Anyone here in school for MechE, or work as one? What do you like about it, how's the coursework/profession...

Anyone here in school for MechE, or work as one? What do you like about it, how's the coursework/profession, and would you change if you could?

Attached: serveimage.jpg (1200x900, 179K)

Other urls found in this thread:

me.gatech.edu/files/ug/program_of_study_me1718.pdf
me.gatech.edu/files/ug/program_of_study_nre1718.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Avoid at all costs.

t. MechE graduate

dont avoid it at all costs

t. meche phd nobel prize winner

I majored in ME and work as an aerospace engineer. I guess an undergrad in AE might have prepared me better, but AE undergrads are annoying pricks, so I have no regrets

Attached: fullgif.gif (540x300, 2.54M)

why?

Attached: 1462981156384.jpg (655x527, 59K)

Salary and how many hours a week you work?

Graduated ME in 2015 didn't get into the workforce for a while because family reasons combined with job market reasons.

I am about a month into working for company that does a shit ton of machining as a CAD modeler and doing various other things like travelers and reports meant for customers when they leave off or fuck up dimensions in their drawings.

CAD is my bread and butter and I love my work. Can't talk about what I make in any specificity because it would be trouble but currently my boss' boss has me modeling some little key-chain tool things for us to make when we have a lot of machine downtime and need something to do.

I sliced my thumb with (pic related) as a child I hope to design one that doesn't do that.

Attached: The Thumb Ruiner 85K.jpg (900x928, 38K)

Salary and how many hours a week you work?

I am payed hourly with overtime bonuses salary payment is for idiots who can't into math and can only think about numbers as lump sums.

Then what's your wage?

Probationary wage (first 90 days) is 15/hr 22.5/hr overtime.

This is why: You'll work yourself to death in school only to make a little bit more than if you were flipping burgers.

Try again.

Attached: minimum-wage-us-state-july-2018.png (2400x1800, 291K)

I actually enjoyed school and had fun "working myself to death" for my senior project.

McDonald's and Walmart both pay their enployees at least $12 an hour. Don't feel bad though, I also fell for this meme.

So you're telling me I get payed more and get to work somewhere other than wallmart doing something I enjoy?

>$29k a year without overtime
D-do they at least have good benefits?

Attached: 1519935663208.jpg (262x263, 9K)

what the fuck do I major in then?

Yup.

Finance. STEM was a meme created to drive down wages.

Whatever you want. I don't give a shit that these idiots think that I am a scrub for taking a job that pays better than minimum wage at a company that has nice people doing something I enjoy. The reason is because I like my work. If you have something you want to do and you have the capabilities to learn how to do it then choose whatever that thing is and do that.

$40/hr (~$80k/yr) plus 5 paid holidays and 5 paid vacation days, no other benefits. I work 40 hrs/wk, and occasionally I am offered overtime at 1.5x base pay, but I always turn it down since I'm working on a Master's part-time.

Soon, I'm starting a new job to get some broader experience (and because I have to start paying for my own health insurance), pay is $65k/yr, yearly bonus of 7-14% of base pay, health, vision, and dental insurance, tuition reimbursement, 12 paid holidays, and 16 paid vacation days

Pretty good for the Midwest, plus, once I graduate I'll be hoping to get a promotion (next level up is $75k/yr)

Attached: 1420570659636.gif (500x275, 1.87M)

This is inexcusable.

?

>no benefits
>makes about as much as a public school teacher

I definitely think I'm underpaid, considering I've saved my company millions, but where I live, teachers make $40k starting, so I can't complain too much.

Attached: __futaba_anzu_idolmaster_and_idolmaster_cinderella_girls_drawn_by_mossi__6c58eba9feced57977094251a42 (800x707, 318K)

I want to do MechE myself since I really hate the idea of working on embedded systems for the rest of my life as an EE (especially since I blow at data structures).

Move to another company.

I am (see ) but it's not much better. It's the best I could find in my hometown though (don't want to move just yet)

An engineer who doesn't change company like underwear doesn't deserve a high salery.

You are walking know-how.

Seems like a dying field with electric vehicles on the horizon. Exect for ships and planes i guess.

aren't electric motors still the domain of mechanical?

Change to AeroSpace Eng. or Nuclear Eng.

80% similar to MechE, but more valued.

isn't aero just pigeon holing in a subset of mechanical though?

Aerospace is the same soup.

Nuclear engineering is bullshit though.

Not really machines create the motors not much human labour required. I mean people will come up with better electric motors but ya.

>pigeon holed MechE
*Ascended MechE

I don't see why an AeroE or NukeE can't get MechE jobs.

The coursework is about the same.
An AeroE or NukeE is perhaps more qualified.
But the fear of pigeon holing is justified.

But I think that it's better be pidgeon holled in Aerospace than in drafting with Autocad or HVAC* for example.

>HVAC = Heating, ventilation, and air conditioning

I compared my school's syllabus and while the core classes are the same, AeroE don't take classes in machine design or thermal systems, etc.

He is full of shit.

>more qualified

How is that even supposed to work, the time for classes is the same for all degrees. So the share of nuclear engineering related classes means missing mechanical engineering ones.

Even ignoring that nuclear engineering is closer to process engineering anyway than mechanical engineering.

I'd say go for a master's degree so you can actually make some money too

In my uni AeroE & NukeE take machine design & thermal systems.

me.gatech.edu/files/ug/program_of_study_me1718.pdf
me.gatech.edu/files/ug/program_of_study_nre1718.pdf

NRE lacks the crucial design part and ME has a wider range of electives.

And that's just the worthless bachelor. The masters aren't even close to each other.

>georgia tech
Are you, perchance, a nigger?

>gaytech

Attached: Traps are gay news.jpg (1280x720, 130K)

Guys, I'm going to college next year and I'm split between doing mechanical or electromechanical engineering. What do you think?

Electromechanical sounds like a giant meme dude. Stick to either MechE, EE, or CompE.

There is much more to a car than the engine. Why would electric vehicles negate the need for mechanical engineers?

I got a mechanical degree but I'm working as an automation/electrical. I can design the fuck out of a valve manifold and make the valves work.
I liked getting my degree, loved my classes, felt as if I were learning something important.
That being said I never got a job as a mechanical engineer, went back to school and focused on computers and electrical, and managed to land the perfect job in my hometown.
Just because you are studying mech now doesn't mean you will always be one. Engineers have to be versatile. But maybe you can land a job designing widgets and doing stress concentration analysis with FEA. Seems pretty chill. I like working in a plant, though.

>dat ME curriculum

No surprise American engineers have such a bad reputation.

Would you say control systems are more electrical or mechanical based nowadays?

What kind of silly question is that?