Tfw cook rarely but constantly looking at expensive, high-end kitchen tools

>tfw cook rarely but constantly looking at expensive, high-end kitchen tools

pic related

You could make that for way less than the asking price. You could even use maple for the top like they do and a cheaper wood like poplar for the bottom if you like it painted.

But yeah, I kinda know that feeling. Doesn't even need to be expensive, the pots and pans aisle usually catches my eye.

that looks like garage store table that someone painted white and glued a costco cutting board too

could probably reproduce for realistically under $75

>pic related
are you sure about that?

top is walnut. that alone would cost you around a grand...if you make the top yourself with number 1 common walnut, you could do it for about $150. entire table you could do for about $400 if you used newel posts for legs

That's a butcher's block, you uneducated fucknut.

Table base does look gauche and chintzy though.

make your own.

>pic related. cost me $80 in material and about 6 hours build time

i know you think you come off as smart and educated, but there is really no difference between a retail "butcher block" and a table with a cutting board for a top
so you really just come across as a typical clueless, materialistic douchebag

That's the definition. Planks on-end laminated into one surface. Does being wrong physically hurt you?

I mean, if someone tells you that your countertops are corian instead of granite, does that make them a materialistic douchebag, or you just retarded?

>That's the definition
it's not

>no u
My furniture vendor seems to think differently, but okay?

your furniture vendor knows how to market to typical clueless, materialistic douchebags
see how that works?

i bet you're into bone broth too :^)

Really doubling down there, eh? I'm in residential real estate, hence the furniture vendor. When a client wants a butcher block island, that also is an expensive on-end laminated wood block proeudct as well, so my countertop vendor would disagree with you too. Guess you just are retarded.

so what's the difference between "an expensive on-end laminated wood block proeudct" and a costco end grain cutting board, other than scale?
hint: it's literally nothing

Uhhh.... the entire manufacturing process?

lmfao no
it's the exact same manufacturing process

Okay, here's a second reply because I was so flippant. Not all wood is the same. Cheap and porous beechwood costs a lot less than more desirable teak, african rosewood, or (god forbid) that fossilized stuff they dredge out of the bottom of rivers. Those are hard and less porous, and are used on things like yachts. Then, think of a 4x4 piece of lumber. The checkerboard pattern you're seeing is usually two different types of wood from those, cut into 2" cuts, and then glued, pressed and laminated together. Then after those multiple pieces become one, it's sanded until smooth. Then a bunch of layers of laquer or shellac are applied so it's both sealed, smooth, and highly resistant. Its an intensive process.

Then rich fucks will pay for it. Honestly, I use a plastic cutting board at home.

read post below, by the way I'm going to go drink now, so we can stop arguing

>buy expensive kitchen item
>either ruin it or use it once

well, i'm drinking too, so peace
but i mostly just took umbrage to your "uneducated fuckwit" comment, because it's just marketing jargon. "butcher block" in this context just means end grain laminated wood block
which are not more or less labor intensive to produce than any other handmade wood product
and i bought a big, thick, canadian made hardwood one for $30 at costco

Nigger, don't you talk shit about bone broth.
Fucking plebs all up in here proud of their Walmart-tier lifestyle choices...

looks like an old af 4 bus line cpu.
I like it.

>tfw when I shellac my fucking cuttingboard
You shit-brained moron.
Holy fuck.

Congrats, you are a materialistic hyperconsumer sheep. Now that you have been diagnosed, will you change your lifestyle? Of course not.

There's no lacquer, only oil and beeswax otherwise you'd ingest toxic acrilic

I didn't actually buy it, dumb nibba.

Butcherblock table is worth it, though.
Once I went 3x6 maple, nothing was the same.
It's like living in heaven.

Yeah, knew i fucked up somewhere. Also apologize to that guy who said >shellac, I do that to floors and my guns but think it would flake if I did it on an edible surface that gets hit repeatedly with a knife. The top is finished with a product, right? Or is it just the hardwood?

I think he was talking about the marketing term "bone broth." I mean, if you're on Veeky Forums, you know you should be making your own and freezing regardless.

