Heinlein era of space travel

We made it lads, rockets land ass-first. Hooyah. What will the future hold?

Discuss big (fucking) rockets, meme habitats, jello babies, space "Launch" system, and Jeff "suborbital-r-us" Bezos ITT

Other urls found in this thread:

jerrypournelle.com/debates/nasa-sdi.html
youtube.com/watch?v=wv9n9Casp1o
youtube.com/watch?v=QBEfpVkwWS4
youtube.com/watch?v=-s5pK-VAteY
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodward_effect
nasa.gov/directorates/spacetech/niac/2017_Phase_I_Phase_II/Mach_Effects_for_In_Space_Propulsion_Interstellar_Mission
betternotmesswith.ytmnd.com
twitter.com/AnonBabble

When did Heinlein predict this in his timeline? I know his timeline is pretty well thought-out, at the very least. Perhaps we can draw some rudimentary conparisons

I found it.

the ass-first thing (as a quote) is generally attributed to Pournelle.

>"It was the SDIO that built DC/X and flew it many times. General Graham, Max Hunter, and I talked the head of SDIO (VP Dan Quayle in his capacity as Chairman of the National Space Council) into building the DC/X. It flew straight up, moved sideways, and landed on a tail of fire just as God and Robert Heinlein intended rockets to do. When NASA took DC/X over they burned it on the first flight. This isn't all coincidence. Proving that you don't need SuperShuttle is death to a NASA career. NASA and George Abbey make a career of owning access to space; they don't want you to have it without their permission. NASA is careful whom they allow into space, and if it were cheap to go there, they would have no control over access to space. NASA exists now primarily to pay the NASA bureaucracy and keep it busy ($100 billion for a couple of cans they call a space station that won't do what SKYLAB did a long time ago?). Giving NASA more money would not have build a space program."

jerrypournelle.com/debates/nasa-sdi.html

never saw that! interesting

Holy shit, I never saw this. Makes me sad that space was stifled for so long. We are entering a golden era of space development.

Jerry Pournelle is awesome. He had a book titled 'Enless Frontiers' which I loved as a kid.

Working for SpaceX now on the production floor. Glad to be contributing.

post proofs

also, check out rocket ship Galileo. The only book where someone takes an m1 to the moon...

>Working for SpaceX now on the production floor. Glad to be contributing.
I hope you guys are getting payloads booked that can take advantage of Falcon Heavy's LEO performance and BFR's upcoming capabilities.

They have a 12b dollar backlog you know... I wouldn’t be worried

Well, the froyo stand is getting me fat. That's about all I can prove.

>They have a 12b dollar backlog you know... I wouldn’t be worried
It's not the launch backlog I'm concerned about - communications satellites are solid business, but if the business doesn't evolve beyond communications and terrestrial data gathering, we're going to remain stuck in the era of Space For The Sake Of Putting Stuff in Earth Orbit.

Are you actually using pyron zoltek for block 5? Does insprucker smell like flowers? What’s the situation with the zoning drama for the ped walkway/apartments across the street? Is the billion dollar Japanese carbon fiber contract still up in the air? Have you finially calibrated your FUCKING TOOLS yet per the NASA investigation?

Elon really likes to use the railway analogy. He sees spacex as the railway. Once the railway is in place people will use it to do stuff.

IIRC he said that he really doesn’t want spacex to also have to design the habs and stuff for mars... just the transportation

>IIRC he said that he really doesn’t want spacex to also have to design the habs and stuff for mars... just the transportation

Aye. SpaceX could use more than Mars payloads for our species' collective BEO ambitions in order to assure business for the BFR, though.

There doesn’t really need to be a business for the BFR. Just a margin. Starlink will fund it prettty well

>There doesn’t really need to be a business for the BFR. Just a margin. Starlink will fund it prettty well

Circling right back around to >if the business doesn't evolve beyond communications and terrestrial data gathering, we're going to remain stuck in the era of Space For The Sake Of Putting Stuff in Earth Orbit.

The DC/X cancellation was a fucking crime.

if you want to feel bad about where we could have been, watch this

youtube.com/watch?v=wv9n9Casp1o

What are you working on if you don't mind me asking? A friend of mine is working on the interior of the BFR crew capsule, he's living the dream apparently

How spacex flew under the bureaucratic and corporate radar I have no fucking idea. Internal disruption of NASA due to political shitflinging? Nobody cared because they thought he'll behave as everyone else? Whatever it was if commercial crew is any indication commercial cargo's not repeating any time soon so they better make full use of that lucky strike.

Oh, I'm working on F9 structures. Nothing crazy.

