I'm a notorious cynic with regard to the internet...

I'm a notorious cynic with regard to the internet. What are some books/studies that delve into how the internet is altering communication?

To explain further, it seems that there's been a big change in the way we talk to one another. We've shifted away from writing long, well-thought out posts towards essentially reacting with single sentences and humourous emojis.

Newspapers and Twitter soundbites dominant the airwaves. The ubiquity of Facebook, Snapchat, Whatsapp, and Instagram means we're communicating more often but at a much shallower level. Is real talk over? Will people ever feel comfortable having a deep and meaningful conversation ever again? Why do millennials accept every other issue but refuse to see this one? Do you even use the phone to talk?

I read Nicholas Carr's book The Shallows a while back and it was excellent but I want MORE.

Marshall mcluhan

lol tard

People havent stopped having meaningful conversations

In the Swarm, The Burnout Society, The Agony of Eros (Byung-chul Han)
Cold Intimacies (Eva Illouz)

Genuine thanks!

>We've shifted away from writing long, well-thought out posts towards essentially reacting with single sentences and humourous emojis.

Most people never wrote long posts, let alone well-thought out ones.

Try some Evgeny Marazov, Coleman, Sherry Turkle, Jamie Bartlett, John Naughton, Nicholas Carr, Howard Gardner. Put these names into amazon, see what the "also looked at" are and see which ones are obviously less pop-sci.

I know but the internet didn't exactly attract everyone and their mum until social media took off in about 2010. I can only speak for myself but I used to browse a lot of pop-culture sites at university which have since ceased to exist. What replaced them is essentially more social media sites, like Goodreads or Letterboxd.

If you were a student with an opinion in 2005, chances are you were writing long-winded blog posts about a book you read or a movie you watched, not updating your twitter with 140 character opinions.

That's all I mean. I think communication has become shallower and narrower through social conditioning and wanted to find some lit approaches the subject.

Nicholas Carr's book The Shallows approaches the subject by argument that we've essentially become excellent multi-taskers who skim the surface of the internet while not really taking in anything in-depth. I was simply extending that to communication (including instant messaging, social media and blogging).

P.S. I'm not excusing how pseudo-intelligent the aforementioned blog articles might have been.

Looks like a good list. Thanks!

>how the internet is altering communication?

we traded 'small talk' for memes

and its a good trade

As a matter of fact is interesting how common discourse has been simplifed so much but any field (not even academic) has become almost impenetrable if you dont posses a large vocabulary and understanding of it

Purity

Kek. Franzen you glorious birdwatching faggot

>pic related

finnegan's wake

>Why do millennials accept every other issue but refuse to see this one?
The answer is obvious. They don't see this as an issue because they haven't been involved with the internet back then. Do you think teenagers "know anything"? The fact is, they don't. They lack experience in everything. They don't know what pogs are. They think an e-mail is a message on somebody's facebook, or a smartphone text. They don't know what aol is, they don't know what a chatroom is, they probably never even used the "@" sign. And I doubt they've ever used a desktop since their daddies let them to play minesweeper when they were seven. They don't know how things used to be. Twitter, vine, FB, all this dumb shit, it's their generation. "Keep it short and sweet"? More like, just "short n sweet"

nice!

primo spaghetti-o

If this isn't a joke

But you don't even know how to use speech marks. Really, how important are any of those temporal shibboleths that you mention? Who gives a fuck about pogs?
Your post is all the more idiotic given that people who grew up with pogs, email and AOL are also millenials. Just slightly older ones. You're not Gen X, the last ones to grow up without a ubiquitous Internet. You're a millenial. The difference between the experience of Gen X and all millenials is a hell of a lot greater than the difference between early and late millenials.

Millennials were born in the 2000s, hence why they are called this.

1. Not how you use the word 'hence'.
2. No.

>grammar nazi
>misspells millennials up and down his previous post
kek'd

I'm extremely skeptical of these sorts of opinions since that have accompanied every single advance in means of long distance communication. This was said during the rise of the professional postal service, of the telegraph, of the phone, of the email and of instant messaging. I don't see how a tiny group of reactionary pundits who were wrong about this topic at every other time in the last two hundreds years should be right about this one.

> we've essentially become excellent multi-taskers who skim the surface of the internet while not really taking in anything in-depth
> I was simply extending that to communication
And maybe you shouldn't do that because they are completely different subjects and you have provided no reason as to why the arguments of one should cross over. Sure snapchat leads itself to flippant exchanges but friendships are built on such things. The majority of the way we interact with the people we care about most isn't deep or well thought out. Snapchat gives a medium where we can interact with people in a way which we already did. It did not invent a new form of social interaction.

>If you were a student with an opinion in 2005, chances are you were writing long-winded blog posts about a book you read or a movie you watched, not updating your twitter with 140 character opinions
No, the chances were if you had an opinion in 2005 it didn't go very far because there was no easy medium to express it. The only difference between now and 2005 is that more people are expressing their opinions. The people who want to write good articles aren't not doing so because they can use twitter. They are still making good articles and it is people who want to write in short soundbits that use things like twitter.

> I think communication has become shallower and narrower through social conditioning
Online communication has become more varied. Shallower (which in no way means bad) means of communication now have separate avenues of expression that do not conflict with well though out communication.

Let me take an example to illustrate my point. Imagine that only 1% of the population are literate. This would have to be an elite. Writing would be only used for matters of state, religious purposes and refined expression among cultural elites. If 99% of the population are literate then you have a whole slew of people with different needs and desires of the medium. Now what used to comprise 100% of writing now only comprises 1%. There isn't any less of it. The new people who can read don't harm that and now many new things are possible for the rest of the population. In this example you are complaining because people know how to read.

Jesus how old are you?

Culture Shock - Stefan Burnett

> can't use a comma
> accuses others of being immature