Why did we have to learn arithmetic in school? Why didn't they just teach us how to do our taxes?

>Why did we have to learn arithmetic in school? Why didn't they just teach us how to do our taxes?
Tell it to me straight, Veeky Forums, just how retarded are people outside of STEM

Unironically very retarded

I don't see the contradiction there, you don't need to know how to do arithmetic to do your taxes, in fact, you should avoid doing the calculations in your head, and the hard part of doing taxes isn't doing the calculations. Granted, it would still be a retarded thing to teach to kids, because they wouldn't understand its importance and wouldn't pay attention, and because their knowledge would most likely become obsolete by the time they'll actually have to do their taxes.

Where did op say those 2 things are contradictory? Are you pretending?

I kinda got the feeling he thinks that way of thinking is retarded because you need arithmetic to do taxes. It was also suspicious that he used arithmetic in his example, when most normies only complain about the perceived uselessness of higher level math concepts. I could be wrong though.

Collecting wellfare and mooching off any provider really doesnt require arithmatic, so they don't need it.

On average, pretty stupid

If I had a fraction of an atom from our entire quantifiable universe and then multiplied that by pi I would still only have 3 times less than the amount of numerators required to grasp the true level of negative intelligence that caused those barely functioning vegetable to begin up-taking oxygen in the first place without automatically forgetting how to breath and dying within milliseconds.

The echo chamber is quite loud today.

Is there any study as to how quickly can a kid learn arithmetic? Seems the hardest part is fractions, but I refuse tl belive it takes 6 years.

Nice thumbnail tripfag

The people who unironically think 'uhh where am i gonna use quadratic equations' or 'why do i need to learn how to find derivative or integrate' don't realize that practicing mathematics whether its linear algebra, differential equations or multivariate calculus, trains your neurological connections to better equip with skills to think abstract in the future.

Not to sound all too edgy, but on average, people are average.
You would ask
>Tell it to me straight, Veeky Forums, just how small are people

Half of all people are "above average IQ". Granted, only a bunch are above it by 1 standard deviation.

My point being that your question is a bit flawed. Humans average inteligence is what you measure inteligence by.
If you surround yourself with above average intelligent people all the time, then I guess they are, on average rather stupid by construction - in comparison.

Yup the older I get the more I realize that this world is just one giant puzzle/rpg and having a fundamental knowledge of mathematics, physics, and chemistry is integral to getting to the higher levels

It depends on what you're doing. I mean, I've known people who could be discovering dark matter, but instead they are composing classical music, even though they are better at applied math than a normies.

ironic. half of people are not necessarily above average IQ.

that's like saying half of these numbers are larger than the average, 1,1,1,5. Only one of them is.

pic looks like a beta boy who went trap

>Half of all people are "above average IQ"
no, and you are obviously in the lower portion

>you don't need to know how to do arithmetic to do your taxes
People who suck at math are the most likely to have financial problems.

If you can't do basic algebra you cannot work as accountant, financial manager, or even as a bank teller.

I do arithmetic when I do my taxes. If you don't use arithmetic then you are retarded.

i'm a 30 year old virgin who's in his 1st semester at college for an engineering degree
am i too dumb for stem?

I'll take "What is the median?" for $500

>am i too dumb for stem?
Effort, Experience > Talent, Luck.

i have straight As so far so i must be doing something right

Its to the point that anyone not in a stem field should not be allowed to breed or vote. A good percentage of them should not be allowed to drive a car. When you think of the average IQ being 100, most don’t realize is thats just the average of the people who took the test. There’s a large number of people who dont even know what an IQ test is. With the current IQ definitions(as in not changing to fit the average) i would be willing to bet the average IQ in developed countries is like 80.

Lol, fucking insecure edgy nerd. You are cancer to academia.

Grades don't mean shit, go get some pussy

>i have straight As so far
good

You don't know anyone who could be discovering dark matter because it doesn't exist and won't ever be discovered.

Prove me wrong.

IQ is a normal distribution, where the mean and median are always 100.

See

You can use a website or computer program to fill in the tax form, so that doing your taxes is actually copying down numbers from your records / W-2 / whatever. Outside the U.S. you sometimes don't have to copy down the income side onto the form.

Of course you still need to know arithmetic to budget your shit or get any sort of job where you make money. Unless they meant "number theory" like "A Course in Arithmetic" but I don't think u learn much of that in any U.S. school.

>trains your neurological connections to better equip with skills to think abstract in the future.
>he genuinely believes this
The dawn of high-quality public schooling did not make the average man any smarter or more interested in mathematics or the sciences.

MEAN AND MEDIAN ARE BOTH AVERAGES HAHAHA SEMANTICS LMAO UR A DUMB CUNT