Does anyone here actually know how to use a semicolon

does anyone here actually know how to use a semicolon

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/shitpostbot5000?lang=en
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It separates related but distinct clauses within a single sentence. It's a more concrete separation than a comma, but a less concrete separation than a period.

Those are the basics. Beyond that, you just sort of have to feel it out. You'll get better with practice.

explain that picture

lol

no;

>I was fapping to a loli doujin; I wondered whether the sixth grader was ten or eleven.
Something like that?

someone built a bot to make memes from random images
twitter.com/shitpostbot5000?lang=en

maybe ;)

you rename your recycle bin to anime as a last ditch attempt at proving to him you are not a normie

fucking kek

It's difficult to explain the semi-colon; it links two sentences that could be separate sentences but are related and would flow better without the large pause of a period.

>he thinks English punctuation is standardized or even meaningful

kek

Not really ;_;

The important part isn't knowing how to use a semicolon; the important thing is the sense to avoid the semicolon.
What I mean is that the semicolon should be used after an unimportant statement, and before an important statement for separation; but ideally the semicolon shouldn't be used at all.

Your second use is an example of obnoxious, incorrect usage. "Ideally" begins that sentence well enough to not require a semicolon because "but" is extraneous. If you can rewrite or otherwise separate two lines combined by semicolon and have it be perfectly coherent, you should always do so.

I think he did it on purpose; both his semicolons can be replaced with commas.

Semicolons are middle-class because you have to understand writing enough to use them, but understand it badly enough to use it. If they were eliminated from English nothing of value would be lost for anybody except programmers.

In situations where I am having trouble dealing with commas, particularly if I'm trying to write down a specific rhythm of speech or list off large amounts of information, is the only time I consider using them.

"Chad has slept with ten girls; OP, zero."

- Ok if you're trying to get a sentence to have a certain pace and syllable count.

"New York, America; Britain, England; Paris, France."

- Ok for allowing you to cram in most list based information into sentences.

Yes; I learned how in school.

hahaha u idiot

he's not wrong though

Semicolons are my favorite punctuation desu

If they're good enough for Waifu Woolf they're good enough for me

I see no reason to be scared of using the tools we've been given to express ourselves. Though neither am I going to abuse them in vain.

;^)

Why the fuck do you humor this faggot? Google it holy shit. If you don't know how to use a semicolon kindly fuck off back to high school. What the fuck.

Yes; no; maybe; I don't know; can you repeat the question?

i thought it meant that the school shooter had found you and you were basically fucked anyway, so in your last moments of life you tell the shooter that anime is trash, because he's probably some sperg that loves anime.

You restore the anime you 'deleted' because you were on the path of becoming more normal, only to revert back to it because you know only faggots like school shooters watch anime.

>putting anime in the trash where it belongs
>claiming not to be a normie

no dummy the guy has no anime on his computer but he renames his recycle bin to pass it off as a folder

>like so right?
Dear Diary,
Today I decided to adress you, as you can see, as a German would; capitalised.

I don;t.

There's no pulling the wool over your eyes.

They're basically just commas, dude.

No, that needs a colon.

this is the most proper usage