level of detail that Tolkien puts into descriptions and background lore is impressive, but it makes his works a bit daunting to read.

Silence by Endo. It's really pleasant to read.

Notes From No Man's Land by Eula Biss. I like it.

Gass's The Tunnel and holy shit it's beautiful

The Odessy, Fagles

How far are you into it?

That's all you want to know? Aren't you supposed to ask for my age, location and surface area of my prostate?

my NIGGA

Borges: Ficciones - El Sur.

>tfw 6 inches

It's really good, I pinky promise.

nobody's that handsome!

i love that he's just so out of control at the beginning and raising hell everywhere. he's definitely making quarterstaves great again. the plot is going different places now but those chapters are gold

I also like the poetic way that some of the characters are introduced:

Truly, he was a man of features most comely and noble mien
With ears reaching his shoulders and eyes alert and bright.
A cap of the Three Mountains Phoenix flying crowned his head
And a pale yellow robe of goose-down he wore on his frame.
His boots of gold threads matched the hoses of coiling dragons.
Eight emblems like flower clusters adorned his belt of jade.
From his waist hung the pellet bow of new moon shape,
His hands held a lance with three points and two blades.
He once axed open the Peach Mountain to save his mother.
He struck with a single pellet two phoenixes of Zongluo.
He slew the Eight Monsters and his fame spread wide;
He made as chivalric allies the Plum Mountain's Seven Sages.
A lofty mind, he scorned being a relative of Heaven.
His proud nature led him to live near the River of Libations.
This is the Kind and Magnanimous Sage from the City of Chi;
Skilled in boundless transformations, his name's Erlang.

So much fun.

no need to, there is no relation to LOTR that I am aware of, other than the same universe of course. Hurin story is great

About 50 pages just started a few days ago.

I'm currently reading Catcher in the Rye for the first time and since high school. Also reading some Hemingway short stories in between.

I may actually pick that up. The story of Turin Turambar was my favorite part from The Silmarillion.

Hobbit is one of the comfiest fantasy books every writter, right next to Wizard if Earthsea

Confessions and The Quran

Just finished "Do Andorids Dream Of Electronic Sheep?" while on vacation.
I plan to start the brothers Karamazov when I get home tomorow.

I only read a chapter out of Requiem for a Dream and have had it for a month.

A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
James Joyce

The catcher in the rye because i'm an entry level fag.

I just finished "The Map and The Territory" by Michel "Meme" Houellebecq
I'm gonna start If on a Winter's Night a Traveler, which is supposed to be pretty good.

Finished Phaedo by Plato yesterday. Think I might read Ion next.

Stoner and Bratko's Prolog book.

Dracula by Bram Stoker. For something that spawned a huge monster genre its boring as fuck so far. A slog to be honest. I've stopped twice now and read several other books and I have just broke 100 pages. I'm determined to finish it though.

I just re-read Catcher in The Rye as an adult since I first read it back in 8th grade. It was so much better now and I laughed quite a bit. I also just read 1984 for the first time. The ending made me feel anxious and little sick to my stomach. I havn't had a book or even real life do that to me since I was really young.

Foucault, "Discipline and punish"

it's interesting but hard desu

how many XVIIIth century municipal ordinances can a man read and process before going insane
it would not be excessive to argue that Foucault's latter, terminal interest in drugs and sex was just a long winding down from his 70's research

Shit nigga, I'm reading Chekhov too.

It's my time reading it, and I'm actually really surprised by how funny his stories are. I laugh on nearly every page.

Dude just read Dragonball lmao

This has to be bait.

Ah yes, I've been wondering who wrote that book, thanks

Good, not so into the Zen and Buddhist stuff but it gives good context into the culture of Tibet at the same time so it's more than bearable

Nicely written too

How readable is Plato?

Dostoyevsky is the besty

I finished The Trial and Death of Socrates (Euthyphro, the Apology, the Crito, and the Phaedo) and it all read very well. I have the Cooper Complete Works of Plato. Since this is my first real going in philosophy, Phaedo was the only one that had any noticeable difficulty. But afterwards I watched a couple of hours of lectures and it really cleared up my understanding. After each dialogue I try to read or watch what I can anyway. Also make sure to take notes during your reading.

>not putting down a towel to keep it off your dirty ass floor
Children, all of you.

>this has to be bait

Okay, I was shitposting, but I found Gass' prose to be very annoying. Too much alteration, 1000 similes per page, and constant name dropping. He attempts a lot of insightful and aesthetic pasages, but genuinely good passages are pretty rare compared to what the book pretends to be.

A couple passages I thought were great (that I can remember of the top of my head, because it's been a while), "with my eyelids pulled over me" and "[my father] in his surrender suit" (that latter one struck me especially.)

*alliteration, not alteration

The only good reason to use an emoji is if you're trying to antagonize people.

Shoulda gone with Fitzgerald, my man.

>caring that much about the condition of your material book
Besides, I had mine in my pants, not on the floor.

Trilogy of New York

The Steppe is my fav from that book. Enjoy OP I envy Ur first experience.

The origin of the species. Its pretty interesting to see how they thought things worked when they had no idea that genetics existed.

The decline and fall of the Roman Empire

I just finished the trial and Plato's 5 Dialouges. I'm not sure what to read next. I have the whole internet and a rather full book shelf full of books I haven't read yet. I even have an old kindle I could put stuff on.

Any recs?

parminides / heraclito
fragmentos

Finally got around to reading it. I'm glad that it's turning out differently than the films. Keeps the reading experience more interesting.

Man Jude the Obscure killed me. Just meandered towards nothing, which is sort of the point but still wasn't very fun to read.

Currently reading Absalom, Absalom! Really enjoying it so far

I'm about halfway through Stoner and I started reading it this morning.. it's actually enjoyable, I thought you guys were just cucking me

Just finished Stoner. It's one of my favourite books now. Glad I looked at the best of 2016 list.