Midwest food

Just throw shit in a pot and see if it taste passable

Other urls found in this thread:

host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/govt-and-politics/wisconsin-ban-on-margarine-targeted-for-repeal/article_e7cc94be-e2e7-11e0-ac81-001cc4c002e0.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

How do you fuck up shepard's pie that bad?

You sound jealous that you live in the shitty and subsist on overpriced low quality food prepared by subhumans like yourself

That's tater tot casserole, queerbait.

It's shit is what it is.

That's hotpot or hotdish idiot. And I don't like it either but at least it came from the same state that gave us juicy lucy.

rural central illinois upbringing meant “tuna cooler” and excessive amounts of corn and mayonnaise. personal hell.

It's potatoes, creamy corn, then meat and peas
But they fucked it all up.

Instead of mashed potatoes, it's Tater Tots
Instead of cream corn, it's... Mayonnaise and corn?
The meat looks "alright" but instead of peas and onions, they mixed in string beans?

It's like a shepherd's pie that was made from the leftovers at the bottom of a freezer

There is actually an art to making a good casserole. Anyone can make a bad one, but a good one is magical. I'm not from the Midwest, but I'm older than most people here, and I was a kid in the age of potlucks, parties where the whole family was invited, huge family reunions, church suppers, and legit classic American housewives.
Making a good casserole dish to bring to a party or potluck was a fucking SPORT. I remember my mother fretting for a couple days deciding what to bring because she HAD to bring a better dish than anyone else, and other moms/wives were the same way. And anyone who brought something awful would get whispered about.
I don't cook casseroles very often, maybe just a handful of times a year, but when I do, I'm careful to follow recipes that I know are tried, true, and delicious.

share one or two big boy

>Mayonnaise and corn?

Condensed cream of mushroom soup.

Years ago when I was in uni, a friend of mine gave me the recipe for tater tot casserole. I started bringing it to parties, under the moniker "white trash casserole", and it was an instant hit. People started specifically asking me to bring it. It's not great food, but damn if people won't eat the shit out of it.

Caseroles made with this are unironically good.

I'd be happy to, in awhile, hope this thread sticks around. If not, I'll make a new one.

This. It's not that the concept of a hot dish or casserole is terrible, especially in places with cold winters. The problem with the dish in OP pic is that it's entirely composed of lazy prefab ingredients: frozen mixed veggies, canned condensed soup and tater tots. So even if the idea is OK using such shitty ingredients means the dish will be shit.

>So even if the idea is OK using such shitty ingredients means the dish will be shit.
The thing is that all these "prefab ingredients" all taste good because they're hopped up on all kinds of synthetic flavours.

If you made this, you'd probably find it tasty, even though the idea itself is repulsive.

First time I had a hot dish was in the Minneapolis airport, it was pretty damn good. Granted I had been sitting around in the empty airport all night with nothing to eat until the restaurants opened.

>they're hopped up on all kinds of synthetic flavours.
Not really, though. They just taste synthetic because they're so heavily processed.
>If you made this, you'd probably find it tasty,
I doubt I would. As a kid I found stuff like Camopbell's soup and tater tots exciting. As an adult who cooks everything from scratch they taste weird to me, and not in a good way. But I could see how if you grew up with this kind of prefab cooking you might think dishes like this are amazing. Just not for me.

I'm not saying it's amazing, I'm saying it's tasty. There's a difference

McDonald's is tasty, but I don't eat that shit, either.

>moar butter
>moar cheese
yeah that sounds about right
[spoiler]help i'm dying[/spoiler]

R8 my Green Chile hot dish.
A Minnesomalia tradition

Margarine is more midwest style

>Margarine
No, margarine is for suburb tards everywhere

Why not just use mashed potatoes reeeeeeeeeee

Godbless Minnesomalia

pretty sure it isn't mayo

Because sometimes it's good to be different

>As an adult who cooks everything from scratch
Do you live in 1890?

No, margarine is a coastie thing.
Shit it is still illegal for restaurants in Wisconsin to serve or offer margarine unless specifically asked for by a patron

Midwesterners surely more commonly use mashed potatoes than tater tots, but that wouldn't have made for as interesting an image

Yeah and it fucking rules. My dad makes a pretty dope chicken bruschetta hot dish.

