Name one major poet over the entire western canon that wasn't at least bilingual

Name one major poet over the entire western canon that wasn't at least bilingual.

Yeats

whitman

>american """poets"""

i'd love to tell you why you're retarded but it's so blatant that i'm sure you'll figure it out.

Both spoke other languages

Which?

uh huh

> major poet
> 4ft """tall"""

sorry, no

It literally explains how the French language influenced him

who gives a shit? OP didn't say "name a poet over the entire western canon that wasn't at least influenced by another language", he said one that wasn't bilingual. it explicitly states, in laymen's terms that even a 10 year old could understand, "There is no evidence that Whitman could actually read or speak any language other than English".

are you slow?

John Clare

>There is no evidence that Whitman could actually read or speak any language other than English.

Dropped.

>bilingual

Lmao you mean polyglot, right? Everyone peasant can be bilingual, it's just pick some familiar language.

Being European and bilingual is like being Indian and shitting in the street.

>implying being bilingual has anything do to with social relevance

POO

>Yeats

Never wrote in Irish but I believe he spoke Irish to a relative degree of fluency.

Homer.

Are you sure? Googling throws up this quote:

>While testifying at the trial that resulted from the Playboy riots, Yeats remarked that "I am sorry to say that I understand no Irish".

/thread.

Yeah, you're right. Maybe i'm confusing him with someone else.

Ayyy my man

me desu

Literally one of the greatest poets in history, Shakespeare.

Wait a fucking second, old shak was monolingual?

So was Homer.

Nope latin

He hadst small Latin and less Greek.

no greek at all

According to whom?

But Shakespeare would have left grammar school with a greater education than most modern classics university graduates, he would have spent all his time studying latin, greek and rhetoric. Probably he didn't give a shit after he was grown up and because Jonson was so obsessed with erudition, he highlighted it in his elegy, but I don't think the case can seriously be made that Shakespeare was monolingual.

Also wasn't french still widely known by educated Englishmen back then? I'm sure there's some french in Shakespeare somewhere - Henry VIII perhaps? Maybe it was John Fletcher that wrote those scenes.

Also-
Where's the evidence for that? I'm sure there were other languages and dialects he would've learned (if he existed)

They didn't teached greek back then.

Shakespeare didn't have much of an education, what with leaving school at fourteen and all that. His lack of education is one of the greatest controversies surrounding him, as some reckon that he couldn't have written as well as he did with his education, and suspect that another must have written his plays in his stead.
During his education he would have learned Latin, but as Jonson notes - he retained little of it. I really don't think the few years childhood study of the language make him bilingual.

Do some research into his education - I know it sounds like he wouldn't have been multilingual but Grammar schools literally just made kids stand around all day speaking latin and mastering rhetoric.
might be right about them not teaching greek - I admit I haven't read that they did but I thought they probably would've done so.

literally all of the greeks