google.ie/amp/s/genius.com/amp/Joanna-newsom-sapokanikan-lyrics
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronnie_Rocket
youtube.com/watch?v=WJKkt-V7D0o
youtube.com/watch?v=BrGIPMAFSXU
youtube.com/watch?v=qI0mkt6Z3I0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Kubrick never directed Napoleon

>any other feels like this?

You think you have profound thoughts but you will die as less than a speck of dust on the spectrum of humanity

>the entire fucking library of Alexandria

This sort of thing always get me. Especially when one of the surviving works references one of the lost ones.

This one hurts

>Own a book that contains everything written by Hesiod that is known of.
>At the beggining there's the 3 poems that are preserved.
>Then it goes into the more incomplete poems, which are understandable to a certain extent.
>By the end of it it's just a bunch of loose words and phrases.

>Philip Glass never made the operas on the lives of Adolf Hitler and Charlie Chaplin

>we may only have access to Plato's and Aristotle's lecture notes/exercises, and not their direct works

I am still mad

>Aristotle was supposed to have been a great public expositor of philosophy
>dialogues supposed to be superior to even Plato's
>tfw none of them survive and all we have left are dry as fuck lecture notes that are impossible to read

that doesn't really concern me though.
I forgot about this, fucking sand niggers also torched a bunch of pajeet universities too.

Is the intact stuff really good?

>Ancient Greek literature is Christian fanfic from the 10th-14th century

>Sappho's work so badly fragmented translators have to insert words to make it make sense

>so many books were thrown into the Tigris River, according to one writer, that they formed a bridge that would support a man on horseback

historyofinformation.com/expanded.php?id=294

>almost none of the comedies survived

sad

Are the Mongols the true villains of history?

To you op and those who lament the loss of great art or life I think you might enjoy this song
youtu.be/ky9Ro9pP2gc
Lyrics
The cause is Ozymandian
The map of Sapokanikan
Is sanded and bevelled
The land lone and levelled
By some unrecorded and powerful hand
Which plays along the monument
And drums upon a plastic bag
The brave-men-and-women-so-dear-to-God-
And-famous-to-all-of-the-ages rag
Sang: Do you love me?
Will you remember?
The snow falls above me
The renderer renders:
The event is in the hand of God
Beneath a patch of grass, her
Bones the old Dutch master hid
While elsewhere Tobias
And the angel disguise
What the scholars surmise was a mother and kid
Interred with other daughters
In dirt in other potters' fields
Above them, parades
Mark the passing of days
Through parks where pale colonnades arch in marble and steel
Where all of the twenty-thousand attending your footfall
And the causes they died for are lost in the idling bird calls
And the records they left are cryptic at best
Lost in obsolescence
The text will not yield, nor x-ray reveal
With any fluorescence
Where the hand of the master begins and ends
I fell, I tried to do well but I won't be
Will you tell the one that I love to remember and hold me
I call and call for the doctor
But the snow swallows me whole with ol' Florry Walker
And the event lives only in print
He said:
"It's alright"
And "It's all over now"
And boarded the plane
His belt unfastened
The boy was known to show unusual daring
And, called a "boy"
This alderman, confounding Tammany Hall
In whose employ King Tamanend himself preceeded John’s fall
So we all raise a standard
To which the wise and honest soul may repair
To which a hunter
A hundred years from now, may look and despair
And see with wonder
The tributes we have left to rust in the parks
Swearing that our hair stood on end
To see John Purroy Mitchel depart
For the Western front where our work might count
O mercy! O God!
Go out, await the hunter to decipher the stone
And what lies under the city is gone
Look and despair
Look and despair

Theogony is pretty good but it can get a little boring if you don't have a background knowledge and are interested in greek mythology.
One thing you should keep in mind is that as a mythological book it's also an interpretation of the physical world, like for example, when Hesiod says that Ocean is the son of Gea and Uranus, what he means is that the rivers were born from the skies and the earth and shit like that.

Works and Days is 10/10 comfy book and a must read imo.

The shield is good, not god tier but it's good enough to keep you interested and not all that long.

Hehe, c'mon..bunch of old books. H-how important could *that* ever have been..?

