>can cook well
>currently in college
>want to go to medical school
>family pressuring me to go to culinary school instead

Can’t my family be fucking normal
Also foods you’ve eaten thread
>watermelon gazpacho with sour cream
I don’t know how they got it that sour but fuck me was it ever

Do you have a 3.5 gpa or above and study hard?

Red pepper Campanelle with tomatoes and sautéed zucchini and corn, it was in a butter/pasta water sauce.
>shit tasted like summer yo

If you have the brains, go to medical school. Became a millionaire professional by your thirties rather than glazing donuts at a farmers market in Wichita when you're 50

It’s a 4.0. Well, it was, but my brother killed himself last semester and I failed a few classes. I’m trying to get them excused from my record.

that's your family's way of telling you you're too stupid to get into med school in a nice way

Can you actually cook well, or is your family just saying "You out to go to cooking school!" just to be nice to you, since you can't do anything else particularly well?

I’m certainly not a moron
>32 on the ACT, didn’t study

Blueberry tart with vanilla mascarpone, the blue syrup was blueberry, but tart instead of sweet like the topping on the tart
>it had gold on it

I’m gonna shill for this restaurant, Harvest in Cambridge, Ma. 3 course for 30 something bucks, pretty good if you have a bit of dough to spare

>These portion sizes
Fuck fancy restaurants to hell.

Culinary school is almost worthless and it makes it harder to get a job if you let employers know. Med school guarantees that you will be rich plus you'll be able to eat at any restaurant you want. Either way, both routes will have you working 12+ hours days. To be honest, if you were to be a successful restaurant owner you would be working 18+ hour days unless you found the magic location where you can be open for a few hours then go fishing. If you want, you could always quit being a doctor after you pay your loans, then go to culinary school with all your money. The opposite, not so much. DOn't let your family drag you down and make sure you study hard.

It’s actually a decent meal user. I left quite full. That being said, I only have 2/3 of my colon left due to a motorcycle accident so I can’t eat as much as a person my size should be able to.

The lives you'd save would be better off dead anyway.

>Water sauce
Lmao wut

Tell us about how since the earth is getting overpopulated anyways we should just let people die or how literally everyone is stupid and vapid now user
>tfw so intelligent you realize medicine is inhibiting human evolution

It was butter mixed with a little pasta water. Not really a sauce, more of a dressing I suppose. It sounds a bit off but it really worked with the dish.

Sorry for your loss user. Your grades are good
This wasn't the case, carry on and pursue your passion with gusto. I'm also surprised your professors wouldn't give you at least an I considering the circumstances

why go to culinary school, there will always be people who can cook just like you with out paying for training. when you can go be a doctor or a surgeon something people cant just be after trying it at home.

I just stopped going to school. I didn’t tell anyone.

Don't do it user,'go to med school. Keep cooking a passion. Doing culinary will leave you hating food, it's ruins the romance, kills the passion. Chefs that like good don't last, they burn out. Id rather be a nurse that cooks than a line cook that could have been a doctor, yo!

Those are basically my thoughts on the matter
>it’s not me that needs convincing, it’s my family

ACT prep at my school was the ACT itself and I ended up with a 32 too. Good shit user.

Go to meds school, become a wealthy doctor and then use that money for culinary school

I should’ve studied! I think I could’ve done better. You too tho
>top 1%

Dude, go to med school.

I was a line cook for 3 years. Its long and hard and the money isnt the best. The fancier restaurants like the one you were shilling for do pay well, over $18-20+ an hour often times, but they require years of experience and you could make way more in the medical field.

Culinary school isnt worth it either. It all good knowledge but its no substitute for the actual job and it doesnt teach work ethic or good work flow. Its great that someone knows how to make all 5 of the mother sauces, cook the perfect french omelette, and bake macaroons; but unless they can get these next 6 orders in the window in the next 10 minutes they are useless

The 2 cooks that i've worked that were fresh out of culinary school were slow and did not have a good workflow
They had a great knowledge base but some of it didn't translate.

Most of the head chefs ive known would rather hire someone with a year of experience rather than someone who just got out of an 18th month/2 year culinary school with no/little experience. Unless you have an uncle who owns a restaurant or something and promises you a job the search will be hard

You also will rarely get to express yourself creatively until at least a few years down the line. Creating menus and making alterations to dishes are reserved for head chefs and management.

If you really want to refine your cooking most cities have places that offer weekly cooking classes in a variety of topics. From baking to fine dining to ethnic cuisines. Then you could cook more at home and be a hit at parties and potlucks. Maybe one day you could start a youtube channel or a food cart.

But dont go to culinary school looking for come out into a rewarding and well paying career. Do what will pay the bills first but always try to do what you love on the side.

That's silly. You don't have to be a doctor to pay the bills, and a chef will make more than enough for a place to live.

Yeah but like user said doing your hobby for your job can take the joy away from your hobby

>go into field where even if you're shit, you can comfortably and easily make six figures a year
>go into field that is the most dominate business failure, constant high stress, shit pay unless you luck into being one of the few gilded by some trend, have to work most holidays, weekends, and evenings causing you to never have a normal relationship

Yeah, being a doctor is a terrible choice.

This isn't meant to discourage you, aim for medical school, but perhaps keep something set aside if med school falls through, from what I understand even with a perfect GPA that's very much not a guarantee you'll be able to get in.

As long as you keep a B or above average, have decent extra curriculars, and do ok on the MCATs, you can get in to some med school somewhere. You won't get into one of the "good" schools, but an MD from North Eastern Bumfuck State University will still get you a comfy as fuck job.

