I only know one other person who likes prickly pears

I only know one other person who likes prickly pears.
Why don't people like them, /adv/?

I'm almost addicted to them and have eaten as much as 3kg in one day. I never get enough.

Growing in my yard...

Most people don't have them around and they require a bit more time and care to actually be able to eat them

very jealouse

Not more than peeling a banana...imm glad i can get theme at the same store i buy all the rest of my food. But seriously, i'm the only one buying them. Whenever i go, the packs i didn't buy are still there... that seems so odd.

Well I wasn't aware bananas had little spines growing on them

The green variety served cold is amazing. Man now I'm craving.

My local store sold them a while back, so I got a few out of curiosity. The taste is ok, but I got a mouth full of rock hard seeds at every bite. It was really hard to enjoy.

>Not more than peeling a banana
You're balancing on that fine line between exaggerating and straight up lying.

>tfw you're surrounded by prickly pear in Arizona but you don't even like them
I want to like them but it just tastes like a vague generic sweetness with nothing interesting. Saguaro fruit, on the other hand, is fucking god tier. My absolute favorite fruit.

Arabs love them.
Because they live in dirt poor deserts full of wars and poverty.
Other people can just grow real fruits with actual taste

Don't these have a weird gritty texture or are full of little seeds or something?

>Why don't people like them

because you cant find them at wal mart

I bought some a few weeks ago, can't find any atm. Subtle flavor and meant to be eaten slowly, so no wonder murrikans don't like them.

>Why don't people like them, /adv/?
Wrong board
Also when i try to eat one they... well... prickle

Don't eat the skin

There's a fuckton of seeds inside.

I hated them growing up for some reason. We have buttloads of that stuff. The rest of my family goes nuts for them.

green ones dont have much flavor
they just taste watery

I just ate 3 pounds of them the other day, I had already had a full meal and was satisfied but then my friend arrived with a cooler full of ice cold unpeeled prickly pears, these things are the shit and I used to buy them by the dozens and inhale them. I wanna grow then but I need a good few pads.

Are you Mexican brah?

Isn't it a crime to harm a saguaro cactus?

I've tried prickly pear cactus a few times, but dealing with the seeds is a pain in the ass.
Are you supposed to remove those seeds before eating, and if so how is it done?

>shit texture compared to dragon fruit
>hard seeds like a guava
>tastes like a watered down dragon fruit
No thanks

A felony actually, up to 25 years in prison.

i live in AZ, where can I find these? how do i know if they're good to eat?

25 years in prison for messing with a fucking cactus???

USA - not even once

The penalty is actually as severe as producing a European cheese without a license. Unlicensed provolone gets you 25 to life.

saguaro in AZ are important for the environment because it's a desert. we don't have as many trees to make oxygen

I have just looked up that law and it appears it is mostly bullshit. You can land behind bars for stealing one though. Apparently cacti are in high demand by landscapers and home owners and can go for well over 1500 bucks.

I wouldn't have put it past you guys though. twenty years ago I spent 4 week in the US on holiday and rented a mountain bike in Zion national park and happily cycled all over the narrow dirt tracks and paths there. After a while I came across a sign announcing up to two years in prison for straying off the asphalt with your bicycle.

You could have harmed the dirt with that bike.

Take only photos, leave only footprints.

I love the hell out of them but I'm biased since they're a childhood food. I eat them whenever it's season for them.

And if you find a pretty feather, don't even think about taking it with you.

I believe you ... I visited Petrified Forest National Park too, and after reading all the warning signs there about taking home stones i didn't even dare to stoop to tie my shoes for fear of being shot on the spot by the wardens

I love laws like that. It allows people to see rare, valuable environments without fucking it up for everyone else. If you're not going to steal any petrified wood, then you can just ignore the signs. Our national parks and forests are very different from most euro ones in that they're relatively untouched by human hands. Also there isn't a rest stop where you can by food and water every km. Euro parks (French and German especially) are weird like that.

>Euro parks (French and German especially) are weird like that.
We don't have real wildlife in Europe. We've got back a few wolves now, but that's about as interesting as it gets. Also, not much ancient that hasn't been touched by humans for millennia.

Straying off trails compacts dirt and inhibits plant growth. This is especially true in deserts and tundras. That'a why on mountain tundras they make you stay on the trail.