Depends on who you ask, but causing rivers to run black with printers' ink for seven days is always a kind of a no-no in my book. A search for 'Hulagu Khan quotes' turns up pretty much what you would expect.

>It is recorded however that he resorted to Buddhism as he neared his death, against the will of his Christian wife Dokuz Khatun (Jackson 2005, 176).

But hey at least he sorted himself out at the end though

newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Hulagu_Khan

You give it a good sell senpai. Must be disappointing in a way knowing there's more work from that person and you'll never lay eyes on it because it no longer exists

>the moon landing tapes got erased

>all those ruins Schliemann blew up with dynamite

>only two books(Iliad/Odyssey) survived from the Epic Cycle

We kind of know Plato's dialogues are his "direct work" nowadays. Nevertheless, they are only promotional material for the Academy. Plato reputedly said the teachings he's really serious about cannot be communicated in writing. His so-called unwritten doctrines are the field of research especially of the Tübingen school.

>all of western philosophy is a footnote to an ancient promotional material

Ol' Broadshoulders is just that good.

that's a great song.

Reeeeeee!!!

Can't tell what I think about this song

One of the weirdest things I've heard in a while but strangely compelling. Her voice is as if oscillating on the verge between beautiful and inept.

one of the greatest tragedies of art history

it has a charm to it, she was also recovering from an illness too.

>Ancient Greek literature is Christian fanfic from the 10th-14th century

wat?

Ancient Greek (BC) is Christian (AD) fanfic?

How does that work (without time travel)?

Good to here people like she's a great lyricist. It's a shame people are put off by the tonality of her voice I love it personally.
google.ie/amp/s/genius.com/amp/Joanna-newsom-sapokanikan-lyrics
References in her lyrics are brilliant as well. So sad but she sings it so sweetly. PTA directed music video as well

Hear people like it^*

Is it right to say that nothing like this could ever happen in the information age or am I being naive?

other than nuclear war, or extinction events due to climate change, I'd hope not.

WHYYYYYYYY

HOW COULD THEY

I've thought about this quite a bit

on the one hand, every piece of news, literature, even Facebook feed is meticulously catalogued online

on the other hand, I don't think it's unlikely that the internet as we know it will not exist in 50 years

>we've probably seen the last tome from Pynchon

michael mann not making a movie based on my diary desu

It's all built on sand, mate.

>pale king
>unfinished

shut up!

>Milton's Arthurian epic

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronnie_Rocket
>After releasing 1977's Eraserhead, a black-and-white surrealist film and his début feature-length production,[6] Lynch began work on the screenplay for Ronnie Rocket. Lynch and his agent Marty Michaelson, of William Morris Endeavor, initially attempted to find financial backing for the project.[7] They met with one film studio on the matter, with Lynch describing the film to them as being "about electricity and a three-foot guy with red hair"; the studio never got in touch again.[8]

>no surviving Cardenio to see what shakes thought of Cervantes

>lynch
spotted the pleb

In his time, Herman Melville was regarded mostly as an utter failure of a writer, and all of what we would consider his 'greatest works' were basically spurned or ignored. His first son shot himself (accidentally) and immediately died. His second son died some year later. He continued to write in spite of all that -- until his death, with his final work being Billy Budd, another story about the sea, left unfinished and unpublished at his death bed.

He had no knowledge of his success as an author past his first work, Typee -- which was really just a glorified travel brochure. Consider being lauded as "the man who lived among the cannibals" and not "the man who wrote good books".

I can only imagine that it was defeating.

The family of guy who discovered the Nag Hammadi library burned a large portion of the papryus as fuel.

Aristotle's missing second book of Poetics about comedy.

All the early films shot on nitrate that crumbled to piece.

I wonder if Melville truly knew how great MD was. Its such a shame the critics/public were such kunts to him.

>None of Diogenes's books or plays are extant.

>tfw i had to look up extant

>Jodorowski's Dune

>old information stored in some proprietary format or encrypted
>nobody keeps a copy of the device to read the format or the encryption key

Don't forget that most will think someone else is archiving or backing it up.

