The Pizza Section of the Grocery Store

You must make a pizza using only the ingredients from these shelves, plus your choice of cheese. The cheese must come from the regular cheese section, not the gourmet section.

What are your ingredient selections?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/My-Calabria-Rustic-Cooking-Undiscovered/dp/0393065162/?tag=serieats-20
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I don't see any meat

Most grocery stores have bags of premade pizza dough in the coolers, are those not in play?

i cum in a jar and put it on shelf

There's pre sliced pepperoni there.

I guess I'd just do it the shit way. Permed crusts, sauce, pepperoni, and big bag of cheap mozzarella. Are those canned mushrooms and black olives? Fuck it throw those on too.

Whatever.

Naan bread pizza is nice.

Shouldnt it be refrigerated? Thats kinda gross

Dry cured meats...

don pepino is the shit

I would take a crust, the white sauce at the far left, and some of that Velveeta knock-off in the lower right, and blow your mind.

Don Pepino's sauce is actually pretty fucking good for some store bought shit.
>Boboli Crust
>Don Pepino's Saujce
>Regular Mozz
Looks like im winning

All I know is don't use the Chef Boyardee sauce

It's the cheapest for a reason

betty crocker crust, classico sauce, whatever the cheapest pepperoni is. I'm mad that I don't see artichokes, jalapenos, or anchovies.

Whatever mozzarella they have in the regular cheese section.

There are jalapenos waaaaay in the back behind the mushrooms

One of the dry crust packets you have to make it probably a lot better than the preformed crusts.

How many chemicals do you think are on those shelves total?

You should reevaluate your life if you're making pizza from a Wal Mart shelf.

how many chemicals make up your body right now?

>Boboli crust
>Contadina pizza squeeze sauce
>Pre-shredded mozzarella because fuck you, it's convenient
>Hormel hot & spicy pepperoni
>Peppers
>Mushrooms
>Olives

I don't know the total, but I know there's lot of calcium for SKELETON INSIDE YOU!

Do you know what that word even means?

..... you can get pizza sauce out of a squeeze bottle .... ?

>there are people that wouldnt instantly go for the Chef Boyardee box

>cheese
>USA
Something doesn't add up.

I don't think I've realized before now that people don't usually make their own pizza sauce. In my family we've always made that and the dough ourselves.

>SKELETON INSIDE YOU!
spoopy skellington.

I don't understand this, and I think you're bullshitting. You make tomato sauce in big batches. For a pizza, you only need a little sauce, enough to thinly cover the crust. Do you thaw sauce every single time you want to make pizza?

No, i pack it in mason jars and use it as we go. If i don't have sauce at the time then i probably know in advance that i want pizza and then i'll make it.
I can relate to having a couple of cans of tomatoes but pizza sauce in a can seems weird and foreign to me.

Sauce doesn't stay good forever, dude. Just how often do you have pizza?

I used to eat it pretty fucking often because i was obsessed with it at the time. It became a whole obsession where i started to buy different types of tomatoes from different regions or Italy and then flour from different parts and then i tried to experiment with water/flour ratios. I think i still have like 6 different pizza stones/steels.

Why would you bother

Yeah... sure.

Just to follow up. These days i know in advance when i'm going to make pizza and then i spend 20~mins of prep when i'm making the dough the day before anywho.

That's what nonna did so i guess we all just started doing it ourselves.

since you have so much experience making sauce, share your recipe please. I have a few tomatoes to use up

What type of pizza do you want to make?
Also what type of tomatoes do you have?
If it's in a can is it then Classico, 7/11 ground, Jersey fresh, Sclafani or whatever?

A pretty common / known one is 800g of Sclafani, use about 60ml of water to clean out the can. You then cut a couple of basil leaves very thinly chiffonade. Add oregano to taste, 1tsp of sugar and 2 cloves of garlic (how i like it).
You blend the tomatoes or squash them with your hands and then mix it together.

The sauce is so fucking important, if people say they don't like pizza then it's because they haven't had a good sauce. If you're making NY style pizza then don't fucking cook the sauce, never cook it.

what if I have tomatoes that aren't canned. and I want a thin pizza with tomato sauce. and about how much oregano? to taste is vague as fuck

Jokes on you OP; the pizza section of my grocery store is opposite the canned fish section, so I can make an objectively superior anchovy pizza.

no, most do not, ive only ever seen that at whole foods

>to taste is vague as fuck
You're right, my bad. What kind of tomatoes though? San Marzano is the apex of pizza tomatoes since they have a pretty decent ratio of meat to seed. Then there is stuff like Romas with a pretty big amount of seeds. San Marzanos are pretty small so a lot of people use either Amish or Romas. I really like San Marzanos and the Neapolitan pizza association says you _need_ to use those to legally call it a neapolitan pizza.

Some people remove the seeds but i like them and it makes the sauce a little less runny. So you take the tomatoes and blanch them to remove the skin. The Italians like to just take the whole tomato and cut it up, boil it enough for it to get soft and then they run it through a food mill.

Rosetta Costantino in "my calabria" suggest taking a portion of the sauce and then broiling it until it becomes a paste.
>amazon.com/My-Calabria-Rustic-Cooking-Undiscovered/dp/0393065162/?tag=serieats-20
If you do that then you take your tomato sauce with your blanched tomatoes, add your tomato paste and mash it together.
>I think Kenji Lopez has a video where he does this somewhere.

But as with most things it comes down to taste, i could give you a recipe with grams of what you need in your sauce but you might not like it.

So, i then take my newly made tomato sauce, take the previously mentioned basil leaves and cut them chiffonade. You add 1-2 tsp of oregano.
>Alex French Guy Cooking recently uploaded a good video on how to dry oregano if you're interested in fresh stuff. There has been some news about shady companies putting all sort of shit in oregano to make it weigh more.
You add 1tsp of sugar and crush 2 cloves of garlic and mix it.

That's the sauce for a New york style pizza sauce. You could add onions but it's not like that traditionally.
>There is a huge community on leddit (i know, fuck me) that does pizza over at /r/pizza and there are people there who are way more of an purist than i.

Boboli crust, pizza squeeze, melt n dip, no yolk pasta for texture, canned mushrooms

>American supermarkets

Jesus christ

you don't make sauce only once a decade are you fucking retarded. you fucking make more sauce by the time the old sauce goes bad

>canned mushrooms
For what purpose

So then you're in a position of HAVING to make sauce, not WANTING to make it. I'd rather spend a few bucks on something decent from the store (and there *are* decent jarred sauces) than being a slave to the timing of food expiration.

Betty Crocker crusts, Classico sauce, mozzarella, provolone, and parmesan cheese.

No need to bother with those terrible pepperoni.

I get such pizzas to come out alright.

That's pretty damn good user. Do you use Steel, stone or just a normal oven?

that honestly doesn't look too bad

Wow, even Classico's gotten into the pizza sauce game.

I remember when they first came out, my young self totally bought into the advertising and I thought they were leagues above Ragu or Prego. They DID taste better, I'll give them that. But I'm wondering if they've gone the way of so many other premium brands, where they either de-evolve until they're really not much better than the shit-tier stuff, or super-premium brands come out that make them look shit by comparison.

Other brands have made them look awful in comparison. Classico is sill a better option than ragu and prego though.