What is with the E-Reader hate on Veeky Forums?

What is with the E-Reader hate on Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0360131517300489
en.rocketnews24.com/2014/01/30/ghiblis-hayao-miyazaki-says-the-anime-industrys-problem-is-that-its-full-of-anime-fans/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

it's modernist technological garbage

if you're not writing with a quill and an ink bottle or reading by candlelight you're a fucking pleb

we like to make the ereader shills work for their wage. which company do you represent? do they let you read?
easy there kaczynski

I've never seen ereader hate on here but discussion on them belongs on /g/ really.

E-readers don't allow people to show off what they are reading to everyone else and stop bookshelf building for decorative purposes, thus 90% of lit is mad.

1: The codex is actually a pretty aesthetic way to store information and can help decorate a room, has a tactile feel, has a smell, and when people see you reading in public and see your cover it and what point in the book you have read to it can be a conversation starter.

2: Expanding on the social aspect, they discourage people from physically visiting libraries, they discourage the sharing of books with others, and all-in-all actually promote a more isolated reading experience when reading is already fairly solitary.

3: When children who were born after e-readers were invented are given both books and e-readers, they read for longer when using actual books. It's not just nostalgia, books are more enjoyable to read on and help you focus.

4: DRM on books and the elimination of the secondhand market is actually a hilarious publisher power grab to the long term detriment of the consumer.

5: Books are made from renewable materials. E-readers may mean less waste in shipping and less trees torn down but when people are replacing them every 5-10 years the rare stuff in them actually gets to be a significant issue environmentally.

6: They're a waste of money compared to the secondhand market and print books in libraries at the moment.

7: If you need to flip back and forth between sections, they are inferior to a paper book with notes. If you need to write notes down, they are again inferior to a paper book.

8: When it comes to large technical books, they are awful because they either have a limited resolution and are black/white, or you have to use something akin to an iPad which is obviously inferior to a book

This is not to say they are completely useless, they have obvious utility for travel, they can be significantly more convenient, if you think of time as money than ebooks get cheaper still, they are lightweight, good for the disabled, built in dictionary, etc. They are however highly overrated by consumer whores and technophiles.

T. Technophile

>6: They're a waste of money compared to the secondhand market and print books in libraries at the moment.
>mfw spent 100$ on a paperwhite and have thousands of books downloaded for free.

You can also go to the library to get thousands of books for free. I swear the "But muh free ebooks" crowd keeps forgetting there are free paper books, the difference is you don't have to leave the house.

>Paying for books

>why torrent movies or tv shows when you could just go to blockbuster

>the difference is you don't have to leave the house
So it's still better.

There is none, just the random asshole.

There was one user who actually posted a study about slight differences in information retained but otherwise it is the content not the medium

People are retards and consumerism is so ingrained in (mostly American) society that they think they need to buy a million different things. Also, "muh book smell." Nice job fucking up trees. I bet you retards still send letters to your not girlfriend instead of emails too.

I torrent all the books I read. Free books. Kill yourselves.

You haven't mentioned one of the biggest advantages of e-book readers probably because you either live in an English speaking country or a 1st world country. I as a person living in a third world country simply am not able to get books in English. Translations are lousy or non existent. Shipping is either incredibly expensive or not possible at all. I can't start with the Greeks if 50% of the starting books haven't been translated or if they have, haven't been done properly (Only a prose translation of the Iliad for example). The inbuilt dictionary is a life saver considering English isn't my first language.

Are you old enough to remember blockbuster? I used to pay fucking 15 bucks for movies, I still go to the library and pay nothing

Your third point is absolute bullshit. There are zero credible sources to back that up. Stop pushing shit around like a dung beetle.

the point was owning vs renting dummy

Threads about e-readers don't really belong on this board. I own one, but I don't really see why someone would hate e-readers. I can imagine why someone might like books on the shelf for aesthetic reasons though. I guess everyone needs something to argue about.