Probably wasn't the best choice but I understand. I didn't even tell my friends my sister died until months after it happened and I didn't even like her that much since she stole from my family's business.

Im the user you replied to.

I made 30k a year after taxes as a line cook. I quit to become a bartender and now make just as much in half the shifts. I had enough to live but not enough to save and grow.

If OP has an honest chance of graduating a med school program he should take it. I know Nurses out of school making 60k+. Even the dental assistants and CNAs I know make 35-40k a year. When I capped out at 30k I felt like I was making max what an above avg line cook should be making without becoming a sous chef.

The "pay the bills" comment I made is advice I often see given to college students. Also known as "minor in what you love, major in what pays the bills". So you make enough money to be comfortable and give you more opportunity to do what you love on the side.

Yeah this, people really exaggerate it like you need to have had a flawless life to even have a chance, but the truth is even if your application is absolutely stellar you probably won't get accepted to one of the famous schools simply because there's not enough seats. Even if you're albert fucking einstein you're going to have to apply literally everywhere, the field is saturated.

Just a fellow medfag chiming in to join the choir; go to med school, fuck culinary school. You can sperg around making soufflé and shit when you're not on call.

Ah gotcha, makes sense, I'm not aiming for med school I just have a lot of pre-meds in my department and I've heard of plenty that had to change plans because they didnt get in.

They probably didn't apply to enough schools. Hell, you can even go to like mexico and get an MD if you're hard up enough for it.

Once you're in med school (and I think you should go for it, seriously, the quality of life of even a gp is ridiculous), you're basically done thinking. What you've got to do from that point on is become a memorization machine. If you've taken ochem, imagine that level of memorization, but for like five classes at once.

I'm trying to get into bartending

I got a 30 and i was drunk

Med school never interested me much, that's more up my bf's alley. I'm about to graduate with a B.S. in chemistry then might work for a bit then go for my Ph.D.

>Med school never interested me much, that's more up my bf's alley. I'm about to graduate with a B.S. in chemistry then might work for a bit then go for my Ph.D.
Don't fall for the interest thing. Maximize your market value. If you really can't stand the idea of an MD, check out a PharmD. As a chemist, likely you're topping out at around 60k, especially if you don't have any programming experience and since you're not doing p. chem. Yeah yeah, there are golden jobs out there that'd pay more, but you can't count on getting them. With either an MD or PharmD, you can still do chemistry stuff, but for more pay. Or you can just open up a gp office, feel some balls while telling people to cough and write some scripts for antibiotics every once in awhile for around 30 hours a week and have enough money to either fund doing whatever you want or take a second job that scratches whatever particular itch you have going. There's so much more flexibility in what you can do afterwards with an MD.

I'll be honest money isn't a huge concern of mine, there's a very specific personal reason I'm going towards a chemistry/biology route. I pretty much can't deviate from that path because I conaider it more important than anything else.

It's fucking awful advice, though. I went to grad school to do what I loved, make less than you, and have much more than enough money to live on with the added bonus of not being miserable for over half of my waking hours.

You get multiple plates of different things. Its a tasting menu.

Cryptic. Do what you want to do, and what you feel is right, for the right reasons. That's the only way you'll ever be happy.

Jumping into this as a new user, I did some kitchen work and culinary seems rather useless unless you'll be one of the few percent to go and make a business.

In the 2-3 years of culinary school (spending thousands) you can start at dishwasher/prep in a kitchen and be cooking in under a year. Take that cooking experience and find a lower end line job at a better restaurant and work your way up again without spending a dime.

Don’t bother with poorfags, they don’t eat more than two or three plates

Are you in medical school? I

Don't get me wrong I do appreciate the advice, I just have a really deep interest in the sciences, I never really cared much about money for personal use as long as I'm able to live comfortably.

>being a doctor
>comfortably

You can still become a chef if you have an MD, you can't be a physician if you go to culinary school.

Unless it's like dermatology or psychiatry which have pretty good residencies it's not all that comfortable. I hate people who do medicine for money though. Truly the most insufferable, elitist, cunts imaginable.

>Don't get me wrong I do appreciate the advice,
I'm the one pushing you to be a doc, don't worry, your responses aren't taken negatively.
>I just have a really deep interest in the sciences,
There are research doctors...
>I never really cared much about money for personal use as long as I'm able to live comfortably.
I keep harping on the money like I'm some kind of super materialist, but I'm not. I'm a couple of decades older than you, and I don't mean that in the "RESPECT MUH ANCIENT WISDOM" way, but just as someone who is in a different phase of life from you. Money has recently become very important in my life because now, I'm not just caring for myself. The biggest thing that caused this change is my Dad was in a car wreck and since can't really do around 30% of what needs doing to take care of himself. Since I live a decent ways away, that means paying someone. It means buying a bunch of accessibility stuff and arranging for trips over to his place on a far more frequent basis than before. My monthly outlays tripled essentially over night, and it's only going to get worse from here. Thank heavens I make enough to cover it, but if I made less, I haven't a clue how I'd manage. I'm sure I'd figure something out, but fuck...

Anyway, I'm pushing the doc thing because it's seriously stupidly easy once you're out in the real world to slide into another position. Your degree itself only super matters if you're trying to get into academia. Shit, I'm a mechanical engineer who is currently working designing circuits. What you can't do though is slide into a profession without the right degree (using profession in it's super anal and accurate sense). No matter what I learn on my own, I can't be a doctor, a pharmacist, or a lawyer without going back to school for another degree. A doctor who happens to know what I know about electronics can get my job though.

Getting an MD or something similar won't take away your ability to do science/chemistry.

No, I sell cheese for a distributor