How would I calculate how much infrared light it would take to move an 80kg object (a person) say 1 meter per second...

How would I calculate how much infrared light it would take to move an 80kg object (a person) say 1 meter per second squared?

I'm a layman so please explain and symbolism or jargon that you use.

Attached: 226d1e63-8a4c-47e6-9ea3-500874ccde84[1].jpg (450x300, 55K)

bump

I don't understand.

I've never heard of light moving anything as large as 80kg, there are scientific instruments called optical tweezers that use a highly focused laser beam to provide an attractive or repulsive force (typically on the order of piconewtons), depending on the refractive index mismatch to physically hold and move microscopic dielectric objects similar to tweezers.

photons have kinetic energy, and while an object that size would most likely be vaporized by such energy, I was just wondering, hypothetically, how many photons it would require to knock a person back with kinetic energy.

perhaps in the form or wattage of a laser or something like that,

like what would the resulting laser beam look like if it had enough kinetic energy from the photons to move an 80 kg object.

Now we're getting into some cool shit.

The problem is I'm decent at science but atrocious at Maths so calculations aren't my strong suit. I'm actually a total brainlet.

...is this a Cyclops related question?

Do you plan on creating a photon accelerator to be used as a weapon of mass destruction or are you just a fan of cyclops from X-Men?

yes and yes

trying to prove that his optic blasts would in fact melt/vaporize things based on the amount of light it would take to acttually push/slam something.

energy to push object = mass * acceleration * distance

wavelength of infrared light ~ 700nm

energy of one photon = hc / wavelength

energy to push object / energy of one photon = number of photons

number of photons = mass * acceleration * distance * plank's constant * speed of light / wavelength

I have the answer to your question.

Cyclops possesses the mutant ability to project a beam of heatless ruby-colored concussive force from his eyes, which act as inter-dimensional apertures between this universe and another. Cyclops doesn't fire lasers, so calculating the potential kinetic energy found in the photons in infrared light to move a person would be pointless since Cyclop's beam isn't comprised of electromagnetic radiation.

how is it visible and red?

Sorry I fucked this up

energy to push object = energy of n photons = nhc / w = mad

n = wmad/hc

where n = number of photons, w = wavelength, m = mass, a = acceleration, d = distance, c = speed of light, h = plank's constant

so if the acceleration is 1 m/s2 and the distance is 1 meter, it would just be mass * acceleration, right?

Because it looks cool.

I think any particle, even if its made up magical particles, that have enough force to knock over people and literally carve tunnels through the earth, would definitely ingnite things and vaporise things.

Makes sense, at the speed his beam is travelling it would probably burn things due to friction with the air before impact. But the beam is not hot in nature as it's not comprised of electromagnetic radiation.

I think the kinetic energy of the particles hitting an object would release a lot of energy too.

And thanks for the tips guys, I think i've found was I was looking for.

Totally, it would be like being hit with a meteor from another dimension in the form of a constant beam.

Hooray! Congrats.

Attached: 1520084883585.jpg (1280x720, 437K)

This thread is now about how gay Cyclops is. He's an 84 on the Kinsey scale.

>How would I calculate how much infrared light it would take to move an 80kg object (a person) say 1 meter per second squared?

the hard and fast rule is about 300 MW per newton.

The thing is, this assumes the person has perfect reflectivity - this breaks down at the 'person' level because people aren't perfectly smooth, and thus can't have perfect reflectivity. You'd have to include an albedo term in your calculations - if my reasoning is correct it should increase by 1/A where A is albedo

After the first few milliseconds in a beam which exerts a few Newtons, the albedo is close to zero,
Ash absorbs energy very well.

You should question why Cyclops' eyes aren't shoved all the way to the back of his skull by reaction forces.

>photon accelerator

700 nm is not IR