Who's that one author that just immediately connected to you on an extremely deep spiritual level...

Who's that one author that just immediately connected to you on an extremely deep spiritual level? The author who you immediately understood?
Pic related is mine.

Melville and Keats.

It's not even necessarily that I 'connect' to them, I am just in constant awe of their literary powers.

Shakespeare/Poe. If you're including all writers it's easily Larry David.

I really need to read more Joyce and Yeats. The Irish have been through just as much as my people.

Bandanaman, sadly.
I've been stopped and "saved" during past suicide attempts one day I'll join you Deefwubs, in pseud hell

paulo coehlo

he just like gets how the universe is

I also find Wallace Stevens and Samuel Beckett puzzling and intriguing. I cannot pretend to understand them but I take great pleasure in reading their writing.

Kafka (The Metamorphosis) and Dostoevsky

Dh Lawrence definitely

Eugene O'Neill

Palahniuk and Michael Gira. I like a minimal, clear-cut style of writing that expresses complex emotions in very simple words. The more flowery the language, the less I can connect with the author.

David Foster Wallace

pleb

>Stirner
>Nescio
>Melville
>Nietzsche
>Shaekspeare
>vonnegut
>gaddis

Elliot Roger

This man single-handedly cured my adolescent "fedora atheist" phase

This is a test of posting emojis:

Machiavelli, Borges, Montaigne, Canetti

I think anyone who calls themselves an American connects with Emerson on some level. So much of Americana flows through and from his work.

Machiavelli is unironically, without a single fedora tipped the best writer in political theory I ever read. I can't believe that in my humanities education the only thing we read of him was The Prince, and an excerpt of it at that.

Have you read Emerson's journals? They are better than his essay IMO

Good question for a thread OP.

Alfred, Lord Tennyson
W. B. Yeats
Plato
Tolkien

Sorry, more than one. If I have to pick one, it is Yeats.

Kafka

Lovecraft. He named a cat "Nigger" lmao

What did you studied?

Dosto but I am not well read desu

Mine has a built in fedora

Hello, edgy teen.

no he didn't. that phase cures itself. you just happened to be reading blake at a time when he resonated with the changes you were already undergoing

are you a Jew

Schopenhauer, Kierkegaard and Nietzsche.

Huxley

Sure, but it let me see that religion wasn't necessarily corrupt and oppressive like Hitchens' "celestial North Korea", that Blake could be a devout believer in Christ himself while at the same time hating the idea of imposed order and Church hierarchy. "I saw a Chapel all of gold" is beautiful for that, showing the contrast between religion as a deeply personal thing and as an institution.

Samuel Beckett and Ernesto Sabato.

Dazai and I'm not talking about No Longer Human

Black Jew.

George Orwell and Robert Frost.

I don't know why.

George Bernard Shaw is so similar to me it's uncanny, and I've always felt on a deeply personal level that we'd get along very well if we ever met.

Whitman, Kamov

The pic looks like a reference to Emerson's "Circles" essay.

Yeats is great.

You should read "Civilization and Its Discontents" of Freud.

gaddis? wew. jr or recognitions? go

with jews u lose

Melville and Lovecraft, somewhat strange combination really

>Emile Cioran's earlier works
>Soren Kierkegaard's Diary of a Seducer

i was memeing on those last two, but i think we all got a lil of that guy from recognitions in us

Bast in JR and both Benny and Gwyon in The Recognitions hit me hard.

knausgaard

Wittgenstein, Mann

Plato, Dostoevsky, and Homer

Robinson Jeffers - not just his poetry but also his house and the way he lived his life

Kant, DeLillo, any British Romantic poet.

Probably Salinger or Kierkegaard. I don't think I'd connect with them as I am now, though.

stirner, husserl

Melville and Lovecraft are both neo-Puritans. Not really strange at all.

trungpa

op here, I would say Emmerson embodies everything great about America. I'm not some murica guy but he really dhows every positive aspect of the american spirit; individualism, free thought, and so on.

this my nigga, I even dreamed of him last night (he was very nice) sadly his reputation is kinda messed up but that is only because no one reads the glass bead game

Bernard Cornwell. Because history and Great Britain are fucking awesome, that's why.

