Struggling Writers General

Who here /creativelybankrupt/?

I enjoy writing, it's one of my favorite things to do - my main hobby, I love doing it with friends, by myself, formulating ideas, and using flowery language, but these last few weeks I've just been trash.

No matter how hard I try, I never seem to improve. My prose is garbage, it's just plain and dreadfully boring - my writing lacks substance and personalty, as well. It's like reading a manual or encyclopedia, rather than a story. My vocabulary is limited, no matter how often I try to temper it, and everything I write is direct - as in, I have no clever phrases or beautiful language.
I'm articulate, but awful.

How can I improve, Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9EMj_CFPHYc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Live your life. The best tool a writer has is a mind that works slightly better than most and it can't do shit if YOU don't do shit.

Alternatively live in poverty and writing willl definitely inspire you out that hole.

I agree with dub dub user. Go wander around the city at night and talk to homeless people, that always gives me inspiration. If you live in a rural area, go camping. Do something that gives you thoughts, that you don't get from your normal routine.

Understood, and thank you.

As for writing itself, as in the technical aspects like prose, word choice, and other such vehicles, how do I go about improving that? Just read, so I get more acclimated to writing in an entertaining manner? Do I keep a thesaurus ready?

I want to become more articulate, but less dry in writing.

define a list of words every day and keep track of every word that you come across throughout the day. Like if someone uses the word 'inhale' try to think of a new way to use it that wouldn't have come to immediately. You can do this for even the most common everyday words, think of what it would be like to bring someone from 1890 to your world and see what the differences in language use are. Also just explore your creative impulses independently of your pen, the blank page seems to sap my creativity too. I need to think of things to write about away from the table, like when Im taking a shower or ding grocery shopping. Of course also if youre trying to write without a character in mind you might as well be a poet, so do that. And read more, obviously. No one wants to read a formula, thats for hollywood. Maybe try writing abstracted non fiction. Like say you want to write a story about an experimental filmmaker, maybe you should do some writing about your thoughts on how the camera has changed the world, or what the projects of past experimental filmmakers have developed over time. You get what I mean. Also read criticism, theyll teach you how to read too

I've got plenty to write about,especially with characters in mind, but I just can't put it down well. That's a big part of my problem.

I get a sort of anxiety when I see a blank sheet in front of me, thinking, "This isn't worth it, is it?"

Do I just bite the bullet and write it down in a way that feels natural?

It seems like you may just be word constipated. Just write complete shit and fix it later. I was listening to an interview with some author, I think her name was Laura Groff or something, and she was saying that on her first drafts she doesnt even bother creating character names it is so early in the process. It seems like you're probably a perfectionist to a fault. Try to write one scene and go from there

>perfectionist
That may be it. My friends who I write with have told me that I should do it for fun first and foremost, rather than trying to be the best.

Thanks for all your advice. One thing I really, really love is music - I'll start listening to it more, maybe reading, and practicing my vocabulary/writing short stories involving characters.

Thanks again.

When I can't hammer out a story, I pick up my guitar and hammer out chord progressions, a chorus, and try and improvise lyrics. If I can compile a song, I can still compile a story, and that usually jump-starts my desire to pump out paragraphs instead of stanzas.

For those who don't know how to play any instruments, you can always do the dirty RP-with-a-stranger route in order to force yourself to creatively respond to another. A lot of people don't like doing this, but I've found it can be both detrimental and successful over the last 16 or so years.

You gather vernacular and naturally shape better prose through more and more exposure to others, bad and good. You need to consume more to unlock creations in your head you didn't realize you had- primarily because you couldn't grasp the language well enough to properly convey it.

On the other hand, I think if you're around 18+ and you've yet to grasp an advanced intimacy with the English language I think you're more or less fucked.

I'd say I have an intimacy with the language, but I wish to improve. I've been in a block these last few weeks, and have been having zero fun in trying to soldier out paragraphs - hell, even nice-sounding sentences.

As for RP That's what I mean by writing with friends, though it's typically not dirty. We do a multi-para format a lot of the times. but I also like to write normally.

I used to write a lot and the spark is gone. It all comes down in the end. Hello darkness my old friend.

Whenever you find yourself using a phrase that you've used before, write it in a different way. Eliminate all stock phrases and clichés.

I'm kind of guessing the spark was never there in the first place.

Should I do this with stock phrases like "He said, ''"?

Does anyone know good books on describing things? As I write my novel I notice that the moment I try to describe things in detail I just spaghetti everywhere and it comes out very amateurish. I read hooked by Les Edgerton and it actually helped me a lot on my opening scenes and pacing of my novel but that doesn't mean much if I can't describe things like I'm not mentally retarded. Also if you know any book that will help me in writing I'd like to hear them. I got Techniques of the Selling Writer up next followed by Scene and Structure by Jack M Bickham.

