What is your current degree sci, what would you choose again I’d you had to do it all over again...

What is your current degree sci, what would you choose again I’d you had to do it all over again? Any interesting combinations you’d create?
Also are interdisciplinary studies a meme?

Attached: 680E34F4-77F6-4753-A86A-A19F8D3AE585.png (791x722, 52K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_income_in_the_United_States#Income_distribution
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Computer engineer here. I'd do it over again, in fact I'd prefer it because my GPA is super low and I think it would help with my job search. I think a double major with computer and electrical engineering would be super dope. They are related so I bet its manageable although very challenging.

It seems like everything is a lot more manageable in retrospect. Is graduate school an opportunity to clean the slate or does it present its own unique challenges?

>Degree
History
>what would you choose again?
Nothing: I've wanted to teach military history at the university level since I was 11 years old.

Attached: IMG_1774.png (874x491, 475K)

I agree, the double major probably seems manageable because I have had the experience and know what to expect.

And I'm not too sure about graduate school because I only have my bachelors. I'm probably going to join the navy to get some job experience and familiarize myself with the field.

>Engies
>Not a suicide tier where you work as a monkey for rich people

lel, keep lying on yourself, kids

Ill fix this for you

Attached: N4mHa1P_d.jpg (640x640, 38K)

Computer Science hons
Probably would have went to McGill instead. Had the grades for it but wanted to avoid french people. Also, I would have partied less and focused on school more.

>Philosophy & Art
>God tier

Attached: Wojak Mc Donalds.png (231x218, 11K)

Biochemistry.

I'm just graduating now so I don't yet know if I'd have preferred something else. I'm definitely satisfied I didn't go with a regular Biology degree because I think chemistry and physics are really important for studying bio and I don't think I'd have as good a perspective without having studied them seriously (even if all I really did was dip my toes).

If my experience could have been improved, it would have been not to previously fuck around with so many classes outside the major, and spent that time learning more math. Maybe would have taken a BME course.

Why is pharmacology just great tier? Surely it's a pretty in demand field.

t. prospective pharmacologist

Pharmacologist or pharmacist? There is a difference.

CompE PhD here. I finished with just over 3.0 since I was an awful student my first couple years. Yeah grad school definitely cleans the slate but it might be harder to get into top school without good GPA. Try doing undergrad research to make up for it. Best way to get into any program is to have a professor there that wants you to be his student

Funny I thought about going military once I got my BS but it seems like they don't do much actual engineering

cry harder jelly faggot

can't find Transgender/LGBT studies on your chart, where would you place this?

Attached: images (1).png (235x215, 8K)

It doesn't matter what degree you have.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_income_in_the_United_States#Income_distribution

>current
2nd semester ChemEng
>do it over?
If I wanted to do it over, I would.

Original replier here who is thinking about joining the navy. (I know replier isn't a word)

I would kill to have a GPA above a 3.0. I was a shitty student throughout college and just barely got my degree. I would like to get into embedded systems but feel unqualified even for entry level positions (My GPA hindered me from getting internships while in school imo).

That's why I am thinking about the navy. I imagine they have some sort of entry level embedded systems program, if not I'd be interested in cyber security too which I know they have.

Why do you think they don't do much CompE in the military? I'm planning on visiting the officer recruitment office on Thursday.

Bachelor in environmental management. And I studied being an elderly near dying old man (26 when started).

If I could back in time I'd study geology right out of high school, then get a PhD in physics and fill a swimming pool with money like my father in law did.

>Why do you think they don't do much CompE in the military?
Because there's an endless amount of American engineer soy to contract out to.

(OP)
>Degree
Economics
>what would you choose again?
Chemistry

Attached: 1520868362939.jpg (236x285, 5K)

Just a heads up, I'm pretty sure gov jobs use a 3.0 as a dividing line between high and low-ranking students, and being below it means you'll be like a year behind on promotions.

