Hi lit i'm having something of a faith crisis right now...

hi lit i'm having something of a faith crisis right now. until recently i've been an agnostic/weekend atheist (if that makes sense); i've never really had any convictions about faith for most of my life. this has changed and i have felt the presence of god. however, i do not know how to process this in any way and i am very confused and lost.

please point me to some texts (philosophical or otherwise) that would help me define god and faith for myself or at least help me in beginning what i'm realizing will be a difficult journey.

yeah meme yourself into irrational belief you dip

>i have felt the presence of god
how fucking presumptuous

It baffles me how Veeky Forumsizens seem to want to pick up faith like a fashion statement. If you truly felt god, then look inward. Don't be so quick to seek meaning external to yourself.

Actually there's nothing more rational.

The First Episode of Psychosis: A Guide for Patients and Their Families - Michael T. Compton

start investigating hegel and you may find yourself at the divergence between the right hegelians and the young hegelians, as either a transfomative christianity or one that necessarily eliminates.

do all of the prerequisite reading to prepare.

There is nothing.

You can't brainwash yourself user, I've tried.

Don't have a book to recommend at the moment, but have a (You) for a courageous post. Good luck user.

Kekistan

Pretty sure you can. What do you think CBT is? Self help books? Gorge on the media of any ideology then drop a bunch of acid, you'll come out believing it.

that is fair. however, i will say that i'm better able to look inward if i also express my thoughts externally. anyway, thank you.

Anonymous recommends that you learn to purify yourself from sexual impurity.

What God exactly? If it's an organized religion just read as much as possible about each religion

If it's new age spirituality, drop it right now

If it's pagan shit, you're still a fedora

user you need to read Augustine's Confessions.

that's a good call

U need This. Its the reason

As far as religion talking about judaism but applies to any, Reform is mostly people that just don't have the constitution to do Orthodox, and people who do but choose Reform for practical reasons.

Orthodox, is the best spiritually, but it is very pre-determined, there will be people pre-determined for some horrific role because of their parents, or something. Other people could have no personal merit, but because their ancestors donated a lot, or had a reputation could be allowed to basically screw everyone without repercussions and the whole world will support it.

Sooo, I would recommend Orthodox spiritually but if you don't have a good reputation, joining the Orthodox community might not work out.

most akin to a judeo-christian god like i literally felt what the bible describes as His love

i thought this was a meme until now i'm not ready for this

just reread this - if you couldn't tell I was from the west coast already there you go damn lol

i'm going to go hunt down some hardcover copies of some of the above mentioned texts. i think i will start visiting various denominations on the coming sundays, as well.

I love this.

Literally just read the bible.

All Is Vanity

[1] The words of the Preacher, the son of David, king in Jerusalem. [2] Vanity of vanities, says the Preacher, vanity of vanities! All is vanity. [3] What does man gain by all the toil at which he toils under the sun? [4] A generation goes, and a generation comes, but the earth remains forever. [5] The sun rises, and the sun goes down, and hastens to the place where it rises. [6] The wind blows to the south and goes around to the north;around and around goes the wind, and on its circuits the wind returns. [7] All streams run to the sea, but the sea is not full;to the place where the streams flow, there they flow again. [8] All things are full of weariness; a man cannot utter it; the eye is not satisfied with seeing, nor the ear filled with hearing. [9] What has been is what will be, and what has been done is what will be done, and there is nothing new under the sun. [10] Is there a thing of which it is said, "See, this is new" ? It has been already in the ages before us. [11] There is no remembrance of former things, nor will there be any remembrance of later things yet to be among those who come after.

It's an incredible, powerful, life changing read.

The Bible.

I prefer NASB Thomas Ryrie Study Bible. However, I am currently reading the NIV Archeological Study Bible.

Biblegateway.com has practically, if not literally, every translation, and a side-by-side comparison feature which is easy to use. I recommend this site if you do not have a Bible of your own.

I am not recommending this as a scholastic study. This is the Word of the Living God. If you seek Him, and seek Him as His Word says, you will find Him, and there will be no end to the depth of joy you will have in Him, and the richness of life. In all modalities, you will find that the riches of Christ are unending and the power of the Holy Spirit, and your desire for His presence, limitless.

May God bless you in your search for answers.

read Tolstoy
Anna Karenina (most important; the last few sections, particularly Levin's, are relevant to your issue) -> War And Peace -> DOII