Landing a rocket in "The Rolling Stones" works like that. Though they mostly land on places with low enough gravity that the dramatic "tail of fire" thing is more of a short burst from the main engine.

But they land tail-first, recall a mention of the problem of lunar quakes, and a big one in the past that tumbled a bunch of rockets that had landed at Luna Free State's spaceport.

In "Destination Moon," the early film made with Heinlein, the rocket lands that way, though they choose to show only the interior of the ship, and screens the pilots can see, during the landing, with no exterior shots of the ship during the landing.

youtube.com/watch?v=QBEfpVkwWS4

But it is clear that is what is happening, and subsequent shots outside the ship confirm.

Needs more SFAs.

Rockets are outdated concept.
Scramjets capable of easily taking an airplane to orbital velocity are few years away from reality. There is absolutely no point in wasting our time with impractical ideas from the early 20th century conjured out of desperation and technological inability. The image speaks volumes. No sane person would prefer the rocket capsule if given the choice.

>t. nervous British engineer

>No sane person would prefer the rocket capsule if given the choice.

One wanting to go into space would.

I think the crew of the Challenger would have preferred a capsule...

Can you share any juicy development details? SpaceX is surprisingly secretive about anything to do with the BFR, no new significant details about it have been released since IAC.

The best info right now are predictions from the spacex job postings. There are like 900 jobs available - almost all seem to be for BFR. Reading through some of the descriptions lets privy some details about what it will take to build BFR

I guess production of the prototype is starting soon then.

Insprucker is my fucking hero.

Ped walkway is nice, huh? You local?

Opinions on Lockheed Martin answer to BFR?

meme paper rocket to justify funding for that particular internal Lockmart department. Public companies a shit - everything has to benefit the stockholders, ewwww.

no, just a rabid fan. I remember reading about how the city didn't want to re-zone the nearby complex for apartments, and the walkway played into that drama, with SpaceX butting heads with officials and locals.

Spaceships is better than fewer spaceships.

Before anybody has built something is not the best time to evaluate which is better. But I'll b happy if it's of folks find ways to make lots of ways to get various payloads to various targets in space.

>More spaceships is better than fewer spaeships

>American flag is sideways
reeeee

youtube.com/watch?v=-s5pK-VAteY

>It's not the launch backlog I'm concerned about - communications satellites are solid business, but if the business doesn't evolve beyond communications and terrestrial data gathering, we're going to remain stuck in the era of Space For The Sake Of Putting Stuff in Earth Orbit.

That's literally all it will be for F9. It's upper stage is utterly useless for pushing payloads into anything except LEO and very conservative GTO orbits.

Will Space Tourism ever be a viable business model? What are other avenues for revenue in space?

Deuterium, rare metals, space solar power collector.

Have you flown fucking coach lately? You have to pay 10 bucks extra to get rocket comfort tier legroom.

>Makes me sad that space was stifled for so long.

t. brainlet

Not shown:
>Cassini
>New Horizons
>MESSENGER
>Kepler Space Telescope

>That's literally all it will be for F9. It's upper stage is utterly useless for pushing payloads into anything except LEO and very conservative GTO orbits.

That's not a relevant tangent to the primary point; Space needs to get beyond Earth Orbit, and that's what BFR is for. Still, who is building BEO payloads? Other than NASA science missions, no one is doing it.

Don't forget Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter which has better camera than current Earth satellites.

as long as we all agree on docking standard (interfaces, software, pressurization) then more is better, yes.

Jesus is that curiosity? I had no idea it was so huge

It's a common thread. You should see the hoops they had to jump through with the airport to put up the first stage.

>Look on SpaceX page
>Holy shit all those job openings
>Meet requirements for heaps of engineering type jobs
>tfw not US citizen

itar a shit

>Line cook
>Barista
>Must meet ITAR requirements

lmao what the fuck

Not an answer to BFR, just an answer to BFR's ability to land on Mars. BFR can do much much more than just land on Mars, including actually fly itself to Mars, among other places.

Cuz the guys talking shop are within earshot and you could be texting the premier of China, telling him everything he would be able to know if he read a few wikipedia pages about launch vehicles.

they even have their own no step on snek signs

can you meet itar requirements if you're from canada and get us citizenship?

>can you meet itar requirements if you're from canada and get us citizenship?

A citizen is a citizen for ITAR purposes, including naturalized citizens. Elon Musk himself is a naturalized citizen, who emigrated to Canada from South Africa before emigrating to the United States.

In vitro meat solves food supply problems, no protein grub farms or algae bars lads.

It will be all three probably. Need redundancy

>Make the entire ship out of ass.
>Always land ass first.
>mfw it's natures design for landing on large spherical objects in the micro level as well.

