The Shadow of the Torturer is hands down, the worst fantasy book i read in last 2 years, and i read some crappy stuff

The Shadow of the Torturer is hands down, the worst fantasy book i read in last 2 years, and i read some crappy stuff

I have never saw a book that has no purpose no point, no structure, no overarching plot no nothing, but here, here i saw an author shit out a, incoherent narrative as he went along.

Shit happens: the book

Fuck who ever told me to check it out.
If rest of Wolfe books are just as bad i will be a happy man if i never have any contact with anything done by him again.

You've just said that, as a reader of crappy stuff, this did not agree with your tastes and sensibilities?

All right.

I know this sounds like a terrible cop out answer, but you really do have to read the whole thing just to begin to completely understand the series. But if you really don't want to do that well I guess no ones making you read it all.

I really liked the start, but it just slowly went downhill with the introduction of that one woman.

True and a shame

You're a literal pleb if you unironically believe what you're saying. End yourself please.

That's because it's not a fantasy book. Shadow of the Torturer is the first quarter of The Book of the New Sun.

*an

I agree with you. People preach about how great the prose is, and how it all connects together if you sit down and analyze everything... maybe that's true, but it makes a poor reading experience and while the prose can be nice, it can't obscure the lack of everything else.

Another meme to avoid: The Malazan books. Even worse than the New Sun series.

t. turbopleb

Maybe finish the book before talking shit?

>The Shadow of the Torturer is hands down, the worst quarter of a book that I haven't finished yet that i read in last 2 years, and i read some crappy stuff

FTFY

>tfw Veeky Forums is overrun with plebs
Fuck you OP knowing that there are people who fail to appreciate Book of the New Sun genuinely upsets me.

t.croat

I agree with you op. I get that its supposed to be really deep when you do multiple readings and have a lot of different layers and what not, but at the basic narrative level it doesn't merit a first reading. I couldn't even get through the whole first book before stopping.

This thing about not making it through the first book because of the narrative structure comes up so often that I'm convinced it's a meme. Do you hear people praising 'Book of the New Sun' or 'Shadow of the Torturer'?

Could you name five of your favourite books?

But even the first book is top tier. It has evocative language, an inviting mystery, interesting characters and a wonderful setting. It's not hard to enjoy and I am not exactly sure what's supposed to be boring about it, unless you are a >plot person

It's all plotfaggotry of course but if the first book was intended to be taken as a standalone the point would kind of have some merit to it since so much of it can feel foundational. I'm actually rereading the whole thing right now though and I was surprised at how quickly Shadow of the Torturer moves. There was never a moment where I thought the story got stuck going nowhere for the sake of exposition and it's always working towards something exciting despite clearly being intended to lay the foundations for the greater part of the story to come.

>unless you are a >plot person
I get the impression OP is a massive pleb. Could be wrong, of course, but OP seems like the type to skip the cetology chapters.

malazan books
wind of time
ready player one
star wars novelizations
hitchiker guide to the galaxy

You are going to need less obvious bait

Uncircumsized philistines proving what an effete and weak culture we live in, where the objectively superior are criticized by the limited, the dim, the offensively short-sighted and aesthetically retarded. It is possible from the beginning the Increate had some sense of what a pathetic mongrel breed humanity was, little better than a bare-assed chimp. Where are the estrapades to grind your joints, matter of any kind to fill your vacuous skull? Dick and Jane books are all you can handle - proceed on your way to eternal, poorly apprehended oblivion.

The characters are all flat and one-dimensional. Severian just seems to float from one encounter to the next with no motivation, goal, or desire. Things just happen to him and he goes along for the ride. Its very boring when no explanation is given for why a character is doing what he does. The book even explicitly says at some point 'why am I following this woman? I dunno lol' I don't care if it is all explained on a deeper analysis or whatever. Its boring as fuck and nonsensical when you first encounter it.

>I couldn't even get through the whole first book
>posts

The Book of the New Sun is just a way for superiority-complex driven manchildren to legitimate their love of childish fantasy genre crap. They think 'see fantasy can be a big boy book too' but all the actual adults take one look and laugh.

lol

t. superiority-complex driven manchild