Once I'm done with Plato and Aristotle, where do I go next for Western philosophy

Once I'm done with Plato and Aristotle, where do I go next for Western philosophy.

Other urls found in this thread:

mohamedrabeea.com/books/book1_10592.pdf
oyc.yale.edu/religious-studies/rlst-152
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

[insert terrible answer here]

Descartes

Heidegger

Aristophanes

Stoics

or this if you're lazy want to skip ahead so you can get to Nietzsche or something

did you read the New Testament yet? (you actually should have done this first)

What Philosopher interests you the most?
Read some of their easier works and then some of their harder works. Unless you care about autists on Veeky Forums that probably haven't even got past the Odyssey telling you that you can't properly understand someone's philosophy unless you've read literally all their influences, just read who you want to read.

You could read my diary desu, it's full of shit though

Plotinus

yeah sorry but nietzsche isn't even in the canon

OP needs a bit of Parmenides, epictetus, Boethius, duns scotus, Augustine, and finally Aquinas on the path towards modern philosophy (commencing with Descartes)

wew

augustine

Go for eastern philosophy

????????

Epicur -> Stoics -> Plotinus -> Proclus -> Christfags or Kebab

Just read Stirner and complete yourself, there is no need for anything else

mohamedrabeea.com/books/book1_10592.pdf

Use this as a guide (it's a PDF book over viewing western philosophers) but you really don't need to follow it stringently. I mean unless you are majoring in early medieval thought you can probably just get away with reading Plato, Aristotle, Augustine and Plotinus. Then you can read Aquinas and if you enjoy Scholastic Medieval Philosophy then get something like Scholastic Metaphysics by Edward Feser, I don't think it's necessary to read all of the Summa, Suarez, Scotus etc. You can literally spend your entire life read Scholastics if you read straight source material, the Summas of Aquinas are like 6000 pages alone. After that you can just read the essential Enlightenment readers and then whatever is going on in the last 100 years post Wittgenstein: philosophy of language, philosophy of mind, political philosophy, logic, ethics in analytic and continental traditions.

Can anyone here recommend me secondary literature on the following?

Aristotle
The New Testament
Epicurus

The Cambridge Companion to Aristotle
The English Bible, King James Version: v. 2: The New Testament and the Apocrypha (Norton Critical Editions)
The Cambridge Companion to Epicureanism

Intros for various editions of their works via Goodreads previews.

Bart D. Ehrman - The New Testament: A Historical Introduction to the Early Christian Writings

oh and also this video course, which uses that book

oyc.yale.edu/religious-studies/rlst-152

Epicurus
Stoics
Plotinus
Augustine/Bible

Gavin McInnes

these guys if you want some neoplatonism/early christian thought, also philo for a mix of platonism and judaism, then you could go to Aquinas. As for other schools of thought, there's stoicism and (one of my favorite) epicureanism, highly recommend Lucretius' the nature of things.

>not ending with the greeks

You can either delve more into Greek thought, start with the Scolastics or just say fuck it and skip straight to Descartes.

I recommend the latter option, but that depends on your interests

Romans, and then Christian Theology.

A mild of these two is the correct answer, OP. You can just study the between philosophers and ideas to get the other philosopher you want to see. Off course you wouldn't get a supreme knowledge or something, but it still get you very far.

i think that neo-platonism is the right thing to take a look at since most of the middle-ages philosophers reference it

I think Boethius is a good read since it covers most of the early christian philosophies as well as a bit of zoroaistism

schools of the Hellenistic period

Lucretius, Plotinus, Epictetus. Then do Christian Philosophy.

Kant

Once you're done with Plato and Aristotle, you're done, and no more reading is necessary.