I've never had fish before, let alone cooked it. What's the best dish to start with?

I've never had fish before, let alone cooked it. What's the best dish to start with?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=orc_y7aYqv8&t=79s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Tuna is pretty neutral. A nice ahi.

give these a try. 3-4 minutes in the microwave should do the trick!

ceviche
>tilapia fillets cut into 1cm cubes
>tomato diced
>white onion diced
>jalapeños diced
>cilantro finely chopped
each to taste
soak overnight in limejuice
serve with crackers or tostada shells

I'd rather have 2 well-thought out responses than
the 150 joke replies these threads normally get. Please help me

fishdicks? are you a gay fish?

do not start with ahi tuna
shit's expensive and you don't know what you're doing so you're probably gonna ruin it by overcooking it

just put some salmon in a dishwasher or whatever

I personally love salmon. I took a trip to Alaska and the wild caught chinook salmon (aka king salmon) was some of the best I've ever had.

Sushi is a good to find out what fat content of fish you'd like.

Raw tuna with toppings (called poke, popular in Hawaii and California).

Seared ahi tuna is fantastic, but the inside HAS to be raw. It gets 30 seconds each side on a pan.

Swordfish is also one of my faves. It's a denser, white fish.

Halibut, rock cod, and white fish meat of that nature work incredibly well when fried (unlike salmon, which does not fry well).

For what it's worth, I absolutely despise canned tuna. Fresh is the way to go, frozen is cost is a factor.

Yeah I just remembered I had whitefish once in my life, but I threw it up after drinking too much. Maybe I should give it another chance

Salmon is basically idiot proof. Portion it out, then cook on a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Season with salt + pepper. While it's cooking place 2 lemon slices on it, flip half way through placing the lemon back on top.
I like to add 2 additional slices when the salmon is flipped and use those on the final plate while discarding the slices that were on while cooking. You could forgo the lemon and after you flip the salmon glaze it with honey, pesto, or something else.

For a side keep it light. Blanched green beans or asparagus is great, or sautéed if you prefer.

Get either a tilapia or a pangasius fillet, both are cheap and pretty neutral taste; season it with rosemary and garlic, add some veggies (tomatoes, broccoli, carrots, etc.) and wrap it in tin foil. Cook it for ~5 mins, good with white or red rice on the plate.

Whichever fish you choose, don't overcook it. Pay a little extra and get fresh wild caught, not frozen. Cod fillets are widely available fresh wild caught. Make an herbed butter with a little garlic, some fresh parsley, mayne a bit of tarragon. Slather over the top and bake for @ 10 minutes at 400F for the thicker ones. Squeeze some lemon juice over the top when done. If you over cook it a little it will still be ok, whereas salmon will suck dog ass if you even slightly overcook it.

I didn't mean the whitefish specie (which is a subset of salmon, oddly enough).

I was referring to the color of their meat

I've never had green beans or asparagus before. Is broccoli okay?

Rainbow trout with olive oil and chopped garlic + red pepper underneat
Oven - 200 celsius 12-14 minutes
Make an improvised vinaigrette and potato salad with it.
I do this as often as i can.
If you have fresh thyme and excessive amounts of ginger,garlic ,olive oil you will be amazed.
Also don't waste the lemon zest but rather put it to work.

That sounds amazing. I've been wanting meat and potatoes for a while, was thinking about doing sausage lyonnaise but you're dish sounds wonderful. Thanks

Honestly, lemon zest is a cheat code to make a dish amazing in so many cases.

I just revamp
>youtube.com/watch?v=orc_y7aYqv8&t=79s
..into a poor mans version with whatever i have once you got the basics and a lot of different spices,meat , vegetables you basically cook anything.
I have a rule never to throw lemon zest and orange zest away.
If there's nothing to do with it you can make a simple cardamom cloves,ginger,thyme.lemon juice/orange juice + zest,cinnamon tea.
Or if you have that and some left over booze turn it into a overnight medicine for hickups/cold or just an aperitif.

Pan cooked lemon butter halibut. You can't go wrong. Haibut is elder god tier fish.

fish n chips innit

>I've never had fish before
>I've never had green beans or asparagus before

Where do you live, OP?

I live in Ontario. I just had a bad childhood lol