How to cook steak in pan

How should you actually cook a steak with only a pan? I bought a steak in the supermarket today, they are usually pretty thin and get too well done quickly, mine was a bit overdone as it often is.

Many tips that I read sound strange. For example I don't like resting the meat, it just gets cold and while it's supposed to "lock the juices in" or something like that, in the end I have a bunch of liquid on the plate after resting it, so it doesn't really work.

Other urls found in this thread:

nytimes.com/2002/02/27/dining/the-chef-steak-with-style-easy-does-it.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Reminder that well done is a waste of a good steak.

>cropping out the watermark from this comedy gold meme

*funnymemesforgrandfathers.com*

before cooking make sure it's up to room temp, just to do a quick sear.
and do a short rest of 5min.

Is it true, that you should flip the steak only once? What exactly is the purpose of resting?

Resting allows the fibres in the meat to contract and reabsorb some of the juices.
Apparentally.

My shitty glass-ceramic stove can't get high enough temperature to make a proper seer so I gave up on trying to cook steak

no it's a meme. flipping it often cooks your meat faster and more evenly.

when you cook meat, the juices will move away from the heat/the edges and flow into the center.
when you rest the meat, it well flow back to the edges.
the heat forces the muscles fibers to tense up, when you rest teh meat and it cools a bit, they relax a bit allowing juices to flow back.

>has an issue of thin steak coming up over done
>cook it at room temperature!
No. First, pat dry your steak, then season it. I prefer simple salt and pepper. Let the seasoning stand for at least 15 minutes to let it get into the steak. After that, put in the freezer for 15 more minutes prior to cooking. Don't let it freeze fully, that will ruin it. Warm up your skillet with some oil, get it nice and hot, the put the steak in. This will allow you more time to get a good sear, and press down gently on the steak to get that sear everywhere on that steak. Don't crush it! Just press it down enough to ensure contact on all the surface. Flip after about maybe 2 minutes, repeat, then remove from skillet and let rest for only like, 3-5 minutes. Enjoy!

Other way. Let's the fibers relax and allows the juices that pooled in the middle of the steak to redistribute back into the cooked parts. You might lose a little juice during the resting phase.

get the heat up quickly
I usually use a carbon steel wok to cook my steak. Searing hot flame until the pan smokes, light smattering of oil, then the steak goes right onto the flat edge of the bottom. It's almost impossible for me to get a steak above medium this way, and I've used three stoves with very different heat levels.

personally, i like eating my steak while it's still very hot and i'm also a fairly slow eater, so i almost immediately carve up my steak and then pour the juices over it.

Cook in a pan with plenty of butter at a little below medium heat. While cooking, spoon butter from the pan over the top. Cook until you can see by the change in color that it is cooked about halfway up the side.

Turn over and cook the other side Keep basting with butter.

When done. let rest for five minutes on a plate or on paper or cloth towels before eating.

If you are a stickler at doing it perfectly, before cooking, use tongs to hold the steak up on a hotter plate to sear the sides. I usually skip this part.

You can also toss in one or two crushed garlic cloves into the butter when you start to cook the steak.

If you get some good grass-fed beef and you cook it on high heat, you will ruin the steak.

In the case of thin steak, use a pan you can transfer to the oven. Preheat to 400F, and when it's hot put your pan on the stove as hot as it will go. Have your steak already seasoned and warmed up a bit from the fridge. Once the pan is hot, add peanut oil or clarified butter(which will stand up to the heat better) and then put your steak on the pan. Sear one side for 30 seconds, flip, sear the other side 30 seconds, then take it off the heat and throw it in the oven. Let it bake about 10-12 minutes, then take it out and let the steak rest on a plate for about 5 minutes. You will have a nice medium-rare from this, if you like it more rare then don't bake it as long.

Let Alain Ducasse teach you how to cook a steak:

nytimes.com/2002/02/27/dining/the-chef-steak-with-style-easy-does-it.html

>I continue to cook the beef on the flat sides, salting first, about 10 minutes on each side. I do not use very high heat, because you get good caramelization in that amount of time. I'm not interested in carbonizing the surface of the meat. To me that ruins the flavor. You must also take care not to pierce the meat, or it will be less juicy. Turn it with tongs or two spoons.

