I just put cheese into a bechamel and this is the result...

I just put cheese into a bechamel and this is the result, can someone tell me what the fuck is happening and how do I fix it

pour it in a blender and blend it, then pour it back in the pan

A what kind of cheese did you use and B I have doubt that this was ever bechamel in the first place.

How did you make it?

I put milk in a roux and I added some sliced deli cheddar

Did you make a roux(melted butter+flour) first before adding milk or did you just dump flour into some milk? Cause it looks like you just dumped flour in and it got all clumpy instead of mixing in properly.

I know how to make a roux I have done it a hundred times, I assume this has something to do with the quality of the cheese

You added the semen before the cheese and created a shitty cheese-cum curd.

thats a fucking lie
>not knowing how to make a roux
>not knowing how to temper
>not using good cheese
>being a fucking kike
fuck off

remove the cheese, quick

I put it in a blender and it's still full of chunks that look like curd

>I'm 13 years old and this is funny

Was the bechamel smooth before adding the cheese? I've used cheap shredded cheese for mac and cheese before and didn't have this problem so I can't imagine that the cheese caused it.

>I am a woman and I am decidedly against any type of vulgar and sexual humor

I put 1 tsp oil, 1 tsp flour, and .66 cups of milk and whisked for a few minutes on high heat, the milk was warmed before adding

Probably the cheese had too high a fat content or you used the wrong kind of milk or didn't let it thicken enough.

Proper bechamel should be quite thick and flavored with onion, clove and bayleaf.

NO, NEVER EVER HIGH HEAT. that is what broke the sauce and the cheese. make rue then turn down the heat, add cheese slowly, stir like a mad man too.

That didn't quite answer the question. Was it a smooth, creamy consistency before adding cheese?

>oil

Should be butter but I am not sure if that could be the problem. Maybe it was just too small a batch to hold together. I have never made less than 2 cups of milk before.

maybe if the bechamel is going into a dish on it's own, I'm literally trying to make a cheese sauce to put on cheesesteak sandwiches

I will attempt this next time

all if the roux was mixed into the milk as much as it was going to be, it took all of 5 minutes to make so i wasn't really paying attention to the creaminess factor of the milk sauce

Did you let it boil, or was the milk skimmed?

I may have boiled momentarily the heat was on high

round 2 not even measuring shit this time

That might have done it, some people advise taking the sauce completely off the heat before you add the cheese.

Why 2%?

Nice now we'll get to see your second sauce break in real time.

idk I mostly use it for coffee I rarely cook with milk

not so fast bucko this is my 2nd improved sauce, and while very thin it seems to be consistent

Sprinkle some more for flour in there to thicken it up. Don't be shy :^)

use provolone because I ran out of cheddar. sauce seems good and thick and not vomit curd sauce, may have been the heat or shitty cheese the world may never know

For future reference, the low fat milk does make it more difficult to keep the cheese fat in emulsion. You can make up for it by using more butter / oil or adding cream though.

I think we all learned a lot today

actually tastes pretty bad

I told you about the onion clove and bayleaf bro. Its not bechamel you are eating but thick floury milk with cheese in it.

Toss in a bit of ground clove, nutmeg, pepper (white if you have it) and a touch of salt. If you have any dehydrated onion then ground up some of that to toss in as well.

Not OP but my typical cheese sauce is just bechamel with cheese, salt, and pepper and it tastes pretty good, but I also use a lot of cheese and it's always flavorful ones like sharp cheddar, parmesan, etc.

You're supposed to heat the oil/melt the butter, then add flour until its a paste and then cook it until its golden brown (or darker)

Then you mix in the rest (milk in this case) 1/3 cup at a time, whisking it up until its thick each time

Then you add some cheese and season it

Also you better not have used low-fat versions of anything or else you will have fucked it up

cheap cheese in the US is primarily distinguished by being an emulsification of whatever got overproduced, it'll usually melt better than good stuff

>sliced

dude, you added too much. also i have a creeping feeling that your roux wasn't great to begin with and/or you didn't incorporate the milk enough into the bechamel.

either way, just go easy mode with the emulsifier sodium citrate, or for us who don't want to amazon some random fda approved chemical, a cheese that already has it in it being american cheese or a velveeta squeezy packet, then adding your main cheese

shredded cheese has corn starch added to prevent clumping, which would work against any emulsifier (not that there are any in anything FDA labeled cheese, otherwise it would be cheese product)

You either added too much cheese or didn't incorporate the milk enough.