I have a natural sciences degree, with a good gpa from a top uni, and really good internship experiences. I’ve become interested in data science (through research applications) and want to get a masters in it. Is this possible even tho i don’t have a formal stats/ comp sci background?

Attached: 27179DC6-C74F-4D3E-B7EA-2EAB0A4B8435.jpg (300x287, 78K)

The secret is that you should never have a job in government to begin. That is unless you enjoy mediocrity or need to feed your fat, unemployed wife on a steady diet.

Ahh, gotcha.

Damn.. I was afraid of something like that happening. I understand though because a lot of recruiters and defense companies I was applying to were turning me down for not having a 3.0 GPA. Plus, if I was a shitty student it doesn't really make sense for a good student and myself to start at the exact same pay grade/position.

Not even for an entry level engineering job? I'm just looking for some experience and am thinking of joining the Navy out of sheer desperation lol

Pharmacologist. Pharmacy is basically retail.

physics/compsci, no regrets
>geophysics in two tiers
sort your shit out

>comp eng above comp sci

You can go to /k/'s /meg/ thread for info about enlistment/officer positions.

I would not recommend it for scientists. I work for the Air Force in a technical position (civilian) and it's ok. Extremely boring. Lots of bureaucracy and crippling conformity. I'm leaving soon.

What you're talking about sounds like navyNUKE. I hear many people hate it but tit gives them good opportunities to work as an engineer in many places after.

Attached: two_cents.jpg (500x333, 64K)

Low-level government engineering jobs pay like $10,000 below competitive, or more. They're known for their benefits and for being kinda laid-back, at least for civilian positions. I'm not sure how they look on a resume. Probably depends on exactly what you're doing, but at the moment a couple years of literally any engineering experience is probably pretty useful.

So med chem or biochem? How are you going to become a pharmacologist?

I'll take a look over at the thread and look more into navyNUKEs. From first glance it looks like the experience I need but could definitely see myself hating it as well. I appreciate the "two-cents"!

I'm totally fine with 10k below competitive, so I don't see that being too much of an issue for me. And yea exactly as you said, any engineering experience would prove to be pretty useful for me. Thanks for the info!

>I work for the Air Force in a technical position (civilian) and it's ok. Extremely boring. Lots of bureaucracy and crippling conformity. I'm leaving soon.
care to elaborate on this? what do you do for the AF? pros and cons? are you in NM?

>Low-level government engineering jobs pay like $10,000 below competitive, or more. They're known for their benefits and for being kinda laid-back, at least for civilian positions.

>this meme again

nsa employee here. hired as a math grad. been working for a little under a year. it is not laid back compared to my bank internship. the math guys at the bank would spend a few hours a day coding and a few hours a month writing up new models. and some statistical bitchwork occasionally. like if someone was sick

im a year into the nsa, expected to read and learn something every week, keep up with latest research in a few math fields, take my work home when needed and im still being trained in classes the senior level guys teach

muh govt workers are lazy is a meme reserved for like city planners and dmv desk monkeys.

the good thing about working for the govt is they waive your student loans or psy them for you. but yea youre right about the less competitive wage. its worth for me tho

fun fact, the guys who work here are not war obsessed, hyper conservative, bible worshipping "patriots." they are pretty liberal and think that america is a country worth working for

the beaucracy is only slightly more consuming than a private sector job but the private sector just fucks it off most of the time. bureaucracy and paperwork make the world turn.

It probably varies a lot with location. My experience is mostly based on a day-long on-site interview with NAVAIR, so it certainly extends into some DOD positions.

How competitive was your job? I guess I shouldn't have said "low-level" as that would also include competitive entry positions, when i really only meant jobs that would hire your average, ~3.0 engineering graduate.

I'm a green beret, would that still be considered suicide tier according to Veeky Forums?