I like my hot dish with cocaine and Polish hooker ass.
t. a proud Minnesomalian

Is that too hard for snowflake? Will you die if you don't get your Morty sauce? Does it interfere with your kikebook?

>margarine is a coaster thing

Surely you're not that FUCKING STUPID, are you? With all the creameries on the west and east coasts? Where I live, you can buy local, cultured butter in every store, even the grocery outlet. It's not a locale issue, it's a person by person basis.

>kikebook
We're just of the Facebook for losers desu

The idea that a modern adult with a job cooks everything from scratch out of principal is pretty ridiculous. Like why no use frozen veggies sometimes, especially the winter?

>That's tater tot casserole, queerbait.

kek

>With all the creameries on the west and east coasts
Midwest has more, coastfag

>With all the creameries on the west and east coasts
Um, the dairy industry has always been strongest in the midwest. When urban coasties started pushing margarine, by far the strongest resistance came from the midwest where the dairy lobby was strong and they made a lot of anti-margarine laws as a result

>He doesn't know about Wisconsin
Fucking retard

West coast is for Beaners.
East coast is for niggers.

We call it "hot dish" so no one will want to eat it.

You're a fucking moron. So, I guess Wisconsin is for cousin fuckers.

The Midwest is where margarine was invented, fool.

No you're getting the frozen tundra of the Midwest confused with Appalachia. Wisconsin is for cow tippers

>cousin fuckers
Fuck off to Reddit.

That's only because you don't have anything fucking else, dipshit. Enjoy your California grown produce this winter, snowfucker.

"Margarine originated with the discovery by French chemist Michel Eugène Chevreul in 1813 of margaric acid "

No you.

not where it was popularized though

After you M'lady
*tips straw farmers hat

retard

um, enjoy your fires I guess

>California grown produce
Yuck, I wouldn't eat that Mexican piss covered shit.

And was mass produced and marketed in this country as filler, just like processed cheese wasn't invented by Kraft, but he was the first to mass market it. Look up the manufacturers of margarine products like Country Crock and Parkay, and read where their headquarters are.

You do every day, dumbass.

Why do all Californians look and act like Guy fieri and Darrell sheets?

Detroit doesn't count. It's basically a coast city, with all those niggers

"The principal raw material in the original formulation of margarine was beef fat. In 1871, Henry W. Bradley of Binghamton, New York received U.S. Patent 110,626 for a process of creating margarine that combined vegetable oils (primarily cottonseed oil) with animal fats"

> making excuses based on racism because he can't handle the truth

Flyovers, ladies and gentlemen.

>I can't believe it's not butter
Baltimore Maryland

>racism
Reddit, ladies and gentlemen

Idaho would be number 1 in production if the USDA didn't limit price competition and they already lead in per capita

And??? Was he the one who pushed it on the masses? No. That would be your flyovers. This is why this country is going to hell, because people like you will use circular logic and denial speak just so you can feel right.

So, you're actually going to argue that a post containing the word "niggers" isn't racist? You are the epitome of stupid.

>And??? Was he the one who pushed it on the masses? No. That would be your flyovers.
This is blatantly false. The midwesterners were the ones trying to ban margarine, then during WWII butter shortages allowed the east coast margarine lobby to popularize it. It still never became as popular in the midwest as it did on the coasts thanks to superior local supplies of butter and successful marketing by dairy producers

Citation needed.

host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/govt-and-politics/wisconsin-ban-on-margarine-targeted-for-repeal/article_e7cc94be-e2e7-11e0-ac81-001cc4c002e0.html
Wisconsin literally didn't repeal anti-margarine laws until this decade

I agree that Wisconsin (mainly) fought the use of margarine up until the mid-century, but that's because it directly affected the state's main source of income, not because of some weird superiority. It was all about money. If all you have in your local economy are dairy farms, obviously you don't want anything that could affect that. It's about economics, not quality of food. Wisconsin cheese isn't even the best in the country.

