My sister turned me on to using lard instead of butter about a year ago. I use pic related...

My sister turned me on to using lard instead of butter about a year ago. I use pic related. Mostly I use it for frying and sauteeing. What else is it good for? Any recommendations?

I guess cooking oil/fat general

Pig Fat >>>>>>>>>>>>> Beef Fat

Pretty much anything that uses ground beef I buy the leanest shit possible and bulk out the fat content with lard.

Baking. Also making your own lard is cheap and easy and better than the partially hydrogenated stuff in the bucket.

When I make chili cheese bean burritos I use your standard grocery store refried beans, but before adding it to the beef I heat them in a separate pan with a tablespoon of lard mixed in and melted. Gives it an extra oomph of flavor.

Like the quality is better? Because cost isn't a factor that stuff is cheap as shit

How much per pound do you use?

Better quality and better for you. Hydrogenated fats up your LDL (bad cholesterol).
Besides that, if you make your own lard you get cracklins as a side benefit. Cracklins are awesome.

Depends on beef fat content and what you are making. I buy the 96/4 super lean shit and add about 100g of lard.

H O T W A T E R C R U S T
Bonus: leftover lard can be used to add fat to your meat pies

>my sister turned me on

I feel like I'm not gonna get enough fat from the occasionally pork roast etc that I do to make it worth it

That's not how you make lard anyway.

Well I have nowhere to get leaf fat and I don't butcher hogs anymore

You don't make lard from a pork roast because it doesn't have enough fat. You make lard from fatback, the literally fatty skin of the back of the pig.

Really? That sucks. I can get fatback at Walmart.

not only better quality because of less impurities. it also has a higher smoking point at about 370F, while butter has like 200, but both are topped by ghee which can go to 450 or higher

this morning I fried a couple eggs in it
soon I'll be adding to some canned refried beans like mentioned above.
and it's my preferred fat in my deep fryer

hydrogenated, enjoy your heart attack

pastries

>My sister turned me on

stopped reading right there.

>My sister turned me on
clicked to read right there

Just do the math.

Let X be the percentage lean of the meat you're using, and Y be the percentage lean desired.

Meat = X lean + (100%-X) fat
Lard = 100% fat

Z meat + 1-Z lard
= ZX lean + Z(1-X) fat + (1-Z) fat
= ZX lean + (1-ZX) fat

ZX = Y
Z = Y/X

Z is some number less than 1, the proportion of the meat (including its fat content) to use to get the desired Y% lean meat. Solve further to get, for example, the number of grams L of lard to use per M grams of meat.

Y/X = L/(M+L)
X/Y = 1+L/M
L = M*(X/Y-1) or
L = MX/Y-M

Use L grams of lard for every M grams of meat.

So, if you one pound (454 grams) of 90/10 meat, and want to make 75/25 meat, add 454*(90/75-1)≈90 grams of lard.

Applying this formula in reverse we get
100=454*(96/Y-1)
96/(100/454+1)=Y ≈ 79%