The Pork Chop Question

Whenever Veeky Forums discusses culinary abominations our family members exposed us to, somebody invariably mentions pork chops. Bad pork chops seems to be one of the most consistent hallmarks of a bad cook. Let us examine this in greater depth:

1. how did your parents prepare pork chops?
2. were your parents good cooks?
3. how do you prepare your pork chops?

Pork is haram

My dad loved pork chops. Usually with mashed potatoes, they were fine i guess. Not horrible. My dad liked them with applesauce cause idk

Breaded of course, sometimes with a gravy

My mother is an extremely good cook, but pork chops were one of the few things she made poorly when I was growing up. She had that old-fashioned attitude of you must overcook the shit out of them or the'd be unsafe to eat. She doesn't do that anymore though.

1) Pan-fried, with tomatoes, garlic, and peppers.
2) Except for pork chops, yes. Very.
3) I usually do:

-If they're thin I pan-sear them on both sides then finish with some kind of sweet glaze, like honey or apricot preserves.

-if they're thick I'll either pan-sear them and then finish in the oven like a steak, or I grill them.

Sometimes I'll pound them out and make tonkatsu (Breaded with panko and deep fried)

I think the fact that pigs have been bred to be so much leaner has contributed to the culinary downfall of the pork chop. Most chops these days have so little fat on them that it's really easy to dry them out.

I prefer them smothered with gravy and onions over rice. Of course they need to either be breaded and fried a bit or pan seared before finishing in the simmering gravy. I also make smothered chops in the oven and they turn out great too. I prefer them smothered because pork is so easy to over cook but u do like them grilled a lot too. We never had them often growing up except for pork In stir fry. I had to teach myself how to make them.

Can this not become yet another thread derailed by /pol/shit, please?
Did he bake them or pan-fry?
I genuinely don't understand how good cooks can fuck up pork chops; they're so easy and quick to prepare.
Got a recipe for pork chop glaze?

huh, that's an interesting thought. Mine always seem to have a perfect amount of fat, maybe even too much.
Do the oven chops taste as good as the pan-fried ones? I suspect that oven chops are the culprit for most of the bad chop stories.

1. My mom always just used the shake and bake breading shit and stuck it in the oven, tolerable but nothing good
2. Not really.
3. A splash of soy sauce on either side, rub down with olive oil, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder. Put on stovetop grill pan with some more olive oil on medium/high, 5 minutes each side. Put some parsley on that shit when its done.

Pan fry of course

My mom would get thin porkchops, marinate in fish sauce, water, thai chilis, sugar, and lemongrass for a few hours and then grill them. Served over rice and fish sauce+thai chili+water+sugar with veggies. We’re Vietnamese.

Tastes good, man.

Dad grilled the thick ones and slathered them in BBQ sauce, mom breaded and fried the thin sliced ones, occasionally with fried apples or sauce on top. Both were solid

Well, the oven ones are good. Not the same as stove top but close. I make my own gravy on stove top from drippings but in the oven I use cream of mushroom soup as a base and make a white gravy. I pan sear them in butter before baking and also only use the thick chops in the oven. It's a strange recipe but everyone that's ever tried them eats the hell out of them and likes them. Never any left overs. If you want the recipe I can find it and post for you.

It's gotten better lately, I see a lot more pork with proper fat and marbling on it now that the fat scare is dying down and the carb scare is picking up. But when the whole "Pork, the other white meat" campaign was launched the market was flooded with super lean meat and that lead to a lot of dry, dry pork chops because people were still treating it like a red meat and not chicken. That's also when bottled marinades really boomed too.
The way we breed pigs has changed a lot over the last century, it would interesting to try a chop from an old fashioned lard hog just to compare, but I imagine you need to go to Asia or Eastern Europe for that.

1. Seared in a hot pan on one side until it's mostly done, and then a bit too long on the other side.
2. They are pretty good cooks overall, it's not hard since they can afford good wares nowadays.
3. I rarely do but when I do I do it the same way but try to stop when they are just barely cooked through. I don't care if they are a bit raw at the bone, I'd rather have that than dry chops.

The recipe would be great. Apparently the cream of mushroom thing has been around for a while, saw people talk about how their grandparents would bake their chops in soup.
Oh shit damn, those both sound good. I like mine pan fried in flour and eat them with hot sauce.

1. Salt and pepper, throw directly into hot pan with some butter until a perfect grey and dry throughout
2. My mom was, but she never made pork chops. My dad was mostly alright unless it was pork chop night.
3. Tons of ways, but my favorite is to slather with spicy mustard and grill until medium rare

fkn love pork chops
My mom can bread them and pan fry them perfect, served with rice and veggies or mashed potatoes and country style gravy.

I never made them myself though. I've asked for the recipe, but never gave it a shot.

>imagine you need to go to Asia or Eastern Europe for that

Strange you'd say that. My asian market where I buy my whole pork belly gets them from Poland and they are much leaner than US bellys, even the pastured pork for double the price.

My mom would cook green salsa pork chops that were amazing, I still dream about them today. She is an amazing cook though, never had anything she made that wasn't the best of its kind.
I generally braise pork chops, first searing them on the grill or in the pan then baking them in a sauce with low heat for an hour or so. Tender, moist, and full flavored.