>And now, here's where the chef really comes in. I crush a few big unpeeled cloves of garlic and put them in the pan along with a nice chunk of butter. Don't get too worked up about the butter -- it's a trick steakhouses often use -- you need fat to carry the flavor of the garlic into the meat. I salt and pepper the meat, and baste it with the garlic-butter for the last few minutes.

>Now comes a crucial step. The steak has to rest for at least half as long as it took to cook. This rule applies to any kind of meat that's not cooked in liquid, by the way. The juices, which run to the surface during the cooking, must be given a chance to retreat back into the meat so it will relax, be tender and juicy, and bloom with beefy flavor. You might now be content with the meat as it is, maybe with some crispy fries alongside.

If you have an oven friendly pan throw your ut in the oven for a bit at 400F, before you put it on the stove top turn the burner on and let it get to heat first. Ive been doing that for the last little bit. Works pretty well

for me
>cast iron/carbon steel/copper pan
>pan, nice and verry hot 650-700+
>nice marbled steak room temp
>light oil, olive oil(not extra virgin) or any oil with high smoke point
>dry beef with towel, salt and pepper liberally
>toss onto oiled pan and let sear for a few second before adding butter tyme, rosemary and half a lemons juice
>sear for desired time 1-4 while adjusting steack to prevent over searing and burning
>flip and baste with butter
>repeat step and flip once more, basting against before searing the side and taking of pan
>let rest for 5 minutes, if I cook it rare I usually wrap it in foil

usully turns out great, im new to cooking steak in a pan, and my first attempt was bad, but my second was perfect

You can use a blow torch--not even joking...

Look up reverse searing and do that

>get meat to room temp
>season evenly all sides with salt and pepper
>get the pan nice and hot as Ramsay tells everyone
>add olive oil and it should be just smoking
>put in steak for about two minutes each side for medium rare and a good sear that should be browned, not that weird undercooked greyish
>near the end of the steak, good idea to throw in your herbs like rosemary and a clove of garlic in for some flavour with some butter
>baste your steak with the melted butter
>take it out and leave it to rest in a hotplate, wrapped in tin foil, or covered by another plate for about five minutes

Finally someone with sense
Where did the room temp thing come from?

I cooked eye of round in a skillet and it came out tender. Did I do good Veeky Forums?

because you can do it without putting the steak in the freezer?

mein papa tells me so

How not to cook steak
>have pan hot as shit
>way too much oil
>tired and 16, it's Halloween and kind bummed I didn't do shit
>just drop steak into searing hot oil in a way that the part furthest from you lands first
>part closest to you slams into oil
>splashes oil all over face and barely misses my eye but it got my tear duct
>have horrible scabs and working at Target at the time, people giving me fucked up looks
Luckily no scars. But it was by far the most painful thing ever and I let out a blood curdling scream.

You're literally just asking how to make carne asada. The reason you can't find shit about it is because you're looking at shit meant for American steak. Carne asada is mexican, but it's just a thin steak made on a pan.

pan, nice and hot

For a thin steak that you want at medium rare, it's easier to partial freeze it to get the sear without over cooking the internals. It allows a longer time in the heat.

Pan nice and hot

Did you know steak snobs consistently can not tell a rested from a non rested steak in a double blind test? Resting is bullshit.

Where do you get that idea?

Admittedly, if someone cooks a crappy steak, then it would be difficult to tell whether or not it was rested.

I set my oven to the lowest setting and let the steak rest in that. It comes out on a warm plate and all of my juices are locked in.
I suggest using your brain before you cook, faggot.

I never thought about putting the steak in the oven at the lowest setting to rest. I always just leave it on the counter.

One thing I do, though, is to put a stoneware plate in the oven at the lowest setting to warm it up before putting the food on it. Also, if one thing finishes cooking and I have to wait for something else.