Dialogue is the exception. Trying excessively to avoid saying 'he said' or something similar just seems like trying too hard, and draws attention away from the speech itself.
In all other things though, change around word order and avoid clichés like the plague.

Oh okay.
If somebody answered a question, could I say 'he answered' or 'he stated' or 'he replied'? I know you use 'asked' instead of 'said' for questions.

Of course you can. Things like 'he laughed' 'he snarled' 'he shot back' are a great way to help use dialogue effectively, but some authors seem to regard having to use 'he said' as a failure.

Not that user but the way I handle it is that I completely remove the "he answered/state/replied" shit entirely. I bring attention to whoever is talking or responding by describing their reactions to what's being said.
If a girlfriend told her boyfriend she was pregnant I'd have the boyfriend spaz out then describe the panic in his voice before he speaks before putting the dialogue.
Other times I'll make a character react to dialogue by their expression followed by their dialogue. As long as the reader can figure out who's talking you don't need "he/she said"

Here's an example from Prince of Thorns.

"Rike stormed out of the house, blacker than Nuban with all the ash on him, and spitting mad. He made for the next doorway. "Burlow, you fat bastard! You set me up!" If little Rikey couldn't find himself some loot, then somebody else would pay. Always."
Gomst looked glad of the diversion, but I drew his attention back. "Father Gomst, you were telling me about Jessop." I took the reigns from his hands.
"A bog-town, my prince. A nothing. a place where they cut peat for protectorate. Seventeen huts and perhaps a few more pigs." He tried a laugh, but it came out too harp and nervy."

Not a single he/she said. The author does use them when it's unclear who's talking or when he wants to paint a specific picture.

"The hamlet of Jessop, my prince," Gomst replied, wary and looking anywhere but at me.

However a lot of what he does is without he/she said.

"So you journeyed there to offer absolution to the poor?" I held his eye.
"Well . . ."
"Out past Hanton, out to the edge of the marsh, out into danger," I said. "You're a very holy man, Father."

After the Well either character could've spoke, the prince to cut in or the father to continue, thus the author put "I said" to specify the speaker.

Just want to add that it's up to you in the end. In Powder Mage the author uses "X said" and various forms of it liberally to add flavor.

I hope this clears things up.

Quality post. Thank you user

Thank you. I was praised for being able to characterize my characters through their actions, moreso than their words once ,so this will help me a lot.
Great post.

Here's the two books and the pages I was referencing. They both use both methods however Powder Mage, the one on the right, uses it considerably more.

Continuation, if you haven't read "Les Edgerton - Hooked, Write Fiction That Grabs Readers at Page One & Never Lets " then go do it. One of the major points he makes is to never treat the reader like an idiot. They can get "it", no need to explain every single detail plus it's a solid book. You can get it off of bookz.

If you haven't seen this, I'll be fucking surprised.
One of the Lead-Writers of the Monty Python group talking about how to be creative.
youtube.com/watch?v=9EMj_CFPHYc

Anyone got books on learning descriptive writing or improving prose?

He Who Fails To Become a Writer Is Destined to Become That Guy Who Needs To Namedrop Continental Philosophers to Say Anything At All

>don't be that guy anons
>don't be that guy
>for the love of god write your shitty stories instead it doesn't matter
>don't be that guy
>there are so many of those guys
>oh god
>just write your novel you magnificent faggots

Just copy other people's work. I mean copy pieces word-for-word. It worked for Robert Louis Stevenson; it worked for Benjamin Franklin; it even worked for jack London and Hunter S. Thompson. Choose something that moves you and hand copy it.

You are out of ideas and inspiration. Don't force it. Educate yourself. Have experiences. The words will come again, and better.

That's the part of writing that I believe no one can help you with.

If you have creative ideas for writing you're the envy of every writer for not thinking of it first. You really don't need a big vocab or complex sentences or deep thought to be a good writer. But you do need a narrative voice, which develops the more you write.

For getting better at writing read pic related. It's short and invaluable. No one can teach you how to make believable characters or provoking stories. Start with what YOU know. Where YOU come from. What YOU see and think and FEEL. That's all any of us can do.

In the end, though, you either got it or you don't. Most writers suck, so if you have any skill, cherish that your whole life and you'll only get better with time.

not that user but I just read that and I feel like I didn't get what I was after but I did gain valuable knowledge. My biggest weakness is being descriptive, mainly introducing color, because the shit I do is "Her hair flowed over her slender shoulders, its..." and then I blank out trying to describe its color. In this context her hair is sky blue and I don't think "its hue reminded me of the noon sky." sounds right or anything else I try to do.

Simplify. Her hair reminded me of the sky.

>live in poverty
really shitty advice, desu.