I'm writing a Star Trek story...

I'm writing a Star Trek story, and I need an interesting astrophysics-related phenomena that an obsessed astronomer could dedicate his life to studying. Something rare.

I will give you co-author's credit if I use your idea.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=A5TUneTiFWU
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stellar_collision
youtube.com/watch?v=DeVdzSjPx0g
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

it's not exactly the most original idea but you could just go with stellar collisions

The great attractor

It's too late to be writing about it now lad.
You're living in it.

He's starting to suspect that all the different species and scenarios in the Star Trek universe hint that they're existing in a simulation of some sort.

He keeps finding evidence of an entity named "R'den Bari" referenced in many ancient alien anthropological digs, a "Great Bird of the Galaxy" who is considered the Eldest, Creator God.

Noice

Gamma ray bursts

OI WOT IF STAR TREK WUZZA SIMYULASHUN FUCKIN MENTAL BRUV

The universe is huge, the galaxy is tiny.

You could spend a lifetime studying phenomena that are common in the universe and rare in the galaxy. What I think someone could spend their life studying are

Binary blackhole collisions. These are big news right now. They teach us a lot about gravity waves.

Type 1a Supernova. The standard candle of astronomy. We've seen hundreds of them across the universe and none in our own galaxy since the year 1604. The thing about this that makes it neat to study is you can study a binary star undergoing the process of becoming a Type 1a Supernova without ever seeing the supernova in your lifetime and your work is still important.

A T Tauri star undergoing nuclear fusion for the first time. The literal birth of a star. This happens about 100 times a year throughout the galaxy but I'm sure we can learn a lot about going to a location and watching it happen live.

A magnetar and what happens around it's insane 10^11 tesla magnetic field

This is interesting. Like he discovers a new form of life that can only exist within magnetic fields of extreme intensity. To combine this with what said, references to these entities could have been found in ancient texts from many different civilizations Galaxy wide. They could have been said to have the secrets of creation itself or to bestow some sort of insane power to those who seek them. This is all very great thank everybody for contributing. Please , give me more

Many styles
more powerful than gamma rays
My grammar pays
like Carlos Santana plays
"Black Magic Woman"

So while you fuming, I'm consuming mango juice under Polaris
You just embarrassed
Cuz it's your Last Tango in Paris

And even after all my logic and my theory,
I add a "muthafucka" so y'all ign'int niggas hear me

>As described in the February 2003 Scientific American cover story, remarkable things happen within a magnetic field of magnetar strength. "X-ray photons readily split in two or merge together. The vacuum itself is polarized, becoming strongly birefringent, like a calcite crystal. Atoms are deformed into long cylinders thinner than the quantum-relativistic de Broglie wavelength of an electron." In a field of about 105 teslas atomic orbitals deform into rod shapes. At 1010 teslas, a hydrogen atom becomes a spindle 200 times narrower than its normal diameter.

Fascinating.

Tesla mentioned that space itself does not have properties but aether does. Einstein disagreed and proposed that space/time can bend like a fabric. Aether Vs Relativity. Einstein Vs. Nikola Tesla.

In order for the science fiction (time travel and black holes) to work you'll need to side with relativity as the winner. In reality, aether is how the electric universe works. Electromagnetism is what rules the universe, not gravity. You can access zeropoint energy and fusion power with aether physics but not worm holes and time travel.

Forgot to mention, FTL (faster than light) travel is possible under aether physics by treating aether like a liquid medium and generating quarter (1/4) pilot waves. Relativity would have you believe in bending space/time to accomplish the same feat. This is referred to as "warp drive".

With aether one can also create elements from "thin air" since there is an abundance of neutrinos. Neutrinos are the building blocks of all atoms.

