Are there any contemporary scientists who will be remembered as game-changers in the future (being on the same level as...

Are there any contemporary scientists who will be remembered as game-changers in the future (being on the same level as Darwin or Einstein)?

What names, as a layman, should I know about?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Xl0b2LGf9jM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

satoshi nakomoto

Your scientists are still loading. Please wait 'till the loading bar has reached 100%.

Estimated loading time: 2024

There really isn't such a thing as a Gentleman Scientist anymore. Most research is done on a much bigger scale since the low-hanging fruit (i.e. things that can be done with tabletop experiments) is all taken.

Look at Higgs Boson and Gravity Waves. Both of those things were collaborations among thousands of scientists with millions of dollars of funding, usually coming from a wide range of agencies and countries.

It was similar with the Human Genome Project and all of these recent exoplanet discoveries.

So, I guess, the reasons why individual scientists have less importance nowadays are:

1) much more people entering academia than in the past;
2) everything has become very specialized
?

You don't (and can't) know until after the fact.
Suppose String Theory turns out to be correct. Ed Witten will be up there with the Greats.
If it's incorrect, he'll be remembered as a good mathematician -- but that's all.

If Pons and Fleischmann had been verified, THEY'D have been game-changers.

When the world changes, THEN you note who was responsible. It gets harder all the time to pick out individuals because projects are so expensive that they require teams. Who discovered the Higgs?
That's why the people you're probably thinking of are more likely to be theoreticians.

This guy. He's made some impressive discoveries in the field of particle physics and German biological biology.

Rosenberg for proving time travel to be theoretically possible. We need Elon to build one of those Einstein-Rosen bridges.

Kind of. It's just that the stuff being done today is so massive that it requires large teams of people to do. It really goes back to the Manhattan Project.

>biological biology
>not counting his discoveries in negromancy
user.....

>negromancy
that's funny and anger-inducing at the same time
you're a female

Shinichi Mochizuki

elon musk will get us to mars and makes us an interplanetary race. mark my words fags

Shinya Watanabe

India will be a super power in 2 years. Mark my words, homosensuals.

it's a little silly to compare the work of Darwin and Einstein with people working on topics with almost no application.

youtu.be/Xl0b2LGf9jM

>

Bill Nye.

Well, apply it

>nothing innovative or useful

The technical term is Niggerology.

Axtell.

Mark my fucking words.

not science but Jordan Peterson is going to go down in history as a thought leader in psychology

We would first need some new math to be created on which we could base a new theory. Relativity is basically non-euclidean geometry applied on nature. It took around 50 years from the day Riemann completed it until someone (Einstein) took this new tool and build a theory with it.

We don't have any "new" math, so it is highly unlikely that a "new" physics is going to be established anytime soon.

Go away axtell

Musk will be remembered as one of the greatest rocket scientists of the 21st century.

Climate scientists will be revered for saving the world.

Me.
Screenshot this, fags.

>daddy_simulator.exe
That old fart is just preaching tired boomer-esque christian morality to millenial nihilists. There's not an original thought about him, and his sermons have been given out for free for thousands of years at your local parish, only he filters out the spiritual element for mainstream acceptance.

Want to have the same worldview as Peterson? Study the old testament.

Prove me wrong, you can't; and you know it.

kek you know einstein's special relativity wasn't built using tensors right? physicists also created group theory when they needed it only to find out it already existed

Nothing wrong with the old testament, literally God-tier book

I really like Humberto Maturana, but he's a biologist

Jennifer Doudna at Berkeley
Jun Ye at CU Boulder/JILA
George Church at Harvard

I know he is a meme here, but if he is right, then him, easily. Basically math will be transformed.

That doesn't change what I said.

How so?

There is such a breadth of science it's very difficult to make a concise list of the best modern scientists as well as actually attaining the heights of Einstein and Darwin. If I were to name a few, it'd probably be the likes of Drs. Job Dekker, Allis, and Felsenfeld. Though, I'm just a guy who likes to learn about DNA and DNA accessories.

My earth science professor, for his research into extracting climate data from stalagtites.

At least I think it’s cool