>Then you mix in the rest (milk in this case) 1/3 cup at a time
this is untrue, if you had to make a gallon or more of gravy/bechamel you would be there an hour or more adding tiny bits of liquid. I've always stirred like crazy when adding all my liquid at once and never have I had a problem with it.
you say you have made roux a bunch OP but this is at least a tablespoon of flour away from being a roux. most "recipes say equal amount fat and flour. but I've always had to use more flour than fat.
also morney is not cheese sauce, it's gravy with some cheese in it. when I"m making cheese sauce I like to warm a little bit (1/3 cup) or so of milk and when it starts to get hot start adding cheese and stir until it's incorporated then add more cheese and stir repeat until you have your consistency you like. and do it on med-low heat. that will be a nice cheese sauce. even better if you saute up some onion/garlic/fresh jalapeno before you add your milk

Next time sautee some onion and garlic in the butter before adding the flour, then toss the flour in, cook it for like 2 minutes on med-low or so. The add a squirt of yellow mustard, and like 1/4cup white wine to deglaze. Then add your milk, cook on low-ish heat, and add your cheese in small batches after 10-15 minutes.

Also salt and pepper, obviously.

I had something similar happen to me once, except the bechamel was nice and thick and glossy at first but as soon as I added the cheese it turned to grainy mush.

I used 6 ounces out of a block of pepper jack which I had shredded, what gives?

It looks ugly, but dunk some bread into it and see if it tastes decent anyways.

>what happened
You split your sauce. Possible causes:
>too hot when adding cheese, or boiled after cheese went in
>base bechamel too thin (not enough roux- the gelatinized starch helps stabilize the emulsion)
>not enough fat in sauce
>cheese added too fast or in too big of pieces
>acid in sauce for some reason

As for fixing it, you really can't. It's pretty solidly fucked.

I think I remember something about fixing a broken sauce with sour cream

this

This is what fucked you up. Your milk curdled over the high heat. Use full fat milk or half and half
Ive ruined a whole batch of broccoli cheese soup doing that

>doesn't watch chef John
> cold milk, not roux, no lumps

You fucked that one kid. Try again.

Pretty sure you're supposed to use equal parts by weight, which is why it takes more flour, fyi.

*BLEEEGGG*
*HHHUUUUAAAARRH*
*dry heaves*
*AAAAAAOOOHHHHHH*
>"Ok, I think I'm done vomiting, alrig-"
*BBBLLLLLAAAAGUGUGUUGUGUGG*
>dribbles mucus and snot*
>"please, my stomach hurts, I can't retch like that again"
>looks at the disgusting food stinking in front of him
*BBBUUUUGGGGGGGUUUAAAAHHHHH*
>tfw the torrent of vomit in front of him still looks more appealing that the horrendous mess meant to be this ''''''''food''''''''.

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty. The humour is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer’s head. There’s also Rick’s nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realise that they’re not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Rick & Morty truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn’t appreciate, for instance, the humour in Rick’s existential catchphrase “Wubba Lubba Dub Dub,” which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev’s Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I’m smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Dan Harmon’s genius wit unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools.. how I pity them.

user ....

Such a pain to make large batches of bechamel when you have a million other things to get done in a work day. Legoút saves the day !

I like this thread. This is what cooking is all about.

>try to make something nice
>fail miserably
>try again
>end up not liking it

Everytime.

fuck you asshat, I laughed and I'm 25.

>I am a /utg/ kike who does gay anal hebrew poz-swaps

>this is untrue, if you had to make a gallon or more of gravy/bechamel you would be there an hour or more adding tiny bits of liquid. I've always stirred like crazy when adding all my liquid at once and never have I had a problem with it.

>t. guy who who fucked up a simple bechamel with cheese

It looks like the sauce from my macaroni and cheese if I accidentally microwave the leftovers too long. Letting the sauce boil makes the proteins coagulate and fat separate. You need to just bring it up to a simmer over medium-low heat. It takes long than just cranking the heat up to high but it ensures your sauce won't split or start to burn on the bottom.