>free loan vs paid rent

false equivalency in a bad example, dummy

>too dense to get it and still can't refute the point

one costs money and one does not

>to dumb to see the point already refuted
>to much of a faggot to politely admit his example was shit

can anyone who has used both a tablet and e-ink indicate if there's a significant difference in quality?

I use a rooted Nook for stuff that I can't get through libraries, but even with screen filters, changing colors, tinkering with typefaces, taking breaks etc. my eyes feel sore for days.

>owning v renting still not refuted
>b-b-but y-your analogy

what's the language? my tiny language of less than 500,000 speakers has most of the Greeks translated including both the Iliad and Odyssey in both prose and poetry

sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0360131517300489

---

Basically I think my problem with e-readers is that I see people who barely ever read buy e-readers because they think they "Need them" when reading is a $0 hobby if you want it to be. You literally have to spend no money to be a reader. Paper books, additionally, have tangible advantages over e-books. You don't need to buy a $100 e-reader which will in some ways give you an inferior experience and will encourage people who already tend to be asocial and housebound to a fault to be even more asocial and housebound. One of the things I like most about paper books is that they're a conversation starter on a level e-readers never are, if people start a discussion when you're using an e-reader, it's more likely to be about the device rather than the book. It's the routine of going to a common space with people that have a common interest. It's taking a bus down to the library the entire time reading a book to pass the time.

If you want the advantages of an e-reader, buy one, I read eBooks, I have an iPad2 that I use just for reading PDF textbooks, I used to have a proper e-reader I got for free a Kobo but I got rid of it because of lack of use.

I just see too many people buying e-readers, less because they're avid readers and want the advantages, and more because they're consumer whores and things that are new are obviously better, so I encourage scepticism around them.

>$25

No thanks. If I want to read bullshit anyway I'd torrent The Way of Men.

i don't actually hate them or the people that uses them. I acknowledge its advantages (portability, being its own source of light, free books, etc.) but I just can't do it. I swear I have tried a lot to read different kinds of books on it but always end up dropping them, which does not happen at all with physical copies.

anyways I buy cheap second-hand books so its not that big of a deal.

also this

some books just aren't available at the library and buying them would probably put you on a watch list. better to torrent books and use the thing in airplane mode

Serbian. I can't find the fragments of the works of the presocratics anywhere.

I bought an e-reader for exactly this reason. I can't stand reading back-lit screens for long periods, but reading e-ink is just as easy on the eyes as reading actual ink on paper.

Is it really that common to bring a book with you in public just to show off to other people? I genuinely don't give a fuck about whether the book I'm reading is a 'conversation starter'. In fact, if I'm reading I'd rather not be interrupted.

>I just see too many people buying e-readers, less because they're avid readers and want the advantages, and more because they're consumer whores and things that are new are obviously better, so I encourage scepticism around them.
That's pretty cool that you can look at a person reading an e-reader and immediately know whether they're an avid reader and why they bought an e-reader. Teach me your ways, oh psychic one.

Redpill on airplane mode

>One of the things I like most about paper books is that they're a conversation starter on a level e-readers never are
That's one of the reasons I prefer an e-reader.
>will encourage people who already tend to be asocial and housebound to a fault to be even more asocial and housebound
And who the fuck are you to designate that as a "fault", you presumptuous twat? I hope you try to start a conversation with someone who's reading at that moment, someone a lot less caring about common courtesy than I am (or less cowardly, I'll admit), someone who will backslap your obnoxious mug, give you a nice conversation starter there, you gregarious little termite.

>you gregarious little termite
I enjoyed that insult

>And who the fuck are you to designate that as a "fault", you presumptuous twat?

Well as somebody who leaves the house and talks to people I get a more well rounded view of a world than somebody who is housebound and is too timid to even commit to being an internet tough guy. Starting a conversation and sometimes getting some interesting insight and sometimes getting smacked at least means you're learning about the world instead of being numb in your room.

One gets a very limited perspective being housebound and asocial and reading all day because you're viewing the world through a very limited medium. If you dream to create books you'll merely become a copier of the books you've read.