Was the salsa homemade, and did it have green chile in it? That sounds fantastic. Chops + spice is an underrated combo; most people just go the apple sauce route.

Take about 3 thick cut pork chops and lightly salt and pepper both sides. Brown them in a hot cast iron skillet on both sides with 3-4 TBS butter. About 3-4 min per side. Remove.

Take one onion and cut it into half moons. Lightly brown those up in the butter/pork drippings. Remove.

If any butter is remaining in your skillet go ahead and pour that off.

Now take one can cream of mushroom soup, 2/3 cup evaporated milk, 1/3cup water, and 2 garlic cloves chopped. Mix all that together in a separate bowl.

Put your chops back into your skillet, add your onions around and on top , and pour your soup mix around the chops. Bake at 350 for approx 45 min. Stir at 20 minutes. Serve over rice or mashed potatoes or just enjoy as is.

1) a few ways. Either:
- dry red chilli, black pepper and dry rosemary, powdered, mixed with pounded garlic, rubbed on chop and pan-cooked in olive oil; served with mushroom risotto and buttered spinach
- smothered in mushroom gravy with sauerkraut; served with carrot mashed potato
- if boneless, breaded, shallow fried and eaten with fried potatoes and gurkensalat
2) some things, yes; other things, no. They can't fry oily fishes for shit. Mum overcooks the fuck out of lamb and goat. Any octopus unfortunate enough to wind up in her possession will become borderline vulcanised, and suitable only for tyres and shoe soles. Dad's American so besides American potato salad, he can't cook anything more complicated that combining meat A with canned/bottle/packaged food-alike product B (like slathering pork ribs with storebought bbq sauce, for example).
3) the ways I described above.

The secret to good pork chops is to put them in salty water a day ahead of time.

1. Baked and breaded, dry as all shit and a miserable experience without a glass of water.
2. For the most part, no. Most of their dishes were baked and a lot of them lacked any seasoning. My moms burgers and meatballs were good, though.
3. I fry them in a pan with peanut oil and flour. Honestly the best pork chops I have ever tasted (excluding a lou-au I was at once) and extremely simple to make.

Sounds bretty good!
Those sound like some fancy chops, even if they weren't all-around great cooks.
Gonna try this next time, how salty are we talking?
Sounds very similar to my parents in general, though my mom's chops didn't even have breading. What does the peanut oil add to the dish?

Very salty. The cooking term is a "brine". I wash them off afterwards.

Good to know, never actually tried brining anything before. I just marinate.

My white people parents marinated the pork chops in orange juice and brown sugar and it was always tasty and moist.

I have read too many posts where people finish them with sone sweet bullshit. Meat should never be sweet, fuck anyone who chooses this option. Pan seared with salt, pepper, garlic, and some herbs is a good way to eat it. Don't throw some sweet bullshit on it, if you do, then you don't like the flavor of pork, you like diabetus.

Wubba DUB DUBS XD!!

1. Depends on the dish, sometimes pan seared after marinating, sometimes breaded and shallow pan fried
2. Just my mother, my father could make breakfast and thats it
3. Depends on the dish. Personal preference is probably breaded as part of a jap curry or pork chop rice

>Meat should never be sweet
dude...

>usually oven baked, sometimes with an apricot sauce
>yes, porkchops were one of my favorites growing up, almost always good
>marinate with olive oil, basalmic vinegar, rosemary, sage, and garlic, then bake in a glass dish

My gf only eats them with applesauce; she claims it aids in digestion. My dad, however, always just seasons and grills them and that's how I prefer them.

1. Boil it in water for 45 minutes, add salt after paying dry with dish towel
2. No, not even for flyover standards
3. S+P, rosemary, thyme, paprika, cook 4 cuts (bone in) in a tbsp of butter. Sometimes I add a bit of red wine, usually not. Finish in oven.

Excuse my lack of knowledge of proper uhm, flavor descriptors, I'm newish. It just sort of adds a savory taste to the breading which goes extremely well with the taste of the meat itself. It's not enough to actually taste peanut but I haven't really experienced a case where peanut oil tasted that way.

Some of the ones in this thread sound delicious, I've had them prepared a few different ways and nothing really beats the how well it all cooks together.

It's surprising, I know, but it'd definitely worth a try. Just be ready for a pan that requires a lot of work to clean afterwards.

Throw them directly into the trash.

1.they don't
2.they're not
3.mix marinade of gochujang and bbq sauce, garlic, grilled.

My mom salt and peppers them, so does my dad. My dad's pork chops are always a bit juicier cuz he uses a thermometer
They were okay. I grew up cooking most the meals after my parents divorced but my dad was always really decent, like a 6/10. He loves watching Alton brown and those types and recreating what they do.
I like to do mine in a BBQ sauce marinade then cooked on a skillet since no grill

>Got a recipe for pork chop glaze?
All I do is:
-salt & pepper the chops
-pan sear them
-when they're nearly done I just put something sweet on them. Anything that contains a lot of sugar works. I normally use honey or preserves. There's no recipe, just drizzle a little of that onto the chops and give it a few seconds on both sides, high heat, to caramelize the glaze. You could use BBQ sauce, chutney, just about anything.

t. grew up with bad cook parents