>As Hughes and Sylvia Plath were legally married at the time of her death, Hughes inherited the Plath estate, including all her written work. Hughes has been condemned repeatedly for burning Plath's last journal, saying he "did not want her children to have to read it."[78] He lost another journal and an unfinished novel and instructed that a collection of Plath's papers and journals should not be released until 2013.[78][79] Hughes has been accused of attempting to control the estate for his own ends, although royalties from Plath's poetry were placed into a trust account for their two children, Frieda and Nicholas.[80][81]

Why would you do this? Fucking idiot

>literally the entire works of the aztec nation

FUCKING CONQUISTADORS YOU CONQUISTAWHORES we only have like four left at most.

So...its not 2013 anymore. What happened?

>Pynchon is probably already dead

Don't other Greek scholars say the plays we have are pretty much the best? Maybe having other plays would make him less renowned because it'd be diamonds in a sea of mediocrity.

Nothing of value is lost.

If we let Shakespeare contemporaries pick the plays they pass on to us we would have a bunch of bullshit comedies but no King Lear

>During his exile in 1822, Byron named the Irish poet Thomas Moore (1779-1852) as his literary executor and handed him a manuscript of his personal memoirs which he wanted to be published at a later date.

>But with Byron dead, and the public clamouring for anything bearing his name, Murray made a decision. Having been presented with the two volumes of Byron’s memoirs by Moore, he decided he had to act.

>Byron’s memoirs had to be destroyed.

>With the agreement of five of Byron’s friends and executors of his will (and with the only opposition coming from Moore), the men set about pulling apart the pages and burning the pages in the fireplace of the drawing room.

>Whatever Byron had written, Murray believed the memoirs were so scandalous they would forever damage Byron’s reputation, and possibly his own should he ever publish them. Even Moore, who in 1832 wrote a biography of Byron and was heavily criticised for allowing the memoirs to be destroyed, never divulged their contents.

T-thanks

>Why would you do this? Fucking idiot

>wife is public figure
>wife is mentally ill
>letting the entire world in on your relationship's private business

before facebook, people used to have self-respect, and respect for one's loved ones, and the deceased.

>We only have one full Menander play
>Aeschylus was also renowned for his satyr plays but none survive
>Only one satyr play by Euripides survives
>Aristophanes most popular work didn't survive

>store them in a secure location
>don't have to destroy shit that family might want to read even if you never publicly release it

He also wrote poems about their personal life later on.

This and also this (I agree with both -- not only is Sylvia Plath not that interesting and great of a literary figure, but there's also the element of respect)

>In 2017 it was revealed that letters written by Plath between February 18, 1960 and February 4, 1963 claim that Hughes beat Plath two days before she had a miscarriage in 1961, and that Hughes told Plath he wished that she was dead. The letters were sent to Dr. Ruth Barnhouse (then Dr. Ruth Beuscher).

""""respect""""

He only destroyed them because he knew he was the reason why she killed herself.

>We will never get the extended cut of Dune
>We will never get the full reel of Blue Velvet

>not only is Sylvia Plath not that interesting and great of a literary figure
Let's see your Pulitzer, user

>so many lost or misattributed works from the Renaissance
>Bach didn't finish the Art of Fugue
>Mozart died young
>Schubert died young
the list goes on

Cardenio by Shakespeare based on Don Quixote.

JUST

why they gotta break the rock

>Livy's History of Rome, sometimes referred to as Ab Urbe Condita,[i] is a monumental history of ancient Rome, written in Latin, between 27 and 9 BC.[ii] by the historian Titus Livius, or "Livy", as he is usually known in English. The work covers the period from the legends concerning the arrival of Aeneas and the refugees from the fall of Troy, to the city's founding in 753 BC, the expulsion of the Kings in 509 BC, and down to Livy's own time, during the reign of the emperor Augustus.[iii][iv] The last event covered by Livy is the death of Drusus in 9 BC.[2] About 25% of the work survives.[4]

>Livy's History of Rome was in high demand from the time it was published and remained so during the early years of the empire. Pliny the Younger reported that Livy's celebrity was so widespread, a man from Cadiz travelled to Rome and back for the sole purpose of meeting him.

You will never read the entire fucking gigantic omnibus history of Rome written by a guy taking decades.

