Why is it that only Americans hate on fine dining...

Why is it that only Americans hate on fine dining? I never see any Europeans or Asians joke about plating or small portion sizes (for multiple course meals)

Other urls found in this thread:

nytimes.com/2014/07/27/magazine/why-do-americans-stink-at-math.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

All americans think they're upper class/rich at heart, and are deeply offended when they find cultural barriers that shatter that illusion
>american bumpkin gets into fine dining restaurant
this doesn't appeal to me so it is wrong, it should appeal to me!
>European bumpkin gets into high class restaurant
Interesting experience. I'm clearly not the target audience but I can see the appeal.

o b s e s s e d

o b e s e d

name a place youve been to that you consider "fine dining".

noma.

My dad is a mason that helped them get the first noma running back in the day, so we got one of the earlier reservation and a extra thank you. It sounds freaky to eat fermented stuff and ants but it was actually pretty damn good.
People complain about portion sizes but at places like that you go in and get maybe 12 plates of small portions combined with a new glass of wine for every meal. That fills you up pretty fucking fast.

>he fell for the noma meme
go eat at an actual fine dining restaurant instead of an edible art showcase

>noma
Anyone have the live shrimp and ants plate?

American dining is eating something full of flavor and being full. Taste buds are so shot from pop and manufactured flavors that we can't taste anything from things that weren't processed.

However
>ants
Bugs are not fine dining, I don't care how pompous the presentation or how high the cost is.

>american fine dining

Meh, I've been to Geranium for their "wine menu" as well. That's supposedly fine dining but i'd eat stuff from noma any day of the week over that. I know it sounds weird with bugs and fermented carrots and stuff. But it tastes amazing.

Live shrimp is actually pretty good. You tear off the head and then dip it in a sauce thing and then eat it.
I've previously bought live shrimp to do it at home.
I don't think anywhere uses living ants though. At noma it was ground up into a sauce thing and they tasted kind of lemony, slightly sour.

Americans are too smart to fall for the meme of getting ripped off.

>I eat a restaurants for the experience

wa la

>Americans
>smart
kek

Understand though that a large chunk of Americans never finished high school. However, that number is comparable to the number of Russians who never finished. Just as an example.

Fucking Hell........

>never finished highschool
>large chunk of americans

just say niggers.

I like having a mouthful of food in me mouth, thank you.

i keep seeing this meme. whats the source?

fucking hell...people blindly believe whatever bullshit is posted on a ching chong image board if its in a picture. do you really think they would sell a 1/3 pound and a quarter pounder burger for the same price? this never happened, its probably just made up for fun or someone just pointing out the general population isnt very smart.

så du vil anbefale noma over geranium?

lol

see >this doesn't appeal to me so it is wrong, it should appeal to me!

I like these memes

I would actually believe this. That idiots in my lands would fall for this.

You learn this in elementary

elementary... school?

Yes

Post moar.
Is funny.

>meme
You're a fucking idiot.
It's from an A&W marketing report.

I legitimately forgot how to multiply fractions the other day it was embarrassing

kek. amerishits on suicide watch

Yes, but that is just a reason they don't finish high school. You literally don't need to try in elementary.

how is that relevant to how americans fail elementary school math?

That is a completely retarded thesis. Fine dining is a huge part of the American economy and there are tons of Michelin-starred restaurants in America. Try again.

This is so clearly pulled from your ass that I would be shocked if you aren't a shitposter.

>how is that relevant
Because you can graduate elementary school without trying. I mean that literally. Education standards in some parts of the United States mean you can literally fail every class and they still give you a gold star and send you on your way.

Even the local high school here just lets you graduate even if you fail all the core classes. Though you do need to pass a test.

if by ass you mean my personal, anecdotal experiences, yes.

These memes crack me up, post a couple more.

Google it.
It's 100% true.
These tards struggle with basic fractions.

He's not saying that fine dining doesn't exist in the US. What he is saying is that there's a phobia of fine dining held by american lower classes that's largely unique, which is pretty accurate. hits the nail on the head. It has to do with the distinct way Americans think about class.

>Fine dining is a huge part of the American economy
Wrong, it's a very small part.

Be honest, you thought it was real didn't you?

Americans really are this dumb.
Believe it, bitch.

Obsession

>damagecontrol.jpg

It’s not only Americans. It’s people who live in industrial towns and suburbs without a strong restaurant culture. It just happens that there are a lot more Americans in this situation.

Obese

It's not the plating or small portion sizes.

>small portion sizes.
always love when plebs fail to realize how much food you're actually getting by the end of a typical 7+ course tasting menu. You are always full by the end.

Manlet detected

>continues posting about things he knows nothing about

Sadly, that one is obviously fake. Dublin has more Irish flags than NYC has rats.

>nytimes.com/2014/07/27/magazine/why-do-americans-stink-at-math.html
The legendary A&W chimpout.

because in America its super easy to find excellent food that isn't presented pretentiously and is reasonably priced

As an american, I can confirm that he's not.

naisu

I mocked it until I tried it. But these place can easily cross into meme territory. But the American sees that dish and thinks "I can eat more than that". Not knowing its one of eight courses plus bread, cheese, and wine.

What a lot of people tend to forget is that America is a fuckheug country. Of course there's gonna be some rotten eggs here. There's 350,000,000 people.

Although, every time I see this, I'm so embarrassed

No, an American looks at the serving and says "I can eat 16 of those"

I think the fundamental problem is that americans eat until they feel full, not until they are no longer hungry.

This. It is a downward spiral into madness. I was raised to eat until I feel full. Not American.

No the problem is that they place more value in feeling full than in the taste, texture, quality etc of the food itself.

