This is being hailed as one of the best debut novels in recent decades

This is being hailed as one of the best debut novels in recent decades.

>...as I watched the branches of the beech trees being moved around by the wind, tossing out a few small birds here and there, a divination came to me with such blazing and spontaneous alacrity it pretty well blew my mind. However, the sensational mode by which the latest idea came to mind was in fact nit the least but dazzling or unprompted but was rather the sort of consolidated outcome which is typically produced when a protracted and halfhearted analytical process aggravates the superior auspices of an exasperated subconscious. Consequently, the emanation's illuminating glare softened soon enough, enabling me to continue looking at the trees while at the same time according the contents of this most recent development a privileged yet manageable place among my thoughts.

Other urls found in this thread:

newrepublic.com/article/135696/domestic-disobedience
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

iktf

3.6 / 5.0 looks about right.

simple question: is she catholic?

>In the most literal sense, the twenty stories that make up ... Pond

sorry, if you're gonna write like a long winded asspained english translation of some frenchmen you gotta commit to it and go all in and write a door stopper...i'm not reading a collection of short stories made of 150 word sentences.

To be fair, the character is a detached academic.

yeah i skimmed some of it on google books and that quote isn't representative of the rest of it, but it all seems p shitty desu

it's ok I guess nothing amazing

>I had a thought, and then looked back at the trees.

The passage reads a bit like a padded essay. Not even trying to be haughty about this, but it isn't particularly pretty either. I guess if the other person is right, that this is the mind of an academic, then it is kind of funny.

But I'm not going to judge it based on that passage alone. In isolation, it ain't that compelling.

Debut novels arenĀ“t that good most of the time i suppose.
Espcially if the author is young

that's the gaudiest most pretentious prose i've read all day and I read DFW

I think it's supposed to be parody satire but I'm not sure. The entire thing is not like this paragraph but there are several instances of this.

how does Paris Review decide which unproven authors they will make into stars? why did they interview this chick before her debut even dropped? when a tenured faculty is harassing you to have sex with them and they say they can help you is this what they mean?

>Hello Paris Review? Harold Bloom here, gotta tell ya i got this girl in my workshop, Claire Lious-Bennet, she has some real discernible talent, and she can suck like a vacuum cleaner, think you can fit her into the April-May issue?

oh reading up on her cv it just looks like the brits are trying to promote her as some new literary star since no one gives a shit about british writers anymore, sort of like that shitty new zealand novel that was hyped to hell a few years back around the same time they were manufacturing lorde into a popstar

Oh fuck this thing. My teacher asked our class to write a paper on how it subverts the typical "lonely person in the woods" narrative but I just want to shit on it because the prose is gaseous as fuck. what do?

>what do?
Shit on it because the prose is gaseous as fuck, of course.

If that's really a passage from it, that's fucking unbelievable. The word "divination" isn't even used right. Just from that first sentence you can tell it's garbage. Only a dolt would put "spontaneous alacrity" and "pretty well" into a passage which is supposed to be majestic, and to string the two phrases together requires a prodigious unskillfulness. I hope this is a joke.

That paragraph is plebeian writing married with navelgazing content.

That said, can't judge a book by a paragraph.

I'm pretty sure the main character is some sort of lonely academic woman. And that type of language is slightly caricatured, even even satirical in tone. She's awkward as fuck dropping her spaghetti everywhich way, obssesive compulsive bordering on autism. She thinks she's hella smart with a wicked sense of humor. She's an amalgamation of reddit and /lit.

she's a candidate for the >oneofus awards

His prose is far from pretentious

#ourgal

minimalism sucks, but neurotic obsessive foible spam is not insightful or good, dfw was able to bring it to an artform at times, but just as frequently ended up producing pseud spam

If that's true, it could be a really good story. The prose looks like the writer was purposefully trying to write something pretentious. It reminds of something i would do to meet a minimum word count in an essay. Just look at the excess of adjective and adverbs. As a satire, it works great.
Of course, if it isn't intentional, it's shit

It's needlessly verbose.

Really makes you ponder

newrepublic.com/article/135696/domestic-disobedience

Cancer

this is Confederacy of Dunces type stuff, regurgitated through the bowels of a bookish female pseud.

what is it with these people?

Not impressed