When does a dish stop being authentic?

When does a dish stop being authentic?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gutter_oil
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

When Americans make it

Considering there's those videos of asian teens snubbing their noses at PF Chang's while their grandparents are happily eating it and saying it's really good, I think the line becomes blurred.

I mean, if people from the ethnic group that created the meal adapt it to the new culture they're living in with some changes, is that no longer authentic? It's being made by the same people after all.

AKA anyone who cares is a braindead numale hipster

I think a dish stops being "authentic" when it becomes something that wouldn't be made wherever the dish originated from. However something being authentic or not has no bearing over whether a dish is good or not.

Unless you're a historian/anthropologist concerned with food, """"authenticity"""" doesn't mean shit and you shouldn't care.

When white people other than me like it.

Exactly.

So boiled water with a table spoon of flour dumped in is authentic ramen?

Dishes evolve all the time though. At one point does a dish lose authenticity? Ramen is originally Chinese, but we consider it Japanese. Therefore, is Japanese ramen not authentic?

When you consider that people in china have to use shit like gutter oil
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gutter_oil
Then hell yeah PF Chang's tastes good.

As someone who's spent his life studying history, changes in diet and ingredients is one of the best ways of seeing shifts in culture.

It stops being authentic when it no longer tastes anything like the original.
Lineage, or the race of the guy making the food, or even the locality of the ingredients used doesn't fucking matter.

I'd say it's not authentic in the Chinese sense anymore. It's changed enough to become its own version.

>Used kitchen oil can be purchased for between $859 and $937 per ton, while the cleaned and refined product can sell for $1,560 per tonne.
Sounds like once processed and refined the stuff is actually good. Why else would it sell at a higher price?

>Sounds like once processed and refined the stuff is actually good.

You might want to scroll down in the article, it's quite toxic.

Yeah sure probably depends on how much it gets refined/processed. How else would you explain the price? Nobody would buy it if it's both shit and expensive.

>How else would you explain the price?

China is wierd like that. And I know that sounds like a copout answer but they have kind of a culture where as long as something APPEARS safe enough that it'll fool inspectors, it becomes far more valuable.

>culture where as long as something APPEARS safe enough that it'll fool inspectors, it becomes far more valuable
This is just false

Not really, it's money that doesn't have to be spent on bribing the inspector, which is your only other option.

I'm reading some news articles, and the sale of gutter oil commercially appears to be illegal in China after a bunch of scandals happened where the refined oil used in restaurants caused a lot of people to become horribly ill (because gutter oil has a shitton of arsenic) and the rest of the world caught wind of it. The reason the refined gutter oil is higher in price is because visually it looks the same as regular unused cooking oil, which means if you refine it, then you can sell it for maximum profit under the guise of regular cooking oil since all you had to do to obtain it was recycle used oil and sewage in the first place.

Now, if you purify it super hard, it is within the limits of legal edibility. That's the thing though, this is China, they don't give a shit about health if it means making more cash, and the total purification process is very expensive.

Sounds like simple economics to me.

This, usually when the most prominent ingredients are removed or substituted for and the cooking technique is changed.

When the meal is not conducted with authentic spirit

I was watching a video on seal meat

and all the snowchinks use this maggi soup powder I believe. from the government store. even the grannies old recipe contains it.

is this authentic?

are cuisines not constantly chagning?

is a maori hangi that's cooked in one of those metal drums inauthentic? does it have to be buried in dirt ? do you have to light the fire by rubbing sticks together?

I don't know the answer to these questions

I suspect in reality there is no such thing as actually inauthentic dishes. all meals are authentic we just use that word to mean 'not cooked according to the time period that I personally correlate with 'authentic' relating to that culture"

First Post Best Post