I can't do it. It's just too damn boring

I can't do it. It's just too damn boring.

How do you philosophy fags do it?

We start with the Greeks

this book starts with the greeks as well

If you ever want to read for pleasure disregard 80% of the recommendations on Veeky Forums. Pic is related if you want to read a general overview of philosophy that has its problems but is easy to get through.

Yeah that is the problem, Anthony Kenny starts with the Greeks, not you.

what are you talking about you dumbass?

Are you in the Logic part? It's the most "boring" part, sure, but there's no other similar book that is as succinct and (correctly) informative as this. Copleston is too long and Russell is too biased.

Read primary sources you imbecile

why would I do that without first understanding their background?

you actually take memes seriously?

What? Buy the Hackett presocratics and read it faggot. You're learning very little with surveys

If you don't like philosophy just read something else.

You really need to just read the fucking greeks first, it's not a meme, start with Plato's Republic, the penguin edition has a great introduction that summarizes the entire dialogue and places it into context. Once you read Plato you learn hoe to think philosophically and other texts become easier because you have a reference point.

Read Bertrand Russel instead.

>start with Plato's Republic,

start with the presocratics, fucking pseud

Starting with the presocratics is the real meme, their thought is usually condensed into the introductions and referenced in the footnotes of more the more influencial Greek texts. Start with The fucking Republic.

Reading philosophy is pleasurable to me because I enjoy reading the thought processes of the greatest minds throughout history; there is a profound joy in reading the technical creativity of the great philosophers, even the driest like Kant or Frege. To me, reading a general history of philosophy is missing the point and not to mention all of the fun. I feel bad for you, and those who read these books, because you've been memed into thinking that you either won't be able to put the puzzle together yourself over a sustained amount of time, or you lack the dedication and self confidence that philosophy requires. People here are only interested in the vanity of knowledge, and these books sell the notion that you can acquire all this philosophical background and be set afterwards. Well philosophy doesn't work that way. Its a task and it takes a long time of wandering aimlessly in a complex maze before you start making the connections and catching the insights of these thinkers. You really need to put yourself in the shoes of the writer. It is okay if you don't know everything before you begin, this is how you learn. This is how you think. If you're interested in philosophy realize that it is a life long process whose purpose is constant revision and reclarification. You will never read some text and come away with the same thoughts as a previous reading.

t. Someone who used to be like you. Relax and try to find within you why you want to read philosophy. For what purposes

Read the philosophy book related to what you're thinking about at the time. You don't have to know the entire chronological history of the subject.

>too long
It's a 2,000+ year long tradition. Fuck off if you just want something succinct. It doesn't work that way.

Dont start by reading about history of philosophy but rather when thinking about something, some specific problem or idea try researching which philosophers discussed it. This will slowly get you into philosophy and you'll be researching more and more.

In any case don't start by studying greeks, they're boring

Read Durant's The Story of Philosophy instead.

Btw Sartre, Camus and Bergson are good for begginers, they can easily get you into topics. And later on, you can return to them and reread their work in new perspective

>recommending a book that butchers two of the most important figures in Philosophy.

>apology of socrates
>meno
>either phaedo or symposium
>Plato's republic
( like this user says)
>apology again
>death of socrates

The only list you need.