Goodreads choice awards

nailed it

I have neard heard of any of those authors.
>Six responsible adults. Three cute kids. One Small dog. It's just a normal weekend. What could possibly go wrong?
Your regular hollywood romantic comedy flick.

i think that women who read need to use it as a part of their personality. they all use goodreads. Not all men that read are pseuds, and im guessing a lot don't use goodreads

What purpose does goodreads serve?

Where is a good place to get recs for new books?

I tried goodreads at some point and saw that the stuff at the top of their charts is basically a bunch of genre fiction, beach books and entertainment stuff. But I'm always curious if there are really good books coming out that I'm missing, not just a thriller, or a romance, or some kind of mediocre fiction.

>Ishmael

it's like people who watch the latest shows and movies. they want to feel part of it all - to hold up the societal mirror of reflection and see if they are living up to the standards they asked someone else to set for them.

my account is a random name but it's connected to facebook so some girls i know will friend me - each one of them is reading the same garbage by okinichugabe nigbongo about the african experience.

it's the type of person who is constantly "complaining" (bragging) about how BUSY they are at work because SOMEONE needs their important and valuable skills. the same people who are all going to tulum and medellin to take the same fucking photos for instagram. the same people watching SNL, discussing the efficacy of advertisements, talking about new yorker articles at pop-up museum shows after eating lebanese small plates and thinking they're counter-culture. they've never picked up a book because they have an internal urge to learn something or experience something.

they are materialistic culture vultures.

It has a fantastic recommendation engine that looks at your shelves, and recommends you books by genre, topic, geo-location, and time period. It also has some good cataloging tools. I like the challenges too. And if you collect some like minded readers, the feed is a good way to get passive recommendations.

It is also this: tho, so ignore book ratings and reviews.

Goodreads is better for my mental health than this hellscape

>Starring Adam Sandler

>t. Bitter recluse

Is there a single good book that got released in the past 15 years?

Yes there are many.

Gilead
Austerlitz
Min Kamp
Matterhorn
Book of Night Women
We the Drowned
Wizard of the Crow
Austerlitz
Sandalwood Death
The Feast of the Goat
Brief History of Seven Killings
Laurus
Eileen
The Buried Giant
the Book of Numbers
Dying Grass
The Sellout
The Vegetarian
On the Edge
Submission
A Little Life
Age of Iron
The Moor's Account
The Dream of the Celt

etc etc

One of my least favorite trends on this board is the 20-something in college who is reading what his professors tell him he should read, and then saying nothing good is published now.

sure. but it's also true that if you picking from the top books from 1700-1950, versus the top books from 2016, there are going to be quality differences, regardless of trends in quality. recent movies are terrible. but even if they were good, i would rather watch the top ten movies from 1960-1970 then the top ten from 2016

The quality of movies in 1970 or books published in the 1820s have no bearing on the quality of media released today.

On their own merits, yes there are good books being published now, and their quality is not worse due to when they were published. The only benefit the past has is decades of scholarship and hindsight. On the other hand, there is a dedicated milieu, both right and left wing that actively search over and award literary greatness (lesser known book awards tend to be much better than the booker and the pulitzer). I would place the merits of some books on the above list, like Austerlitz, 2666, Laurus, and Submission, next to any 20th century works. And books like The Buried Giant, Dying Grass, and the Vegetarian have huge amounts of originality.

I have hoped that the longer I stay on Veeky Forums, the more people would mature past "the classics" and seek out new literary experiences. Unfortunately, it seems the dropout rate is very high on Veeky Forums, and we still feel compelled to discuss IJ and Stoner (books I read almost 5 years ago) every day.

if you think you are disagreeing with me, you did not understand my post.

I understand it. There is a high probability that the best 10 books between years x and y are going to be better than the best 10 books from year z. And I agree.

But in the last 15 years (the above books are not from 2016 except the Vegetarian I think) there have been numerous outstanding novels that stand on there own, and that the quality of books of previous years is irrelevant to the quality of the books from the 21st century thus far. The question was:

>Is there a single good book that got released in the past 15 years?

And the answer is absolutely, and that you are not wasting your time if you had to choose a book from that list and Dostoevsky's Idiot.

Well said, user.

The more books you add to your account, the more personalised the recommendations are.

Well of course that the best picks from a 10 or 250 year period are going to be better than picks from just one year (one whose output is yet to be fully digested by the public). You fucking idiot. What great books were published in 1738?

I mean it's a bit sad that it's the case but this is Veeky Forums so communities don't really progress, only mutate. I wish there was a board like Veeky Forums but without Veeky Forums's post turnover rate; I'd be okay with waiting weeks between responses to discuss certain books that aren't as popular here.