Mechanical analogy to warp drive would be oscillating a medium with waves to propel a ship: youtube.com/watch?v=A5TUneTiFWU

>astrophysics-related phenomena that an obsessed astronomer could dedicate his life to studying

stellar collisions, esp if they involve degenerate matter

black holes, neutron stars, and white dwarfs occasionally collide, and when they do, produce some of the most energetic phenomena in the universe

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stellar_collision

this doesn't happen very often BUT you could imagine an apocalyptic group of fanatics seeking to destabilize binary star systems. by some kind of subspace manipulation, they could cause the stars' precession to change by a factor of a billion, leading to a merger in the span of years. at the exact moment of merging, there may briefly be some new physics to take advantage of, for instance, something that goes beyond warp technology.

False vacuum failure

A magnetic monopole.

kinda popsci but, Kugelblitz?

Why not just use the galactic barrier?

Let me clarify. The galaxy is basically a plane. So from Earth being the center let us say someone went straight up for a long while and built an observatory studying the galactic barrier with deep space. Exposure to this area in the past tos stories can cause mental powers. Why? By picards day I'm sure they understand more than Kirk. People are researching it.

Condensed electricity and/or condensed solid light stars... Tip of the starberg.

Kys

The thing about Trek writing is you have to be careful. You don't want to set your heroic explorers of the future to studying something that will be worked out pretty well by the time your story gets out there (hence, "phasers" instead of "lasers," since GR was worried lasers would be too commonplace by the time the series was out and viewers would be saying, "Wait, MY laser doesn't work like that!"

Similarly, you don't want to go with something that FEELS like it should be understood by then.

For that reason, I'd go with something a bit fictional, as the series(es) often did. Not as obviously made-up as red matter, but something that sounds plausibly like the next weird name we'd give to something. Trek got pretty heavily into worm-holes, maybe some variation on that? Multi-branched worm-holes? I dunno.

Barring that, I always wanted them to go back and deal with that "border of the galaxy" was such a dumb idea, it needs retconning. Have your guy discover that the border is gone, and is dedicating his life to understanding whahoppen? Or, since it makes no sense, trying to discover why it is there.

Unless they answered that in the Kirk-meets-God movie, I can't remember.

I like the idea of an insane astronomer that believes all this electric universe stuff.

I also want Tesla and Einstein to meet somehow. But not in the fucking holodeck, fuck the holodeck.

Would a black site coworker please slap this relative tardlet whilst exclaiming "shut up idiot!" on the next given opportunity. Try to draw straws and nominate one slapper, otherwise the whole department may get the memo and he could be getting slapped on and off for days, possibly even weeks.

If I'm understanding what I'm reading correctly, that's what powers Romulan ships.

Thanks for your help! I couldn't help but laugh, why did you post pictures of Keanu Reeves

Bump via bump

What is more insane? Black holes, time travel and multiple dimensions?(relativity) OR particles that share and exchange energy? (Electric Universe).

Aether physics is not part of electric universe(EU) since EU is mostly about comparing space phenomenon with known electric engineering principles. EU is more empirical than relativity. Tesla was a practical experimenter and inventor with many patents. Einstein was mostly a mental masturbator with stolen ideas.

Old Keanu Reeves Movie 'Chain Reaction', released in 1996.

Dear Op, the electric universe is currently paving the way to understanding how the sun works. With this knowledge, we will have fusion power without large multi-billion science projects controlled by the military industrial complex.

SAFIRE generates the same energy densities as the sun’s photosphere and nuclear bombs …

... in a laboratory on Earth

youtube.com/watch?v=DeVdzSjPx0g

Ancient mechanisms buried deep within 1 in every 10 planets in the universe can be controlled by a person with sufficient willpower and endurance. That one person is chosen, but he goes mad with power and nearly destroys all life in the galaxy. But before he could enact his plans to become the single most powerful lifeform in the universe...

This is something I'd watch\read. Helpless life form drifts through space towards the center of highest gravity while encountering more advanced and incomprehensible lifeforms as they get closer to the center. Ends with them being sucked into a black hole and their journey being for nothing

Superposition. Entanglement. Dark matter. Multiverse theory. Electromagnetic gravity repulsion and how that is going to be our main method of travel in 50 years.

Metroid did it first with the Chozo

Are we talking Science fiction Star Trek or Science Fantasy Star Trek?

If OP is thinking about mental powers I'd go with the latter