Terrible for humans but very cost effective for robots and materials. Pump and dump with orion rockets. Sleep on it.

bacteriophages only have ass in one direction

left: real design from a real company
right: retarded looking meme space truck when in reality all that shit would be automated, plus aerodynamic design is irrelevant
center: retarded rocket design with tons of unnecessary dry weight, no thought about how fuel will go in it, no thought about the engines, etc

Well people who want to make MADV made Viking and Curiosity, SpaceX didn't land anything on other planet yet (inb4 ULA, Roscosmos shill).

>shill
Well, no. Your just a retard.

Its plenty of time before they both refine designs. Good thing there are multiple choices of landers.

The Space Lunch System is still the best system there is.

More like senate lunch source amiright

Thank you for that glorious observation, however I AM interested in Ebola...
How the hell does it swim and land so smoothly?

Also
>Building a spaceship with bending legs

Can it be done? That would surely finish Elon Musks design.

more like nasa and nasa contractor launch system
congress doesn't dictate anything to NASA
they like things the way they are

The problem with the Lockheed design is the transport, how the fuck is it going to get to mars? What's going to haul it there? An SLS? Nope it's too wide to fit, even the Block 2 fairing can't fit it. Also it's just a lander and requires an entire mars space station to support itself, have fun slowly building a space station in Mars orbit piece by piece NASA... That's why the BFR is such a good design, it's simple and independent. It doesn't need a lander, a rocket to transport it to Mars or infrastructure to land there, because it is all those things. Also I like how Lockheed decided to use specifically 9 engines in an octoweb formation for their lander, I feel like this wasn't a serious proposal but just a swipe at Musk and an effort to upstage the BFR.

>real design from a real company

its not a good design
Cylinders are the optimal shape
And its not even a 3d model its just a paper sketch

Saturn-Shuttle style?
>Yo dawg so we heard you don't like Shuttles so we made Saturn V out of Shuttle parts, and we put Shuttle on your Saturn V made of Space Shuttle parts so you can be Space Shuttle Saturn V Space Shuttle.

>lets make assymetric madness because we're so addicted to retarded mass wasting "shuttles"

Pic related seems most plausible solution.

anything with wings on an orbiter is not plausible
Least it doesn't have a tail though

Whats those giant wings on the booster for either

BFR has wings.

Yes you need some aerodynamic surfaces to control the vehicle during reentry

Yeah it's the size of a car. I was surprised when I first saw that pic too

it's not a lift surface tho. It's a control surface

MADV seems to have wings only because of wider and more stable landing legs.

Ok guys, long distance space travel:
Solar sails
Electric sails
Magnetic sails

Choose wisely

Nuclear fusion + EM drive.

>Em drive
Meme.

nuclear nuclear nuclear.

>2018
>believing the EM drive is anything but a stupid N2L violating meme

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodward_effect

hmmm

nasa.gov/directorates/spacetech/niac/2017_Phase_I_Phase_II/Mach_Effects_for_In_Space_Propulsion_Interstellar_Mission

your unmanned golf carts are kinda cool and all but not how a 21st century space program should look like at all

oh wow, they get $125,000 to do a feasibility analysis. Big whoop.

>it's not a lift surface tho. It's a control surface
Look again. The BFR wing does not have any control surfaces in the design. In fact, the back end of the wing is blunted because its for vehicle stability and aft lift to balance flight loads during the atmospheric glide portion of any viable, low fuel use entry profile.

I'm pretty sure it's for killing as much delta v as possible in the upper atmosphere.

it is a control surface. not for lift.

from elon:

"Wouldn't call what BFS has a delta wing. It is quite small (and light) relative to the rest of the vehicle and is never actually used to generate lift in the way that an aircraft wing is used.
It's true purpose is to "balance out" the ship, ensuring that it doesn't enter engines first from orbit (that would be really bad), and provide pitch and yaw control during reentry."

"the delta wing at the back, which also includes a split flap for pitch and roll control, allows us to control the pitch angle despite having a wide range of payloads in the nose and a wide range of atmospheric densities. So we tried to avoid having the delta wing, but it was necessary in order to generalize the capability of the spaceship such that it could land anywhere in the solar system."

betternotmesswith.ytmnd.com

My momma said to get things done, you better not mess with Major Tom.

Refuelable NERVA tug also capable of using multiple types of fuel (including filtered water).

(note: he calls it a delta wing in quote 2 simply since it looks like one)

Which is what NASA should be primarily working on...

Why can't they just convert the Falcon Heavy or Ariane boosters into space stations?

>meme paper rocket to justify funding for that particular internal Lockmart department. Public companies a shit - everything has to benefit the stockholders, ewwww.
This coming from a SpaceX fan is so ironic lmao.