I read Hayao Miyazakis opinion on creating Anime and his criticisms of people in the industry being too insular and I started agreeing with him and I started seeing parallels in literature. eBooks are only going to create a generation of people that are interested in literature that become even more insular and less rounded than current readers are, because eBooks enable you to read without interacting with the world as little as readers already do, which will lead to shittier and shittier literature. This is why eReaders are a mistake.

en.rocketnews24.com/2014/01/30/ghiblis-hayao-miyazaki-says-the-anime-industrys-problem-is-that-its-full-of-anime-fans/

“Almost all Japanese animation is produced with hardly any basis taken from observing real people, you know. It’s produced by humans who can’t stand looking at other humans. And that’s why the industry is full of otaku!””

(Not who you're replying to)

>eBooks enable you to read without interacting with the world as little as readers already do, which will lead to shittier and shittier literature
(a) that makes no sense unless you assume that the only way to 'interact with the world' is being interrupted by people while reading, whereas in fact there are a million ways to do it
(b) why would that lead to worse literature anyway? Ereaders probably will/do lead to worse books, granted, but that's because they lower the threshold to getting published, ie any barely literate eedjit can distribute their ebooks on Amazon.

This photo makes me kind of mad
>2 screens
Why? Why add that particular aspect of the reading experience? Barely anything is gained by having 2 screens. At any given time, a screen is being powered and lit for no reason because you're not looking at it.
Is the point to entice people who prefer the "physical book experience?" Is being able to see 2 pages at once really a killer feature? Pulpfags tend to go on about a thickness of a book, the feeling of fluttering pages, and the smell of new books before they mention being able to see two pages at once.
Why put all the OS buttons in the middle? I think OS keys are already in inconvenient places on traditional ereaders, but they're a hell of a lot better than moving your finger in the middle of your book to press the home button that's already somewhere else in the OS.
It also adds a moving part that's bound to break.
What's with that outside cover? It doesn't look like it's meant to be some dynamic e-ink cover.
>it's just a render
Oh, well, ok. That's a silly idea.

what kind of fuckhead emails his girlfriend

what are some books that would put you on a watch list?

I this article comparing ipads to books? It sounds like it. It should be e-ink technology compared to real books. I am really interested how e-ink compares, but al studies i've seen compares Ipads to books which is retarded.

I don't hate e-readers I just don't know which one to buy

I don't have an issue with e-readers as much as I do with e-books.

While I will occasionally find a typo in a printed book, I always find typos and formatting errors in e-books. Pretty much every e-book I've read in the past year (12-15-ish) had an error or some sort.

It's fucking annoying that publishers are so sloppy with their e-book formats.

>google flipbook
>all results are exclusively about actual, paper flipbooks

somebody fucked up. Better hope they come up with a better name if they're taking it to market.

>While I will occasionally find a typo in a printed book, I always find typos and formatting errors in e-books.
wanna know how I know you pirate all your ebooks?

>Ereaders probably will/do lead to worse books
Elaborate?

Not the guy you're replying to, but I also find typos quite regularly in ebooks bought off the kindle store.
Formatting issues are also very common. That's why I now make sure to read the reviews on Amazon first before buying ebooks, because some (even from major publishers) are so horrendously broken they're painful to read.

I read on my iPhone 7 Plus. Thoughts?

I don't know how this works in your country but libraries cost a monthly fee plus extra if you don't return the books in time. And that's assuming they have the book you want to read.

Are you not always on airplane mode though?

No

Most people, but not all. If you're the kind of person who hordes e-books then you're just as bad.

It wasn't a yes or no question

You are dumb.

No.

Or, you know, you could NOT walk all the way to a library that may or may not have the book you want and then be given a limited amount of time to possess it, when instead you can just download a file that takes up virtually no digital space from the comfort of your home and have a massive library that makes the library of Alexandria look like a yardsale giveaway. I know, what a concept, right?

keked harder at this than I should have.

Harry Potter and the sorcerers stone

Simple sabotage field manual