>you should be making your own and freezing regardless.
Yes.
Other than that, complaining about trends and whatnot, especially trends that happen to cohere with things that home cooks have been doing since Julia Child, is usually the capital of the barely-initiated.
Cooking is a cult with many levels, and hazing the kids is part of the process.

Agreed.
>but Better than Bouillon is still great

That's a table.

Better than Bouillon is magic in a jar...
A useful jar!

It has to be sealed. There's oil specifically for butcher blocks but mineral oil and beeswax are popular finishes as well.

Mineral oil my dude.

There is a large difference, just not one that is of use to most home cooks.

Oh, you just covet things as a hobby. Very healthy.

Dem niggas don't even cleave.
Fuckin not-bone-choppin bitches.

The maple comes with sold maple table

Those butcherblock tables would ab huge pain in the ass in reall life though. Imagine having to clean and the whole fucking tabletop each time you want to dice a chicken breast for some fried rice. Plus you can't even rinse it properly under the tap like you can do with a cutting board. You'd end up using it as a normal table and doing all cutting on a $3 WalMart plastic cutting board pretty quickly.

These are not meant to be used in home kitchen. In a restaurant or butcher shop kitchen, you can rinse it with a hose and have the water just go down the drain on the floor.

Those little metal feet make it look like a fat lady in high heels.

I mix better than bouillon into my spice/seasoning mixture for baked chicken pieces. It makes it taste better than without it. Just some of the powder mixed in with like pepper, paprika, garlic, whatever else.

>would ab huge pain in the ass in reall life though. Imagine having to clean and the whole fucking tabletop
really makes you fink...

it's called stock you fucking mong

A restaurant kitchen won't use wood surface for anything.
If we're talking utility and hygiene, plastic and stainless steel are king.

the best kitchen tool is a knife. Don't skimp on a knife, believe me, with a good sharp knife you won't regret it. Cheap knives are false economy

go away retard.

Yes, but great for leveling it.

god I'd kill for that head of hair

Link pls

Not boiled linseed oil?

Also great!

>You could make that for way less than the asking price.
Wow, you mean average individuals can save money by not paying someone else to make a useful item, or render a useful service?

Of course you save money by making, building, or doing things yourself. Thats not really a new revelation.

>OP: 3 inch thick end-grain maple butcher's block
>You: 1 inch thick side-grain dining table.

Yep.

are you breaking down half cows in your kitchen?

>cook a lot
>never look at high end kitchen equipment because it depresses me that I can't afford it

not him, but seeing as you will never cut deeper than 1-3mm into the wood, whats the difference? except that one of the tables is easier on your back when you move or re-decorate.
the height? you don't know if he's a dwarf, maybe its the perfect height to work with for him.

OP pic is walnut... ( they do cherry too).

>you will never cut deeper than 1-3mm into the wood, whats the difference?
One will actually outlast your great grandchildren and the other is a mass produced disposable table.

Real butcher blocks used by buthers and later sold to individuals after health and safety rules prevented wood blocks are still in use. My grandfather had one from 1920 and still had about 6 inches of block left on the top.

tl;dr They look amazing and will last forever.

Looks very nice and you did a good job, but it isn't comparable.

That said it's not like it doesn't serve the same function just as well.

Are you my mom?

Do you sand it down when it becomes un-level from years of use?

Yes, they can be sanded down, but its a pain in the ass because the wood is full of oils and fat and clogs up the sandpaper. Better to have it planed by a carpenter with professional grade machines.

You can sand it down if you have to have a flat and level block. However all the really old people I know with butcher blocks just maintain the wood with oils and waxes; after decades of use they typically get a slight bowl or concave shape to them.

You're cutting meat, not making scientific equipment. You don't need a perfectly flat surface.

>mass produced disposable table
>he made it himself
dude, we're not talking flakeboard... both will last as long as you take care of them. and yes, I've seen people fuck up near indestructable furniture that lasted over half a century and was just as new in mere years time.
also, that dudes base looks way sturdier and longlasting than OP's pic

i don't think you realize how dense hard maple or walnut are.

even if you used one steady for 8 hours per day for 40 years, you wouldn't need to sand it down

thank you. i don't use it as a butcher block. i was under the assumption OP was going to use it as a table rather than butcher block. i know, i know. when i assume i make an...