I’m moving away next year for college, and I’m really excited...

I’m moving away next year for college, and I’m really excited. The only problem is the only two things I know how to cook are spaghetti and noodles with butter and Parmesan. I can microwave things, but I want to learn how to cook real meals. Wat do, Veeky Forums? What foods do I start with?

Better get a fucking George foreman

Get a rice cooker, you can just cook rice in it whilst steaming vegetables. I usually cook some chicken breast and snow peas on the stove to go with it as well.

Does that get boring? I’m worried I’ll look like a fucking idiot if I have friends over and don’t know how to make something intricate.

You're going to look like a fucking dropout if the RA sees that you have anything but a microwave or a rice cooker in your dorm room.

as gay as it is, here's some youtube channels to help

Binging with Babish
You Suck at Cooking(YSAC)
Juns Kitchen
and of course, that scottish fuck, Rordon Gamsay

No, that’s honestly helpful. Thank you!

gordon ramsay is the dude you want

So it’s normal to live on microwaved food? Not trying to be sarcastic; genuinely trying to gather info.

Yeah, especially on a tight budget, or more likely in college

hey, it's alright. nobody's going to be demanding a gourmet meal from you if they're over. nobody's expecting you to be their cook. these are college students we're talking about, most are used to just having ramen noodles.

Soak beans of your choice and corn separately overnight (shit like barley or any grain you like if you want, separate of course). When ready you just put it all in a pot, mix it together and add seasonings of choice (oil, hotsauce, S&P. It's all up to you). I'm sure this is a thing in other parts of the world and it would be nice if someone tells me what it's called in their country.

A crockpot is going to be your best friend, you can make spaghetti, stews and soups, chili, pulled pork, buffalo chicken, the list is endless. Impress your friends and make them think you did a lot of work while you throw a bunch of shit in the pot and set the heat to low for 6 hours.

nice dubs

Simple cooking channel is good too, so is everyday cooking and silent cooking imo

What you want to learn are techniques more than recipes. Learn how to cook an egg any which way, learn how to cut, learn how to make a roux...then learn what tastes good with other things (smell is a good indicator!). you can understand what goes into recipes if you learn the basics.

also, if you become poorfag, rice and beans are a complete protein and you can live off of them. lentils are superior because they do not require soaking.

cook a new recipe per day from a website like allrecipes, different styles, you'll learn fast.
An underrated skill is choosing a good recipe and doing substitutions etc when needed

fuck yeah, good investment

>I’m moving away next year for college
Are you sure they'll even have a stove? when I lived in the dorms all they gave us was a shitty microwave in the common area, and they forced us to buy meal plans at the shitty dining center as part of the payment for living in the dorms.

I fear higher education is going to be wasted on you.

It's wasted on most people.

>Think college means education

Looks like you are the retard

>reading keywords in powerpoints from the early 2000s
>higher education
top laff

What the hell kind lf university are you going to that doesn't have a dining hall the students can eat at a couple times a day for a few hundred dollars a semester?

>next year
You eat now, don't you? Start cooking your favorites.
If you will have a tight budget, boredom eating will be your friend. Tuna fish salad sandwiches until you use up your loaf of whole wheat bread, onions and celery hearts.
Next week PBJ with your nice jar of jam.
Next week, hummus and pita, sliced cucumber until you feel like you can't stand it.
Next week, hard boil eggs, and start mashing 1-2/day into an egg salad sandwich, add olives or bagged watercress or arugula.
Next week buy some spinach wraps and turkey, and hit up that bag of carrots, sprinkle with lemon vinaigrette or cream cheese before rolling up.

Dinner? Not as bad if you have a decent freezer. After about 3 weeks, you have enough frozen leftovers to rotate dishes away from boredom. There will be times you decide it is cheaper to buy a rotisserie chicken than cook a roast yourself. Pick off that thing 3 days from tacos to sandwiches to dinner itself with a side of nuked sweet potato. Breakfast will be an inexpensive dinner often, as is cereal and milk, or toast + anything.

>a couple times a day
>for a few hundred dollars a semester
user where do you live? Honest question.

>Ctrl+F
>Stir Fry
>0 results

That's how I started and a Wok and stir fry are some of the easiest and most versatile meals to make

Look up Smart Eats' infograph on stir fry.

Along the lines of this thread I moved into my own place and I wanted to know which essential tools/pans should I have in my kitchen
I have a frying pan, pot, a lil frying pan for my eggs in the morning, a tiny blender, a toaster oven and a set of knives/grater/and a big spoon

The only way it's an advantage is that recruiters magically grant you access if you have a degree , otherwise it's a whole lot more hard work to find employment. Fuck college
Possible exception: STEM
I'll pay for that shit to get explained to me

Just get a dutch oven and some pyrex pans. I rely heavily on my oven to cook shit. meatloaf, sausages, roasts, potatoes, root veggie mix, Brussels sprouts, chicken breast/thigh, all get done int he glass pyrex.

Dutch oven for braised dishes, stews, larger roasts or even whole chickens.

The oven is your friend.

you realize that "dutch oven" is slang for when you fart in bed and tuck the sheets around yourself so the smell cant get out?