Beginner whiskeys

hey guys i got these did i do good
post recommendations of good whiskeys for beginners

Just chug a bottle of Jack and vomit yourself to sleep baby

Both are pretty solid and a good introduction to whisky I think. My main gripe with Monkey Shoulder is that it is now more expensive than many malts but that doesn't mean it isn't good. After them, go for Highland Park 12 and take it from there. It has a bit of everything in it so you can figure out what you like and branch out based on that. It has a little smoke to it, so if you like that go down the Islay route. If you prefer the sweeter stuff then go Speyside.

Only thing I will say is stay away from Macallan Gold as it is far too expensive for what it is. It is nice, but way overpriced. If you find you like speyside and want a Macallan then save up and get the 12.

Go full heathen with some Makers Mark

Someone has watched whisky vault.

If not, they have a decent episode on beginner whisky

Try yourself some Tullamore D.E.W. Shit's delicious

I will never understand how MM is as expensive as it is. It is the absolute worst bourbon I've ever had. Tastes like it should be sitting beside some $13 garbage.

Good choices, OP. Would also recommend Glenlivet founders reserve if you want a decent follow-up.

Smokey, peaty stuff? Try Ardmore Legacy. Nice introduction for the more "spicy" whiskeys.

Best bourbon in the mm price range

Balvenie is always a good beginner Scotch. Something on the other end of the Scotch spectrum for beginners is Laphroaig (you'll either love it or hate it, buy it neat at a bar to try first). As for Irish, maybe look at Powers.

Canadian Club Reserve is smooth as fuck without breaking the bank

It definitely isn't the worst. I had the misfortune of tasting Jim Beam once. It is horribly overpriced though.

I honestly think Jim Beam white is fine, nothing spectacular but nothing wrong with it either. Especially for being the same price as antifreeze inspired bottom shelf vodka in the uk at least

When you say beginner do you mean like price wise like you don't want to spend $80 on a bottle or as in you haven't really experienced whiskey all that much. If money's an issue then stick to the cheaper stuff but not like the 10 dollar shit. If it's the latter then just try whatever you can and find out what you like. I prefer a Smokey flavor scotch over a rye. It's all preference.

Looking to try lighter scotches. Thoughts on Glenfiddich 15?

Islays are the only whisky worth drinking

Dahlwinnie is exceptional light and good for beginners. You can also just harden the fuck up and down some laphroaig casket strength. Stop whining like a little bitch.

It's a very good dram. Lots of flavour and complexity but still reasonably priced. Personally I like it better than the 18.

Islays are my favourite, however Select is a disservice to them. Laphroaig 10 is infinitely better, and stuff like Ardbeg 10 or Lagavulin 16 is another level if you want to spend a bit more

Honestly Monkey shoulder is a good introduction to whiskey. Its Very Good basic whiskey. Good to use as a point of reference when trying other more characterful flavours.

If you'd like something more floral and delicate Glenmorangie is like orange and vanilla. Very smooth and very mellow, very good and very drinkable. I'd highly recommend it If you're after something light. Its my personal fave.

Laphroaig is a good Islay if you want the smokey pete flavour. Its very smooth, but might be a shock if you've not tried an Islay before. Very different to a monkey shoulder or Jameson. Its Almost like putting your head over a log fire or something.

thinking about picking up some johnnie walker or jameson later

>johnnie walker

Red label is complete shit. Avoid at all costs.

I was thinking black/double black

Cant comment on those as I've not tried them. But I've heard they're much better.

>MM
>Overpriced
It's the same price point as JD and is higher quality. I'd say it's a good intermediary between bottom shelf and Knob Creek/Pendleton. The only thing I don't like about MM is that it isn't consistent. Some bottles are excellent, others taste like an ashtray.

A fifth of Maker's Mark is $10 more than No 7 here.

Weird. I've never seen it higher than JD in the States.

I think that Buffalo Trace is a solid beginner's bourbon. It is somewhat sweet, not too harsh, and is very middle of the road as far as it's flavor profile. After trying it, I think someone could figure out what they want more of and move on in that direction.

JD is also horribly overpriced. It isn't even worth $20 for a handle. JD honey liqueur does go quite well with tea though.

Tullamore DEW is shit, o fell for your meme before shill

Both good but if you can get green or blue they're infinitely better. Before you spend that kind of money though you should check out what this user suggested
Yes it's bourbon but willitt pot still reserve is incredible for the price

I live in Idaho.

Well, maybe it's time for you move to civilization then. I don't really know what to tell you. I've been all over the U.S. and MM is always somewhere around JD, but I've never seen it more expensive in a liquor store.

>maybe it's time for you move to civilization then
Meh, the price after tax are still better than most places I've been to in Oregon or Washington at least.

I fell for the Jack Daniels Meme, I hated it.
It was too sweet and tasted like corn.
I ended up throwing half the bottle over the fence into the field where the neighborhood mormon kids play.
Hopefully they find it and become alcoholic

>I live in Idaho.
Same, and I want to mcfucking kill myself

I want a SpongeBob galss

Why not just throw it in the trash or give it to someone you know that likes it?

>give it to someone you know
I don't know anyone though.

What part?

You must be doing Idaho wrong. I live in Sandpoint and it's fucking amazing. You couldn't get me out of here with a crowbar.

I moved to Boise from Portland 2 years ago.
It's gay.
It's trailer thrash, Mexicans, mormons, methheads, and refugees here

4 roses, old grand dad, dickel