Coffee thread

Or /cg/, whatever. I've always hated coffee without shitloads of sweetener, which made it basically white, it was always too bitter for my tastes, and I've only recently figured out why.

My mother always had coffee in a french press for about 10-30 minutes. I've since then learned that water overextracts the coffee after about 3-5 minutes, even less or more depending on grind size and grind evenness, resulting in a fucked up coffee. It also depends on a bunch of other stuff, like water temp, bean freshness, and grind size/grind freshness. All of which seems to be things she likely fucked up in some way.

Please teach me how to make coffee that doesn't taste like monkey piss?

Pic related is the brand and container I've got.

Other urls found in this thread:

livescience.com/47433-counterfeit-coffee-busted-by-chemists.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You're using a drip-pot, you retard.

Also, learn how to appreciate bitter.

I've got an espresso machine and a french press, that's it.

I've never been able to make good coffee from pre-ground beans.

I just use a Keurig. Works perfectly fine, and there is plenty of variety with K-Cups.

Used to have a french press, but eh.

2nd point.

are you dumb?

Water temp never reached over 180f for me, ideal cooking temp is around 200-205 for me
This
Get a pour over, like Bodum or Chemex meme
Temp of water should be short of boiling, grind beans yourself (ground beans become stale minutes after they are ground meaning weeks before you buy the tin of preground), grind size depends on brewing method. I generally brew for 7 minutes, but I like the stronger slightly bitter taste.

You can set the temperature on most Keurigs though. Just look for one with a digital interface or more than one button. They aren't too much more expensive than the single serve ones, and way more practical.

Literally put salt in it.
Idk what it is but when you put salt in coffee it takes away the bitterness but be careful or you'll end up with salty coffee and that shit is horrible.

I keep hearing about putting salt in the coffee. The instructions I usually hear for the perfect (sayyy, french press) coffee are as follows.

>Remove beans from airtight container
>Grind them fresh
>Bring water to boiling
>Wait a minute to let the temp lower a bit
>Add the coffee
>Add a little salt
>Add the water
>let it sit for 5 mins
>Pour coffee into thermos
>pour or enjoy from thermos

I haven't got beans, grounds, or a grinder, but if the timing and the salt are enough are enough, I'll try that tomorrow.

Add the salt when you add your cream and sugar or whatever. It's to taste not really a part of the recipe. Only stipulation is you do it when it's still at least a little hot so it melts. Otherwise you get big swallows of salt in your last sips

I kinda want to get it to the point where I don't need the cream and sugar, or at least not as much. It should be a preference, not a necessity.

ever since i started watching steve ive only bought coffee instant. feels good

>reusable k-cup
>small batches of beans ground by me at the supermarket (eg. Sprouts)
>18 oz mug
>12 oz brew on the keurig
>1 heaping teaspoon of condensed milk
>6 oz full fat milk to top up
This is how I roll.

This and a half. Reusable K-Cups are amazing.

>Gold filters

Gold-plated stuff is really common. Except it makes sense here and in other food applications because it doesn't stain or otherwise react, whereas in gold-plated plugs it rubs off after a couple uses and provides no real connectivity benefit.

It makes sense in very very select cases on electronics for corrosion resistance. But the funny thing is it's actually *less* conductive than copper.

Still, I don't see the point in a filter unless you're heating the water in a gold plated kettle too.

How the fuck do I make good french press coffee. It either comes out tasting like complete shit or like half shit

what ratio do you use and how long do you brew it?

Use decent beans at as coarse a grind as you can get. Adding a pinch of salt often helps.
I also add half a dried and crushed eggshell, because some old Chinese restaurant owner/operator used to do it and damn if he didn't have the best coffee in town.

12-1 by weight in grams and 4 minutes

I haven’t used a French press yet, but the best coffee I’ve ever had was percolated. I like a dark roast coffee with hazelnut creamer.

This is the worst coffee thread I've ever seen. Pre-ground beans, people recommending keurigs. I'm disgusted.

This. Grind your own beans. Coffee producers mix in wheat, soybean, brown sugar, rye, barley, acai seeds, corn, twigs and even dirt into their pre-ground bullshit.

sauce:
livescience.com/47433-counterfeit-coffee-busted-by-chemists.html

Also a stovetop espresso maker is god tier. I typically make a cup of that if I don't want to drink a whole pot before work. Pic related, delicious whole beans I buy at Sam's Club.

>not liking keurigs
Literally why? It takes about three seconds to brew, and the K-Cups can be pretty good quality depending on the brand.

