What do I need to read/know before reading the Iliad?

what do I need to read/know before reading the Iliad?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9FrHGAd_yto&list=PL023BCE5134243987
thoughtco.com/deaths-in-the-iliad-121298
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

> Hero X is in trouble and might possibly die
> God Y shows up and saves him

every fucking time

english

You need to know ancient greek to actually understand it's magnitude and not just be a pseudo

Here's Yale's course on ancient Greece:
youtube.com/watch?v=9FrHGAd_yto&list=PL023BCE5134243987

The way Homer portrays gods actually disappointed me. I always respected Greek mythology, until I read the Iliad. They came across as anthropomorphic superheroes and villains, not as omnipotent supernatural forces

thoughtco.com/deaths-in-the-iliad-121298

If you don't want to be a pseudo then you need to grow up speaking ancient Greek while being surrounded by native speakers otherwise you won't truly understand it's magnitude.

Nothing. Hesiod's Theogony, maybe some basics on the gods.

Like comic books, you can go back and forth between episodes.

The fault lies in yourself not homer. That's how the Greeks viewed Gods

Ah yes, extreme reasoning. No wonder no one after the greeks understood it, to the point it hasn't at all influenced anything on nowadays civilization

This person does not know Ancient Greek, or any language other than English.

εγώ είνα έλλενας

And how many of those people read it in translated languages? Probably most of them...

>using spaces

>And how many of those people read it in translated languages? Probably most of them...
Ah yes, translation sure were that available for more most of our history, also it's not like there was a thing at the church/universities after that was called classical formation which involved learning both latin and ancient greek
>using spaces
I am speaking in modern greek asshole, why are you so insecure?

wow, you have truly proven that you know this language. I take back everything I said.

ok believe whatever you want angry boy

>achilles is about to kill hektor
>apollo pulls him into a mist
>achilles is about to kill hektor again
>Apollo pulls him into the mist
>achilles is about to kill hektor a third time
>le mist
greatest work in Western literature my fucking ass.

argives = greeks

It took me a while to realize this.

Take your time in finding the irony of your comment.

Many of the names don't matter in the overall scheme. Although sometimes it's fun to pick a favorite minor character and just see how often they do something or whether or not they survive.

why are you being so gay about this ? its about the book in question not your sexuality

>I always respected the Americanized, dumbed-down, cartoonish vision of Greek mythology I believed in before I read the actual sources

ftfy