>not because of some weird superiority. It was all about money
Exactly as it was everywhere. Margarine was made in urban factories, and butter on rural farms, so margarine because popular and was far more cost effective in urban coastal areas, while butter was always more plentiful in the more rural midwest

Nowhere was this decisions primarily about quality, but the fact is margarine was popularized first in coastal urban areas and was never really embraced by the midwest like it was on the coasts and the super poor south that couldn't afford butter

>Wisconsin cheese isn't even the best in the country.
eh, Wisconsin makes most of America's cheese at every tier (besides the process stuff if you want to count that, which is based in California and Illinois). Wisconsin makes the vast majority of America's mass produced pizza grade cheese (by far the largest use of cheese in the country), but it also has most of America's small and large artisan cheese producers. The industry there is strong at all levels as that is where the infrastructure, and people educated in cheese production primarily developed and persisted

>implying the south couldn't afford butter

Man, your head is so far up your own ass.
Also the majority of margarine production is in the midwest.

It's still not the best in the country. Just because they make a lot doesn't make it good. It's rubbery junk.

>Also the majority of margarine production is in the midwest.
maybe now, but this certainly wasn't the case traditionally. Keep in mind that the midwest also makes most of the butter

To clarify, Wisconsin makes most of the junk cheese, and also most of the best cheese in America, there really isn't strong competition with them at any tier of cheese quality, no one comes close to them with mediocre pizza mozzarella or with top tier cheese

California outproduces Wisconsin in dairy by about 14 million pounds. CA is the largest dairy producer in the US now.

Ca's dairy production is mostly milk, and skim milk at that, and process cheese. Wisconsin leads in other dairy categories

Wisconsin makes shitty block cheeses wrapped in plastic at the grocery stores. Good American cheese comes from creameries in CA, NY, and VT

Nigger like negro is a word that means black, you would know that if you were not stupid. Quit treating blacks like pets you racist cunt

To expand on this, Wisconsin actually has to import milk from surrounding states because more milk than it produces is used in dairy products there

> racist logic at work

You fucking moron.

That's because it wasn't supposed to be a shepherd's pie you moron.

>Good American cheese comes from creameries in CA, NY, and VT
Wisconsin has more top tier cheese than these states combined. NY and VT mainly just do one specific type of decent cheddar, and CA has a few cool creameries, but actually a fairly small number considering how massive the state is. Wisconsin likely has more quality cheese producers than those states combined. Please keep in mind that the cheap pizza cheese Wisconsin makes in no way inhibits their ability to make top tier cheese, in fact it helps it because there are so many more people educated in and interested in making good cheese. The UW dairy science school is and has been for many generations to most influential educator and innovator in the industry

It obviously is
Potato, cream corn, meat.
That's fucking shepherd's pie

the fuck kind of shepards pie has creamed corn?

Pate chinois style.

I like how because some random ass dish you consider to be similar to shepherds pie uses creamed corn that that makes this casserole somehow a type of shepherds pie in your eyes

If you are using creamed corn, it is not shephards pie

>implying Wisconsin knows more about cheese than Europe.

um, I wasn't talking about europe at all.
But keep in mind that Wisconsin was almost entirely settled by Europeans

Sorry europoor but you simply lack the ingredients or technology to produce quality food

Nigger and black person are two different things. White trash and white people are two different things. Why is it so hard for you racists to understand? Just because they're black, doesn't mean they're all good or bad. You denote the bad ones by calling them niggers.

Buckeyes (the ohio thing) makes up for all the laziness of Midwestern food.

The Midwest is also excellent for pizza (assuming you stay out of Missouri) and hotdogs (a lot of places in the Midwest will use actual proper fucking sausage).

what pizza? Pizza Hut and 'go 'za? Come to the Northeast for real pizza.

No one wants cardboard New York pizza. No where is excellent pizza of a wide variety of styles as common as it is in midwestern cities. People are less concerned with eating healthy or vegan so there are so many more excellent pizza providers

No, you don't.
>more racist logic.
If someone's trashy, they're just trash. White trash, black trash, Asian trash, Latino trash. Trash people are trash. YOU are are trying to justify an old, antiquated racist term for black people that is worse than just derogatory. Because you can't accept that you are misguided and wrong, and racist.

t. Coastie cuck

Man, that's an oooooold pic.

>inbred flyover retard