>being this opposed to convenience

They literally do not get hot enough to brew coffee correctly,
They brew tiny ass weak cups stretched with more water to make a larger serving (Most of them only have enough grounds for the small setting), they're mold magnets because they hold water in an internal reservoir, and they are way more expensive per cup than any other kind of brewing

What convenience is there in having a fucking gigantic machine that can't even properly boil water

You must be talking about the older models. See pic related. The water goes in the resiviour on the left, and can be detached to wash.

You can easily change the brewing temperature through the on-screen menu to the right. It goes up to about 250 IIRC.

I agree that some K-Cups are cheap bullshit, but just don't buy from shitty brands. Or just get a reusable k-cup and grind your own shit. They are made from a hard plastic and are easy as shit to clean.

As for the amount of water flowing through the K-Cup, it is literally managed. Keurigs are advanced enough these days to read the information on the K-Cup to determine flow and even temperature if you set it to automatically detect that. As long as the K-Cup isn't some knockoff brand, it will be able to read it.

50/50 medium roast Folgers and Maxwell. drink cold with sweetener and vanilla flavoring.

Forgot the pic. My mistake. Been a long day.

oh yeah, just use a drip coffee maker with paper filter.

Everything you need to know:
Nope away from that can ASAP.
Buy beans as close to the roasting date as possible.
If you live in a major city, find a roaster and buy direct.
For a french press, you want a grind similar to very coarse sand.
If the granules are bigger than 1mm they are too big.
The ideal temperature for brewing is between 205-210.
This is "frog eyes" stage, or when your kettle is making that rumbling sound but not kicking and bucking around at a full boil.
Preheat your French Press with this water, and do a good job.
NEVER pour 212/full boil water into your French Press if you don't like nostril-stinging bitterness.
NEVER use dark roast.
Really, Full City roast is as dark as anyone really needs.
Dark roast is an old man meme that roughly translates to "drinking shittier-tasting shit makes you a man!"
ALWAYS bloom your grounds.
As a fermented product, coffee beans contain carbon dioxide.
By gently wetting your grounds before brewing (and leaving them way for a few minutes, and stirring them if you want), you allow the carbon dioxide to escape into the air.
This increases the available surface area of your grounds, since your water is hitting your grounds rather than forming bubbles of CO2.
Brew for 5-7 minutes, starting with half your French Press full and topping off around half way through to maintain temperature.
Drink very hot, and use 1/2&1/2, or heavy whip if you want to get exotic.
There you go.

If you want drip coffee, there are so few good options.
(pic related) is god-tier.
Best drip coffee I have ever had, bar none.

Blooming has to be the biggest meme on earth

As a PNW coffee snob, I invite you to drink your coffee however you like.
We'll stick to what works.

Tell me what blooming actually does that pouring all the water in at once doesn't accomplish as well

Wow, only $190 for a machine that makes mediocre coffee. What a deal!
Or you could just buy a moka pot, chemex, v60, or french press for a fraction of the price, and make coffee that tastes good.
I'll admit, a Keurig is fine if you only drink coffee for the caffeine and just want a quick cup in the morning, but by no means would I recommend one for someone who wants good tasting coffee.

>...you allow the carbon dioxide to escape into the air.
>This increases the available surface area of your grounds, since your water is hitting your grounds rather than forming bubbles of CO2.
If you don't, many of your grounds will float to the top of the vessel and stay suspended in their little bubble jackets, impervious to water, basically taking up space while a significantly smaller proportion of the grounds are inundated.
Grounds can't brew without contacting water, so increasing the amount of grounds making contact with water makes for a richer, more flavorful cup.

This is you but with coffee.

>$190
Where did that price come from lol. The cheapest Keurigs go for about $20. I got the one I posted for $50.

Googled that image and found it on Amazon and ebay for 190.
Even if you paid 50 it's still more expensive than the other brewing methods I mentioned. Even if it were equal price to one of those, it'd still be a waste unless you're just some utility coffee drinker.

>truthful webm
How'd you know?

you know what does that? pouring all the fucking water in and giving it a swirl with a spoon like 30 seconds in

>tfw when you agitate your grains in water
>tfw when this knocks off fines and clogs up your filter, leading to over-extraction and bitterness
>tfw when you have an eighth inch of mud on the bottom of your cup
No thanks, Midwest friend.

>pouring water on the beans doesn't agitate them after you've "bloomed" (aka let them sit in the fucking water)
??????????????????????????????????????

