What are some worthwhile Dutch books...

What are some worthwhile Dutch books? I'm thinking of moving there in a couple of years and I want to learn some of the language since I already speak English and German anyway.

You want books written in dutch or books about the netherlands?

>worthwhile Dutch books
Don't exist

Written in Dutch to supplement learning the language.

nescio

this

read harry potter side by side with the english version

Gerard Reve - De avonden
Willem Frederik Hermans - Nooit meer slapen
Just avoid Mulisch and Grunberg.
and this

Cees Nooteboom is decent in my opinion.

>Op de dag dat Inni Wintrop zelfmoord pleegde stonden de aandelen Philips 149.60. De slotkoers van de Amsterdamse Bank was 375 geweest en Scheepvaart Unie was gezakt naar 141,50.

Huizinga, Erasmus, Maeterlinck, Hooft, Vondel, hendrik conscience, Hugo Claus

What about Ferdinand Bordewijk? I saw Karakter the movie years ago, recently looked him up but I couldn't find anything of his in translation. Too bad, because I had read some intriguing reviews. Anyone here read him?

De Avonden is definitely translated because I have it.

I read Karakter a very long time ago. I can't remember too much of it. The movie has a slightly different ending than the book iirc.

I think it's only been translated quite recently.

old pic

Grunberg is pretty good IMO, read Blue Mondays and Tirza.
Also Herman Brusselmans even though he's Flemish.

Simon Vestdijk

Does anyone know Dutch science fiction, by the way? Only author I can think of is Tonke Dragt, and that's for kids (though it's very good).

J.J. Voskuil - Het Bureau

Nescio, Couperus, Nijhoff, Mulisch, Reve, Hermans

I wouldn't recommend Couperus to a foreigner trying to learn the language, as his prose is pretty damn archaic.

That sentence set my expectations way too high. Was disappointed for the rest of the book.

Harry mullisch - De Aanslag

Need to update Waning (which is an abridgement) with The Autumn of the Middle Ages, which is the full thing, and great. Another influential Huizinga title which should be added is Homo Ludens.

Last month I found myself in Groeningen drunkenly talking about literature with a Dutch philology student. I asked to note down a few worthwhile Dutch authors and that's the list he came up with
>Harry mulischr
>Willem frederik hermans
>Tommy wieringa
>Bietenstampot

How good/bad did he do? I know the last one is a sort of vegetable dish but he decided to include it for some reason

Read bint by Bordewijk, best Dutch book there is.

De Kapellekensbaan - Louis Paul Boon
Lijmen/Het Been - Willem Elsschot
Het Verdriet van België - Hugo Claus

De Donkere Kamer van Damokles - Willem Frederik Hermans
De Avonden - Gerard Reve

Wait, are there non-dutch people here who actually read dutch books or is it all dutch people making these recommendations?

Non-Dutchman reporting. If your study's early modern Europe youre reading Erasmus, youre reading Huizinga.

Bordewijk is pretty good, he wrote some fascinating short stories like "Bint" which is about a teacher. Been a while since I read Bordewijk though.

Good recs, I'll add
De eeuwige jachtvelden (Tepper)
La Superba (Pfeijffer)

De Avonden is notoriously difficult to really get as a foreigner because the sceneries it describes are so through and through Dutch, like 'kringverjaardagen'

This went better than I expected, thanks for the recommendations.

Grünberg is pretty much garbage, but the rest of the recommendations in this tread are spot on "Het Stenen Bruidsbed" by Mulisch and "Kort Amerikaans" are also good.
Hersenschimmen by Bernlef too.

Dutch scifi writer: Felix Thijssen, Thea Beckman's Kinderen van Moeder Aarde is pretty good for basically YA

>Thea Beckman's Kinderen van Moeder Aarde
I did read Het Gulden Vlies van Thule, 3rd part of the trilogy, but not the first part, for some reason.
I'll look into Felix Thijssen, thanks.