We can only hope they were right
.what drives people to be this fucking loathsome?

>smartboy Greeks send out scholarly envoys to record the different societies in all the city states and the differences between them
>the only one that survives is FUCKING Athens because that's totally not the one we already have abundant information on

>a significant portion of the Epic of Gilgemesh is lost to time forever
>it was a musical that could've taken up to a day to perform in its entirety
>it influenced religious beliefs throughout the region based only on what we see now
>we will never read the complete work or know the tabs and melodies to the songs

On a similar note

>we will never listen to the music of ancient rome
>the vast majority of roman culture in general was lost during the fall
>we will never listen to the music of ancient greece besides one or two tabs that survived without their lyrics
>we will never read the literary works of the aztecs and mayans
>we will never listen to the songs of ancient egypt

God fucking dammit we've lost so much.

>tfw the similarities between me and Melville keep growing

This hurts.

There's music reconstructions. One of the classics professors at my university specializes in reconstructing music of the ancient greeks.
youtube.com/watch?v=WJKkt-V7D0o
youtube.com/watch?v=BrGIPMAFSXU

Romans in charge of art

Thank you user. I've started listening to the Ancient Roman video now.
What depresses me is that all we can do is roughly re-create it. We don't know for sure. Just like the Sumerian musical culture. They had a complex and thriving arts scene with complex and intermingled instrumentals, and we have no way of knowing how the music accompanied the song and poetry beyond wild guessword and loose re-creation.

First vid sounds avant garde as fuck.

youtube.com/watch?v=qI0mkt6Z3I0
This shit is cool.

Read The Missing Pieces by henri lefebvre

"In brief, laconic evocations, Henri Lefebvre lists a series of works that are either unfinished, lost, forgotten, destroyed, or that were never even made. This inventory of lacks becomes an incantation: if only for an instant, it transmits a presence to these “units” that had previously been lost to the history of human creativity and thought."

I think this is one of the reasons Melville is such a respected writer, he embodies the true passion of writing - still going at it even when the world tells you to stop.

I can't believe that nobody has mentioned the 2003 raid of the Iraq Museum. The enormity is incalculable, but in a way it shows that 'iconoclasm' isn't something we've entirely put behind us. History isn't only of the past. In a way, we're still in it, if that makes any damn sense.

Much of what was ruined weren't relics, or grave goods, but things easier to loot. Clay records of bargains struck and goods traded, to which we could otherwise derive insight into how regular people might've conducted their daily affairs.

Related pic is of a harp of Ur, torn to pieces for its gold inlays.

Surely theres hope for at least some of the books? I mean maybe someone saved a book from the library of Alexandria? Maybe someone has passed down an ancient writing of *insert favourite ancient greek* to their family before they come forward and bring it to the world?
I want to believe. Lost literacy and in general history is one of the worst crimes imo.

This is why secure countries should be tasked with the upkeep of important aritfacts, especially since Muslims are predominant in a lot of historically important regions. Make a EU or a UN museum somewhere and put all of the artifacts in there for christ sake. I hate these bastards.

Huh? I don't understand. What you're saying is fact. Who else feels that way? Like, anybody who knows about it...

>Conquest of Constantinople
Not Veeky Forums related but I'm still mad.

The EU and US keep giving back artifacts to them. Germany gave back very valuable artifacts to Iraq in just 2006 for God only knows what reason, considering the country was unstable as fuck

Dostoievsky didn't wrote Karamazov Brothers 2 electric bugaloo
Cervantes didn't wrote La Galatea 2 electric bugaloo
Goethe wrote Faust 2 electric bugaloo

Meanwhile the UK won't even give the Elgin Marbles back to Greece. Justifiably so, I think.

Are there more examples on philosophers who despised writing and preferred a more in-site approach to passing their wisdom? Any contemporary?

No contemporary philosopher comes to mind, but Taoist and Zen Buddhist schools saw language itself as flawed in expounding upon ultimate truth. That is why they stressed a direct teacher-student relationship, and why many stories involve people gaining enlightenment by seeing monks do weird shit.

How can it be if in Xanadu did Kubla Khan A stately pleasure dome decree?

Wait was he considering directing a napoleon biopic?

>not the fourth crusade