Yeats
Byron

rupi kaur

For the ungodly said, reasoning with themselves, but not aright
Our life is short and tedious, and in the death of a man there is no remedy: neither was there any man known to have returned from the grave.
For we are born at all adventure: and we shall be hereafter as though we had never been: for the breath in our nostrils is as smoke, and a little spark in the moving of our heart: Which being extinguished, our body shall be turned into ashes, and our spirit shall vanish as the soft air, and our name shall be forgotten in time, and no man shall have our works in remembrance, and our life shall pass away as the trace of a cloud, and it shall be dispersed as a mist, that is driven away with the beams of the sun, and overcome with the heat thereof.
For our time is a very shadow that passes away; and after our end there is no returning: for it is fast sealed, so that no man come again.
Come on therefore, let us enjoy the good things that are present: and let us speedily use the creatures like as in youth.
Let us fill ourselves with costly wine and ointments: and let no flower of the spring pass by us:
Let us crown ourselves with rosebuds, before they be withered:
Let none of us go without his part of our voluptuousness: let us leave tokens of our joyfulness in every place: for this is our portion, and our lot is this.
Let us oppress the poor righteous man, let us not spare the widow, nor reverence the ancient gray hairs of the aged.
Let our strength be the law of justice: for that which is feeble is found to be nothing worth.
Therefore let us lie in wait for the righteous; because he is not for our turn, and he is clean contrary to our doings: he upbraid us with our offending the law, and objected to our infamy the transgressions of our education.
He professed to have the knowledge of God: and he called himself the child of the Lord.
He was made to reprove our thoughts.
He is grievous unto us even to behold: for his life is not like other men's, his ways are of another fashion.
We are esteemed of him as counterfeits: he abstained from our ways as from filthiness: he pronounce the end of the just to be blessed, and make his boast that God is his father.
Let us see if his words be true: and let us prove what shall happen in the end of him.
For if the just man be the son of God, he will help him, and deliver him from the hand of his enemies.
Let us examine him with spitefulness and torture, that we may know his meekness, and prove his patience.
Let us condemn him with a shameful death: for by his own saying he shall be respected.
Such things they did imagine, and were deceived: for their own wickedness had blinded them.
As for the mysteries of God, they knew them not: neither hoped they for the wages of righteousness, nor discerned a reward for blameless souls.
For God created man to be immortal, and made him to be an image of his own eternity.

Faulkner. I don't even know what the fuck going on a lot of the time when reading him, but I still love it and connect with his words for some strange reason. This dude's prose is wicked fucking sick.

DH Lawrence. He was a quiet guy that was full of passion for life. Nobody else's poetry and short stories have ever moved me in so profound a way.

>Michael Gira

Schopenhauer

>Bukowski
>Stirner
>Nietzsche

I might be autistic or something

this guy

>stirner
>nietzsche
okay
>bukowski
dropped

Harlan Ellison
Cameron Pierce

This guy. Truly underrated considering his countless masterpieces.

holler shambala brah

A good selection. But remember Whoever is the subjective in English..

For me Montaigne thoroughly displaced Emerson and his disciples, including Nietzsche. Dickinson's up there. As is Walter Benjamin.

Camus for me,
Reading Camus has always felt more like talking to a friend than reading a novel or essay. I'd give my left nut to have a dinner conversation with him once

Samuel Beckett, David Foster Wallace, and Isaac Rosenberg.

I agree. Definitely the most satisfying quality of his writing. He delivers great insights in a direct, almost casual manner.

Pseud detected.

Interesting.

my niggas cormac and steinbeck. gods among men

Camus

Borges and Melville

Robert Walser and Simone Weil

tfw my literary soulmates are emotionally disturbed lifelong celibates

tell me about him i can't find anything on google. as for me i would probably say dante and elliot

Is it grandiose AND facetious to say myself

Montaigne, Nietzsche, Dosty...

The most recent That Ive connected to the most though is Thomas Merton, I was reading one of his books and had a weird mystical calmness that came over me as i was doing so for like 2 minutes, he really opened me up to religion in a lot of ways that I haven't been before.

I actually asked him to be in one of my dreams once (i know its absurd) and i ended up having a dream about going to rome to find the church and there was a circular fountain of wine and water. And a priest at the end of it threw lizards on to lifeless machines. I also had sex with a prostitute, that's the first time I've ever gotten laid in a dream and it was awesome.
>inb4 auto suggestion
It probably is but im just gonna go with it

>huh why would this costanza be relevant to to liking merton
>maybe if i read the spoiler
>holy shit what a fucking rollercoaster ride

im glad you enjoyed it