Is it retarded to pour franks red hot sauce in the buttermilk your marinating your chicken in?

Is it retarded to pour franks red hot sauce in the buttermilk your marinating your chicken in?

Do you like the flavour?

I've done worse.

Its no more retarded than marinating in buttermilk.

Of course not. I always marinate my wings or chicken pieces for fried chicken in buttermilk, hot sauce, black pepper, and garlic. It works great. I marinate the chicken overnight, as well.

Why do you think it's bad to marinate in buttermilk? I can't wait to hear this.

it's expensive and wasteful. brining in simple seasoned salt water is optimal.

How poor are you? Buttermilk costs nothing and tastes completely different from soaking in brine.

This

Buttermilk is $2.88 a jug at target

buttermilk costs just as much as the chicken itself. what a waste

Just make your own buttermilk, you can get unsalted butter for a few cents and just get a regular gallon of milk that you will still have tons left over when you make your buttermilk.

is this true? i don't even need butter?

It can be split in half for 2 meals at $1.44. If you buy an 8 pack of foster farms thigs for $7 and split that in two it’s $3.50. So no it’s actually $2.06 cents less.

It's neither, poorfag. Buttermilk has enzymes that are better at tenderizing then salt water, as well as providing the same osmosis that salt water does. You're cheap and gay, faggot.

Do poorfags really rationalize like this?

It technically doesn't have the live cultures that store bought buttermilk has but in every other way it acts exactly the same

For me the pickle brine

Who even tenderizes chicken? If its tough its because you dont know how to cook. Marinade chicken for flavor not tenderness...and what kind of depression-era hillbilly actually likes the flavor of buttermilk.

Rationalize is a strong word

Poorfags don't rationalize anything.
I had a room mate one time who was poor, some of the craziest mental gymnastics I've ever seen to justify cheap and or disgusting behavior.

>Who even tenderizes chicken?
It's an old fashioned practice. Tradition. It goes back to the time before factory farming. Back then, when you wanted "fried chicken" you found a yardbrird. You didn't have a young chicken readily available for you. When you were dealing with an older bird you certainly would want to tenderize it. You might recall hearing terms for chickens like "Fryer, broilers, or "stew hens". That refers to the age of the bird. A chicken for frying should be very young, like today's factory farmed chicken. But you didn't have that in the past.

These days you don't need the tenderization. However the flavor imparted by the buttermilk has become classic.

You are such a fucking tight ass pleb. Enjoy your flavorless existence.

This true. However, wings and breasts still benefit from tenderization.

No they dont. If your chicken is tough you are doing it wrong.

I dont think you know what that means.
And i will...an existence without the fowl[haha] taste of diary bi-products.
Buttermilk was for desperate hungry people and livestock.

This. If your breast is coming out tough then stop overcooking it.

Yes, buttermilk was originally the waste product left behind after making butter. But in my opinion the flavor it adds to fried chicken is excellent. The tenderization it provides may not be required when using young chicken, but the flavor is an iconic, expected, part of the dish.

And better yet: find yourself an old chicken. They have a lot more flavor than a young fryer. Tenderize it and then fry it. That has a hell of a lot more "chicken" flavor than using a young factory-farmed chicken.

You're a fucking moron.

This guy gets it.

Breast meat is naturally tougher. Period. That's just fact. As are wings. Which is exactly WHY you should never overcook them.

It's okay for a substitute but it really isn't the same thing, at least for baked goods/pancakes/etc.

Buttermilk is a lot thicker and that means you can use a little more of it resulting in baked goods that are more moist. But for marinating chicken it's probably fine, although the flavor will be a little different.

>Breast meat is naturally tougher. Period. That's just fact.
No it isn't. I think you're just trolling but the parts of the animal that get used more often are tougher, and for a chicken that would be the legs and wings.

>Not understanding chicken meat.
Legs are never tougher than breast meat.

>Not enjoying a cold glass of Bulgarian buttermilk.

It's like you don't enjoy delicious, gut-healthy beverages.

I prefer Louisiana hot sauce

>And for a chicken that would be the legs and wings

Which muscle do you think controls wing movement in a chicken?

Hot sauce is a dollar. The buttermilk is like 3 bucks but you can also use it in the mashed potatoes.

the brain

>But for marinating chicken it's probably fine
Wont the acids from the homemade stuff fuck with meat while marinating?

>the brain is a muscle

Do you think that chickens spend most of their time flying? Or walking around on the ground?

Chickens have radically different types of muscle in their body. The breast and wing muscle, which is used rarely (because chickens don't fly very often), and the rest of their body, which is used much more often. That explains why the breast is "white" whereas the legs are "dark meat". The type of muscle is different. The white breast meat is used far less than the darker leg meat.

Compare that to a different bird that spends a lot of its time flying, like a duck. Duck breast is red meat.

There is an excellent discussion of this in Modernist Cuisine. Vol. 3, chapter 11.

The acid is supposed to fuck with the meat. That's where the tenderization comes from. Old-fashioned buttermilk was also acidic. That's because it lacto-fermented back in the days before refrigeration. The "cultures" in "cultured buttermilk" are lactic-acid producing bacteria.

>Muscles "control" movement

I think user meant to say what muscle moves the wings on a chicken. Because the idea of a muscle controlling anything is ludicrous.

>Is it retarded to pour franks red hot sauce in the buttermilk your marinating your chicken in?

it's not as retarded as it is to pour it in the buttermilk you drink

i didn't read other replies to this, but i wanted to say one thing.
i feel like brining is for baking/smoking and buttermilk is for frying... i dunno though. could be just me.

>I had a room mate one time who was poor, some of the craziest mental gymnastics I've ever seen to justify cheap and or disgusting behavior.

Like what?

>Butter
>In buttermilk

Fuck you're a dumb.

What can i do with chicken marinated in buttermilk and hot sauce besides coat and fry it? I have a few pieces left over

Grill it, pan-fry it, bake it, cut it up and stir-fry it.....anything really.

I was thinking more about compatable flavores.

Again, anything really.

GTFO yank

>Which is exactly WHY you should never overcook them
Thanks chef, I normally overcook everything, but now that I know not to ruin this specific dish, I won't. Good work lad.