Mathematics and economics joint honours. Anyone else?

wasnt very competitive. i had a 3.6 (3.9 in major tho) undergrad when i applied with no research, just some good prof recommendations. average ranked state school. one of my profs had worked for the nsa previously tho so maybe that helped.

im not at a high level position. im not doing cryptography or anything like that but i hope they train me for it eventually. not sure if theyll pay for my masters

Math and theatre undergrad degrees, working on math PhD. Don't regret the combo at all -- math kept me from being a brainlet and theatre kept me from being a sperg

>engineers
>above suicide tier
Nice try.

What are you talking about? Electrical Engineering is the first thing on there.

another computer engineering fag here. I genuinely love studying about computers, so yeah I'd do it again, and probably will do it again in the form of a phd.

oh yeah and I have a 4.0

Math but I should have done a double major in stats, realized too late that it would barely have added any work. Still have had no trouble getting jobs.

hello high school math teacher

No, developer

same tier as a high school math teacher

Pays better at least

Where does Business Administration with an emphasis in supply chain management land me?

not really

>What is your current degree
computer engineer
>what would you choose again I’d you had to do it all over again?
computer science or industrial design, I've been reaching out for this great design school in Austria, if they offer me a scholarship I would give everything up in a heartbeat and throw away 4 years of public university.

whats the difference between IT and CompSci?

They both end up working as codemonkey developers 99% of the time

do you write the jokes for popsicle sticks?

Did you take them simultaneously

Biology should be unbelievable.

Economics or Computer Science? Economics is cooler but Computer Science has jobs.

>criminology above psychology

As a holder of both of these degrees I can refute this assertion

>implying there's something wrong with teaching high school math

Attached: IMG_1707.jpg (548x470, 29K)

I have theoretical CS degree and now I'm doing medicine. If I could do it all over again I would get into math instead of CS first.

I got a degree in ChemE. I didn't do coops now I am kinda struggling to get a job. Don't do what I did and think that because your major is hard that your grades don't matter.

That's what i plan to do once i start engineering. Take a minor in some humanities like theater or film

BME
I would switch to art history and become an art detective with the FBI, maybe go private after a decade or two

>mfw I did ChemE but the job market here is basically finance and IT jobs

Attached: 40183E65-AF7A-4FFD-B9C9-3A31A928F287.png (776x5164, 3.07M)

Yes it’s possible. You would have to be sure you even like programming through trial and error tho.

Petroleum Engineer here, can confirm majority of my job is manipulating data in Excel and the pay is amazing. Unbelievable tier unless you prefer thinking about theory at work.

I have a question for you, I have a degree environmental science, know geology, excel, and data analytics. how could I break into this field? is it possible?

What's an acceptable comp sci program ranking cutoff for the degree to be useful?

Attached: 1520978733998.jpg (500x700, 78K)

You probably wouldn't be able to work as a petroleum engineer without a degree. But with your background you could definitely get in the door as a technical assistant (tech/TA) , most companies need one whether they admit it or not to do all the database quality control, make sure data is all formatted and filed consistently and generally maintained so that the geologists and engineers, many of which are frankly incompetent with a computer, don't have to think about it.

Problem is while every company needs a TA, they often have trouble explaining why to the hiring manager so you rarely see the role advertised. Many TA candidates are a garbage too so it can be a waste of time advertising for a role. However if you are competent and know someone who works for a company as a geologist/pet eng and they can vouch for you, your odds of getting a job go up a lot. Most people in the industry are hired through word of mouth and personal recommendation.

Failing that I would wait until around the time companies would take on interns or grads as that is when they would be most likely to think about what kind of work a less experienced engineer would be able to get started on. Apply then to maximise your chances of a manager agreeing the business could use someone with your expertise.

>IT
>BAD

he fell for the meme

Biochem
Its good, but probably should've just done chemical engineering because it would have been easier and I would get paid more

Going to graduate this year with a degree in applied math and a minor in astrophysics alongside a degree in philosophy. Always liked philosophy even though there is absolutely nothing to do with it. Going into an EE masters degree next spring for emag and then a PhD in Physics or EE