Jesus.....
I knew my fellow countrymen were mostly idiots, but goddamn that's embarrassing.

That said, in am, honesty, you pretty much have to have lived in a big city in the US to understand fine dining. You have to have experienced a full rounded food culture.
I grew up in a small town, and my parents made a point of driving us to one of the close big cities at least once a month to go out to a fine dining establishment so we would learn that side of food culture. What's weird is when I go home to visit now, the town has grown to a small city, and people have opened what they THINK are "fine dining" restaurants, but in reality are just expensive mid-tier bullshit.

>t. skinny fedora wearer
A balance is necessary. You wouldn't pay $50 for a single peanut grown by a sherpa on the top of a mountain and lovingly housed betwixt his asscheeks as he brought it down to you and released on a silver platter to be brought to you.

You pay for a decent meal. True, quality and taste are more important, but feeling like the meal actually mattered is also important. There must be a balance between quality and quantity.

I'm not even gonna read this thread, just dropping by to say anyone who uses the word pretentious is most likely a moron.

>>A balance is necessary. You wouldn't pay $50 for a single peanut grown by a sherpa on the top of a mountain and lovingly housed betwixt his asscheeks as he brought it down to you and released on a silver platter to be brought to you.
If it was delicious enough, sure why wouldn't I? It's not like I can't just eat other stuff in addition to meet my nutritional needs. If that one peanut is a truly unforgettable sensory experience then damn right I'll pay 50 bucks for it and worry about satiation later.

I understand food better than Americans.

German here, that's literally toy food and anyone who eats that garbage is a child. Serve me proper food or fuck off to Auschwitz.

Thank you for your irrelevant opinion.

It's not our fault we have black people

Ikke OP men har været begge stedet inden for 1½ år
Service og vin er bedst på geranium. Maden på Noma er bedre.

im euro and if im not full after a expensive 3 course meal it's fucking shit

>irrelevant
>literally the country running Europe

Nice going brainlet, why don't you have more toy food to fill up the cavity in your skull?

Running Europe into the ground, you mean.

spain, italy and greece aren't running EU

You are not your country though, remember? You're just some random manchild posting on Veeky Forums and living an otherwise totally unimportant life.

A country is its people and every single one counts, not like a toy food eating moron would understand.

What a sad, sad comment

so are you

I believe it. I work in retail in America and let me tell you, the average person in this country is a drooling, slack-jawed retard. Primarily because we have this ass-backwards culturethat values "the wisdom of simple folk" over higher education and the power of knowledge.

Except the brown ones right? /pol/ sure is funny.

if they dont hold the same general values as the rest of the country, yeah.

if they respect and follow the rules, fine

only a fucking retard would think rapefugees are fine, and im not even a poltard and im not even the guy you replied to.

get a grip on reality you fucking moron

>be shitty chain
>try to compete with global supergiant mcdonalds
>fail because no one knows what the fuck A&W is apart from shitty root beer
>get butthurt no one is eating at your shitty restaurant
>it's americans' fault! they don't know fractions! it wasn't us making stupid business decisions!

This is idiotic because McDonald's itself made the Angus 1/3 Pounder which was hugely successful

>has Angus in the name
>people think it's fancy and think it's ok to pay for it

You realize that your perception of what those values are is likely radically different from the majority of your fellow countrymen right? You know, the people that voted for CDU and SDP? What makes you more qualified to judge what defines your nation than them?

Many Americans harbor an anxiety that the upper crust is secretly mocking them (and to a certain extent that's true) so they're afraid that if they say the wrong thing about a wine or don't enjoy a certain dish they will be laughed out of the room. So anything that is considered fine or fancy is to be avoided, lest you make a social faux pas.
There's also still a big influence from protestantism and the notion that even a small indulgence, like a fancy dinner, is socially sinful.
Our fucked up attitude towards wealth and social class goes back to the colonial days and won't be sorted out anytime soon and that's going to hinder a lot of Americans' ability to enjoy something nice once in a while.

>t. American that grew up on the lower rungs of the ladder in fly over land, but still learned to enjoy something fancy now and then without being self-conscious about it

I don't enjoy having nice, expensive experiences. To me, traveling a long ways for a vacation and spending thousands of dollars is absolutely stupid. I'd rather indulge in materialism which isn't really any better.

t. poor american

You've got to be a turbo moron to let food scammers trick you into paying premium for dressed up leftovers they couldn't sell to intelligent customers.

America has a much better view on class than Europe and pretty much the entire rest of the world though

I've had a three course meal on a carnival cruise. does that count?

This brings up another thing. A lot of Americans are focused on a kind of out dated, drag show version of luxury. Things that aren't actually all that fancy are presented to them in a cartoonishly fancy manner and they love it because they can feel like their indulging in something without actually leaving their comfort zone.
Like a cruise ship buffet. They can feel like they're living the upper class life, but nobody will say anything about them ordering 5 lbs of breaded shrimp and a mega margarita.

You see similar phenomenon among the new money middle class from places like Brazil or China.

Only Europeans enjoy and find comfort in having others above them.

The timing of these two posts is utterly perfect.

I don't condemn those who have more than me, but I think they're being foolish when they aren't being frugal. They think all of the things that they are enjoying today will be there tomorrow. If I live fairly humble life, then the thing that is coming that will change all of the US won't be a bother to me. I slaughter animals that I eat. Not all of the meat I eat, but I definitely know how to do it. I also grow and can vegetables. I believe that intelligent people aren't investing in service, but rather the resources needed in order to serve themselves.

I actually look down on rich people, not envy them.

it wasn't a buffet though.

elaborate