Making Alcohol out of Blood

No im not saying some sort of cocktail.

Im talking actually brewing a drink out of blood.

Is it possible?

Pic is snake blood because fuck it can’t find anything related to actually making a blood drink

Other urls found in this thread:

homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=182884&page=7
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Try cutting your own head off and drinking a tub of whiskey through your neck hole

you'd have to put in a nice amount of work, considering alcohol/ethanol is produced by the fermentation process of yeast.

the blood might be an okay starting point, considering the composition of blood, and the ph is close to water, but youd have to filter out the dead erythrocytes, chemically isolate the iron, amongst other impurities.

moreover, blood-borne diseases and pathogens? boiling the blood might be a good idea, but fuck man, youd start fermentation in a COAGULATION of dead cells.

>blood borne diseases and pathogens
I think I read somewhere that if the alcohol content is high enough they get killed or something?

No. Brewing relies on sugar content to be converted into the alcohol, and typical blood has a free sugar content of around 1 gram/liter.
Even assuming that you dealt with the wealth of antibodies and inhospitable composition of blood that keeps us from rising like bread when we get a paper cut, there simply isn't the raw feedstock to get above a tenth or so of a percent.

what? no you can't do that

What if you add sugar?

Do you have a specific animals' blood in mind?

OP why do you want to drink blood...

You're getting to the point where you'll just be adding blood to an alcohol mix, my friend.

Blame Bloodborne

rip

Still, if it was possible, I wonder what it would taste like

Wait, don’t you add sugar when making Kvass?

Not sure, something with low risk of disease....

Perhaps snake? The gooks do it

You add sugar and it still comes out under 1%.

It's extremely rare to use refined sugar as your primary source of yeast nutrition for a hard beverage, essentially only kilju and prison hooch do because of the extremely funky esters you get.
But it doesn't really matter what you use, at the end of the day you may as well mix blood with grain alcohol and process from there - the relevant part of brewing is what starches and sugars what you're brewing makes available, and the answer for blood is "essentially none".

Wouldn't adding salt prevent coagulation?

And also prevent fermentation. Realistically, never mind adding salt, you'd need to significantly dilute blood just to reduce concentrations enough.

what if you take a small animal or child and literally kill it with sugar? feed it until it dies of diabetic shock so there’s a ridiculous amount of sugar in its blood

Sounds like a good idea

Cruel, but meat companies do worse i suppose

Diabetic shock is too little sugar, not too much.
Too much sugar produces long-term organ failure, but "too much" is double to triple normal and still not even enough to crack 1% alcohol.

Even if you cram the LD50 in rats of 30g/kg into someone, it's lethal because it overloads the digestive system before it can enter the bloodstream as well as the kidneys before it even reaches full concentration. You'd need to mainline simple syrup, at which point again, congratulations, the blood does nothing but inhibit brewing.

At the end of the day, you can't brew things without sugars, and when you add sugar you're still just brewing the sugar while the original thing gets in the way. Yeast won't interact with the non-sugar components of blood except to die to antibodies and mineral content, ergo from a brewing perspective there is no distinction between brewing with autistically-sugared blood and just pouring some type O into a bottle of kilju.

for me, it's the vintage 2309, the finest of the years

>look mom how edgy I am

OP here

Actually found a thread on some forum about this

>”Ok, I will state from the beginning this is all theoretical, it shouldn't be tried, and I am doing this on a lark.”

>”ok from a science stand point...What you would really want out of the blood when making beer is the serum, that being all of the liquid except the red blood cells (as a scientist...i can not help but play the logic through to the end). The red blood cells you wouldn't want in the beer anyways as they contain large amounts of iron, which would make the beer a horribly metallic bitter. Adding sugars and extract theoretically would work. “

>”There are a ridiculous number of proteins in serum as that is what contains the many immune factors and cytokines. It would be near impossible to get a good clear beer from blood without quite a bit of whirfloc and a long cold crash (someone else recommended it, but I would suggest making it a lager). Not to mention, it wouldn't be red, which kinda takes the fun out of it. Red blood cells could be taken out by multiple methods including a vacuum sealed cold crash, or if you are really rich...a massive centrifuge.”

>”Blood fresh out of the body (baring any health related infections, meaning there is no "normal flora") is sterile and therefore theoretically perfectly fine to use (human blood, not chicken). “

>”The fats would be predominately found in the red blood cells which have already been removed which can somewhat answer the question about blood ruining head retention.”

homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=182884&page=7

How do you make spirits?
First, you need something with alcohol. How do you make alcohol? You need something with sugar to yeast ferment it and make alcohol.
Blood, unless is some sort of very sick animal with abnormal levels of blood sugar doesn't have enough sugar to ferment.
You could add sugar and yeast to blood, ferment it in a sealed container without air to avoid blood from rotting and then distill.
But I hightly doubt nothing edible will result of this.