Be me, study hard for 3 years to get an undergrad degree and accepted into honours in geology

>be me, study hard for 3 years to get an undergrad degree and accepted into honours in geology
>huge range of relevant extracurricular experience, very good GPA, genuine interest in the subject since childhood, can display a competent knowledge in the subject
>manage to get some decent work experience, a significant scholarship and a honours project with a good supervisor

All sounds well and good, until I realise that:

>majority of my honours cohort are average students at best and probably should have not passed undergraduate, had very little relevant extracurricular experience, the majority do not have a genuine interest in the subject and only decided they wanted to do it after their first year of studies, have poor knowledge of the subject
>they all managed to get the same degree, decent honours supervisors and interesting research topics, and some of them (particularly the girls) have been given incredible work experience/scholarship opportunities despite all I have mentioned

>of those not doing honours, most of my peers are unemployed, the majority who found work with big companies were again, under-performing women

Am I right to be mad? Why did I have to work so hard to get what so many people were given for free because of their genitals? What does this say about the future of academica and science based industry?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JVqMAlgAnlo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Am I right to be mad?
Yes
>Why did I have to work so hard to get what so many people were given for free because of their genitals?
Regressive liberalism
>What does this say about the future of academica and science based industry?
A lot of shit that's fairly negative

because women have been marginalized for centuries, if you have
>decent work experience, a significant scholarship and a honours project with a good supervisor

then you should have nothing to complain about, go take your roastie hate to r9k

>me and an under-qualified female apply for the same graduate position
>she is selected over me
>no explanation of the rational, logistics or mechanisms behind such a illogical process
>I'm expected to remain silent, or become unemployable if I dare question it

Those women are all dead. There isn't a woman alive under 60 who hasn't been treated like a goddess just for having a festering cunt. Kill yourself, roastie.

>go take your roastie hate to r9k

>implying this madness doesn't hurt genuinely qualified females just as much as it does men

take your LARP to pol or somewhere

btw who are you to determine what "genuine interest" means? elitism doesnt mean shit irl. einstein, in his writings, admits that he didnt take physics seriously until he was 25 so why does it matter if you liked rocks as a kid?

my advice: stop being bitter and negative. especially to those you dont actually know and about situations you make up in your head

I mean your entire argument seems to rest on the assumption that I'm not genuine, it's not very convincing.

I'm speaking about real experiences from my time at university and within my peer group.

youtube.com/watch?v=JVqMAlgAnlo

The system is the way it is. Thrive however you can and don't be bitter over dribble like honor role.

no, youre speaking from what you believe to be the case based on your personal investigation of the circumstance that I can tell was a flawed investigation by your use of "age first interested in geology" as a meaningful metric

you also dont "get" research, you have to come up with the research on your own so if they had good research, its bc they worked to make it good which contradicts your claim of them being poor students

>the majority who found work with big companies were women
how could you possibly know this? how could you know the individual efforts made by each peer at finding work? how could you know what connections they had?

this has LARP written all over it

I think all your saying is that you've had different experiences to me? That's fine, but it doesn't disprove what I'm saying with my own experiences.

I think he's saying that you have not proved your point, dude.

He has little reason to trust your perspective as an accurate description how 1) the world actually works, 2) what's actually going on around you.

He didn't disprove you. I agree with him however that you have not proved your own point.

I'm not proving a point tho, I'm just explaining my experiences? You are aware that there are people in the World who've had different experiences to you, right?

Yah, me and that other guy. Our experiences tell us you looking for an excuses.

Go outside for a walk.

Excuses for what?

>he seriously thinks employers give a fuck about your extra circulars
>he 100% believes that honors programs matter
>he actually thinks GPA matters to employers
>he did geology of all things

Lmaoing at your life senpai. When you get into the industry you'll realize that you're just going to be filling out forms and working with excel 90% of the time.

Whoever you end up working for will just give you an SOP to follow that anyone, and I mean like a monkey, could follow.

So if all your greentext is true, how are they differentiating applicants?

And that's not the career path I'll be taking, but thanks anyway.

They don't.

I'm going to level with you just so you understand how the whole "employment" thing works as I've been in particular industry for 10 years.

All the stuff you're talking about is splitting hairs for people who just get out of university. It's nice to have and won't hurt but I don't think anyone will care if you were in oil and gas club. If you didn't get out Princeton, Harvard, or whatever ivy league your employer won't really care. Mostly because your employer isn't interested in anything other than making money. So you will do one very specific thing for 40 hours a week.

Once you actually have experience, like more than 2 years, no one will give two fucks if you went to oxford or if you went your local community college. Employers honestly only care if you have experience. Like you should get your name on some patents or clearances/approvals from notified bodies.

If you are in an Ivy good for you man.You should go work for some huge investment bank. It pays way better than any industry.

Also
>he thinks he won't have to follow SOPs
>no matter where he works

Top kek

>tfw unironically enjoy working in excel

I never saw myself as a numbers guy but it seems to have turned out that way

Are you Asian?

my gf makes me call her a goddess, but she also calls me a god so its ok

I'm as white as it gets. Something like 6th generation leaf

Bump

>implying this ever happens outside of your imagination

Which part, the lowering of university standards or the preferential hiring of minorities to meet diversity quotas?

the overqualified white passed up for an underqualified minority part

Reminds me of Francis at the end of Malcolm I'm the middle.

It's usually whites with 2.5 GPA's crying because a minority with a 3.7 got accepted over them.
For example UT-Austin.

To put it in a harsh way, because by all standards the extra knowledge you think you have may either be unimportant or easily obtainable, so employers don't give a fuck about hiring less competent candidates. I may be wrong but it is hard to imagine your degree being useful (let alone an undergraduate one), so the fact that you're complaining about job opportunities shows you are not the chosen 0.01% who will land a job in academia. Basically, you may be better than your peers, but in your field the only difference is either you are really fucking incredibly good or you're not, and it seems like you're not the former.

>he looks at rocks for a living.

don't be mean to user about his geology degree. he thinks it's a rigorous science

classic.
recently went drinking with some guys from uni. one is a viet dude who had a 2.7 gpa, EE major, his mantra for 4 years was "C'S GET DEGREES" and he passed his senior year only on the backs of his lab partners.
once he got drunk started bitching about how women can't code for shit and employers are giving jobs to women instead of to the most qualified applicant
>tfw i was one of his lab partners
>tfw he can't code for shit

honours is a meme

I said in my OP that I already did land a job (in industry).

>because women have been marginalized for centuries
Oh fuck off. Its not like women are marginalized here in the West like they were marginalized back then, if they are really marginalized at all. Stupid white knight faggot