Red Wine General

I'd like to get into this realm boys.
What do you enjoy?

The best way to try wines is to go to your local wineries and do some tastings. If it's a slow day the owner may give you a tour too, which is always fun.

Only middle age women and gays drink wine

Most of Veeky Forums is female

This.

Also varieties that we're local to me that got me into red wine we're Barbera, syrah, and petite sirah. Decant a red and let it breathe for about 45 minutes for best flavor profile. I find reds from the iberian peninsula to be quite accessable to beginners too.

I like full-bodied reds. My buying habits are like this:

>$15-30

grenache, syrah

>$50+

cabernet, Chateauneuf-du-pape blends

>$80+

Bordeaux. honestly, if you have $100 to spend on a bottle of red wine, try a Bordeaux from a great vintage that scores well when you google it. one of a handful of things in life that truly lives up to the hype IMO.

trying to get more into Spanish and Italian wines.

fuck off manchild

Will my taste for wine refine over time?
Ofc i can taste some dofference in how heavy it is, how sweet, and so on, but "flowery", "cinnamon notes" and shit like that just seems like pretentious talk. Is there really something like that or do people just make it up to sound cultivated?

merlot or cabernet sauvignon

right now i'm drinking $7 boxed red table wine from aldi. not as bad as it sounds.

Yes, if you don't drink Mountain Dew every day. No it isn't.

It's not just pretentious talk. It's only pretentious if the person saying it doesn't know what the fuck they're talking about. There is an entire institution behind tasting wine and science for understanding it.

How can wine have "black currant" and "mint" aroma? It's wine, not a fancy dessert composition...

I'd like to taste a wine with wet dog, mushroom and sulfur aroma...

MALBEC MALBEC MALBEC

Because you dingus the same molecular compounds that make black currant taste like black currant and mint taste like mint can either be naturally found in grapes or created as by products of the fermentation process or impregnated into the wine from the barrel. Read a book or something tard.

doesn't most beer have a fuckton of estrogen in it user?

If you're just getting into reds pick up a few bottles in the $15-$25 range of different types. Pinot noirs are easy drinking and pair well just just about everything, get an Argentinian Malbec, an Italian Chianti Classico (make sure it has the DOCG) label on the neck, a melot, and a Cabernet sauvignon. Cabs are full bodied wine and will overpower many foods hence why you should eat them with beef of some kind. You could try pairing it with a good beef stew.

Yes yes, mr virgin, good on you for defending your masculinity. Now, go back to being a fat piece of shit who pounds beer by the sixpack.

Holly sheet, really?
Thanks god i dont drink no alcohol

expand your horizons as a drunk, bro. Wine will get you fucked up. It's not just for acting fancy.

It can be cheap if you want it to be. In fact, wine is popular among the homeless because dirt cheap wine is sometimes the most alcohol for the least money in the whole liquor store.

But it can also be genuinely enjoyable if you're willing to pay a bit more (there's no reason to pay exorbitant prices though).

I'm a total pleb when it comes to wine, but I really like Cabernet Sauvignon or Shiraz wines from Australia, New Zealand, or even USA. The Barefoot blend of Cabernet and Shiraz is amazing stuff

Weak bait friendo.

i just buy this shit

You know what the worst thing is? That genuinely isn't b8. Interested to see what comes up in this thread as I would like to branch out to proper stuff.

I like whisky a lot, so I am aware what I said comes across as "Johnny Walker Black is amazing".

I had a white wine that had a wet dog scent. A Riesling I had smelled like burning rubber. Also had a Sauvignon blanc that smelled like celery

Bolla is an Italian wine company from northern Italy that imports there wines here to the states for great prices, and they make a great product.

Try the following: Chianti, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Savignon, Valpolicella, Bardolino.

All are reds, most are available in larger markets, are reasonably priced, and very good.

Alsace pinot noir.
Keep it in the fridge.

what's your opinion on charles shaw?

>fuck off manchild
wrong twice

I'm most experienced with Spanish wines due to living in Spain for a year but...

I will say, a 2010 Ribera del Duero was the absolute greatest red wine I have ever drunk in my life. Perfect balance of robust body, tannin acidity, and complex sweetness. Don't believe Rioja's lies, it's considered kinda mediocre compared to Ribera in Spain. Also if you ever have the chance, try some wine from Lanzarote in the Canary Islands, the grapes are grown in volcanic soil and give the wine a really special flavor.

Is this the name? I think Ribera del Duero is just the producer of the wine.
I seriously wanna try that though, it sounds great.

I don't remember the particular brand(s) unfortunately, I just remember that almost every Ribera I had in Spain was delicious.

I do remember a wine called La Zorra, which is D.O. Sierra de Salamanca. Probably not attainable unless you go to the province of Salamanca, but it's quite near the Ribera del Duero wine region. Generally most Castillian wines I've had are delicious: Toro, Rueda, Ribera, Sierra de Salamanca, Cigales, Arribes, all are great (some aren't particularly known for their reds btw). Toro is the type of wine that Columbus took on his voyages because it was stout enough to withstand a journey by sea; it's probably my second favorite from the region because of it's rich body. If you can find these wherever you're at I'd recommend them all, though Ribera you probably have a higher probability of finding since it's more popular.

Shiraz and cab sav are what i call full body wines, so maybe that's your thing. They tend to come from hotter climates.

Good Bordeaux can be pretty amazing, but honestly if I have that kind of money to swing at wine I usually go for a Rhone syrah, like a hermitage or cote rotie.