Le current year

>Le current year
>Writing in the past tense
Why is the present tense the best tense? Why are books written in the past tense still being published? Third person present with some past mixed in for back story is how the contemporary master of the written word writes. Prove me wrong.

>Not writing exclusively in future tense
Fucking pleb

Depends on the narrative.

i wrote some present tense shit and everyone on here told me it sounded like a movie script

And that's why they will remain here posting on Veeky Forums and you will one day be a celebrated author. You showed an ability to adapt your writing to the post-cinematic reality and your peers tried to cut you down for not adhering to their dated standards.

how do you feel about second person omniscient? what are the rarest narrative styles

>he doesn't write in second person future tense

lmaoing at your life senpai

Not sure, I don't know much about the intricacies involved with it. Moving from character to character is fine but I dislike and generally disregard anything written in the first person. Writing in first person is for children.

The problem is that simple present tense in every-day English tends to convey imperfective aspect, if I've got the terminology correct. Jhumpa Lahiri uses present tense in "The Namesake" (had it assigned) and there's a bit where one female character is pregnant. There's a sequence that goes a bit like this:

>The wife eats more and more unusually. The husband moves the television to the bedroom. The wife reads her paper, and calls to him in the other room...

These first two actions are handled exactly the same syntactically, but one of them occurs continuously and one of them occurs once. To my taste, this is incredibly grating.

I think I see what you're trying to point out. Is that an inconsistency you noticed a lot? I can't tell how much this example has to do with this (ahem) author, "Jhumpa," who probably had no business writing a book in the first place, and a more general issue with the present tense.

I love it personally but it makes me feel like a filthy Homestuck.

>not writing in an anglicized version of the passé antérieur

>not writing in aorist

>not writing all your narrative in subjunctive

Fucking anglos

>Not writing in Konjunktiv I
>Not writing in only the jussive

who second person future tense here?

>Not writing entirely in the perfect tense
It's like you want to be a pleb.

Yes, 3/4 of The Sound and the Fury is for children

In some way Russian prose can be said to be narrated almost entirely in the perfect tense (-л ending), as the aorist and imperfective tenses pretty much disappeared by the time of early modern Russian.

Exceptions are, the common word "бы" is in the historical aorist, but it is actually an auxiliary verb forming the periphrastic perfect. It carries the meaning of the subjunctive now. Also sometimes aorist appears as what sounds like the second person imperative; in those cases the meaning is some kind of past tense or again subjunctive.

I can't think of the imperfect surviving anywhere except for deliberately archaic speech.

But her poor word choice and inability to use transitions make this inevitable. Tense would not save this author.

(You)

>not displaying your mad imparfait du subjonctif skills

It's 2017, plebs.

Okay, but I don't suppose you think that it helped