You moisten them friendo, not inundate them.
I can see why this hasn't worked for you now.

YOu realize that putting water on the coffee has the same effect whether or not its drenched in it right? If the argument is that CO2 releasing into the water stops it from extracting because the gas won't let water go in, drenching it wont change that suddenly you retard

They get moist, but not inundated.
The CO2 releases into the AIR, not forms bubbles on the outside of the grains.
I love that you think you are smarter than everybody in the industry, though.
It's really endearing, like a toddler wearing his mom's shoes backwards.

>saturate beans with water
>it somehow gets into the air
>pour water on beans
>it somehow doesn't get into the air
Bro science everyone

Do you understand that there is a difference between moistening and submerging?
Moisten your face.
Take a breath.
Now, submerge your face.
Take a breath.
ffs reading comprehension is really slipping in the under-20 set these days.

Before you deflect any further, answer how is getting rid of bubbles not accomplished by a simple quick stir after pouring water over the grounds.

That's not the issue.
The issue is that the quick stir breaks fines off of the grounds as they make contact with each other when you agitate them in a liquid, because each grain has a chance to contact other grains in all three dimensions while their cell walls are bursting open thanks to the solvent properties of hot water along with osmosis.
I mean, you can continue to rage against the machine with your strangely edgy protests against common coffee-making techniques if you want.
Just don't ever expect anyone who actually knows what they are doing to take you seriously.

Choc Full o Nuts is my go to ground coffee

>The issue is that the quick stir breaks fines off of the grounds as they make contact with each other when you agitate them in a liquid, because each grain has a chance to contact other grains in all three dimensions
Right, because the grounds don't bump the fuck into each other in all three dimensions when you pour the water in the first place.

>I mean, you can continue to rage against the machine with your strangely edgy protests against common coffee-making techniques if you want.
I'm not raging, I'm laughing at your time wasting snake oil "techniques" that don't give even diminishing returns, other than maybe to your ego and hipster cred. But go ahead and continue wasting your time if it makes you feel better.

>But go ahead and continue wasting your time if it makes you feel better.
It is a waste of time to make a cup of coffee when you don't do it right.
Only cretins and plebs call out people for being "hipsters."
What they mean is "I settle for mediocre shit all the time, and I can't understand why someone might want something better."

I decided to make french press coffee the autistic way after reading this guy's posts, and my coffee turned out exactly the same as the 5000 times before when I didn't bloom the grinds first. I guess if you can taste a difference, that's cool, but it didn't make a difference to me at all.

Did you use good beans?

Always. The only things that have ever made a difference in coffee taste to me are grind size, water temp, and coffee:water ratio. I've had coffee autist friends telling me I need to do this or that or else my coffee is ruined but they never complain when I make coffee and don't do any of those things.
I guess I'm a pleb or whatever but it all seems to just be snake oil shit.
A good example is a video someone sent me of some bearded hipster making coffee in a chemex. He turned a simple 3 step brewing method into a weird lengthy process where you have to bloom the grinds, only pour x amount of water in at a time, can only pour water in a clockwise circle, etc. Just pour the fucking water in and don't overfill it, it's just coffee.

Everyone keeps posting these webm's I appreciate.
Thanks guise.
Well, I can't hate you for paying attention to the important things.
Press on, friend.
Do your science, find your truth.
It always worked for me.

No, I mean the ones even with detachable water buckets

Turn on your keurig with an empty bucket and it's still going to heat up the water inside the internal reservoir before it tells you there's no water to replace it with

Not to mention the health question of running hot water over plastic cups just to get a fucking coffee

That seems about right. I do 13:1, 4 min, grind like pic. In what way does the coffee taste like shit? Is it sour, bitter, vegetative?

What's the proper grind size for moka pot?
There are way too many different suggestions according to google. Some suggests fine like espresso while some suggests coarse grind.
Need advice since I dont have a grinder so I need to grind at the store.

My friend made moka pot coffee for me once and he used a really fine grind. Turned out delicious so he must've done something right.

>make usual coffee in the morning
>treat myself to another coffee after work
>dad comes over with another coffee
A-am I gonna d-die, bros?

I've had 3 cups so far, since I stayed up tonight. Thinking about a 4th.

Vegetative. It tastes...earthy. Possibly a little sour? But it doesn't have the sour feeling . Maybe I just dont like the roast or beans I have. But it doesn't taste pleasant most of the time.I would prefer bitter strong as fuck blow you away rather than what this is

How many tablespoons of grounds do I use per medium-large cup of press coffee?