So someone left a bunch of steaks at me house and they won’t be coming back to get them...

So someone left a bunch of steaks at me house and they won’t be coming back to get them. I’ve got 5 1/2” thick NY strips, 4 3/4” thick NY strips and 3 3/4” bottom round cuts.
Normally I would grill, but it’s raining so I have to try pan searing. I have a really nice cast iron, but I’ve never cooked steak in a pan.
Advice?
Tips?
A flat-out how to?

Other urls found in this thread:

marthastewart.com/332439/pan-seared-steak
youtu.be/AmC9SmCBUj4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Also, it’s 5 1 1/2” NY strips, not 1/2”

bump for you, since you decided to go ask /b/ after not getting a reply here.

This seems to simple of a task to write out a decent reply. Pat your steaks dry. Get the pan hot, med-high, season both sides of steak liberally. Once pan is hot, throw some oil in the pan, throw the steaks in after. Do not move them for about 3-4 minutes, then flip. Do not move them for another 3-4 minutes, then take them out and let them rest. If you like your steak more done, heat your oven up, and after the sear, throw them pan and all into the oven. I could go on about a pan sauce, but I'm not sure your skills are up to it.

Get em room temp before cooking. Start with putting your pan on the highest heat possible. Get a lime and cut into quarters, one quarter per cut and giver a spritz. Throw some salt on. Get a decent oil on the meat, grape seed is best. Just put a glug on each one and message it to fully coat. Wash your hands but dont dry em. Flick the access wager in the pan to see if the water immediately evaporates. If it does put your meat in carefully, if not wait till the pans hot enough. Dont leave the stove and count to 30 then flip. Count to 30 again and flip, keep this cycle for about 2-3 minutes depending how rare you like it. On the last 30 seconds grab a small chunk of butter, one clove of garlic and black pepper. Crack the clove of garlic, throw the butter and garlic in. Put as much pepper as you like. Dont let the butter burn, as soon as it browns takr the steaks out and let em rest for 2 minutes. Then cut against the grains and shove it in your word hole.

Martha Stewart has a pretty nice recipe for pan searing steaks, but she doesn't use enough salt and pepper. I'd probably double it. Also, would cook mine for less time, wouldn't wait for the edges to get too dark, but that's on you. Also, fuck her thermometer, you'll know when you look at it.

marthastewart.com/332439/pan-seared-steak

The highest heat possible is a meme get it high but not too high

Why would someone leave so many steaks at your house?

Take them back, Tyrone

youtu.be/AmC9SmCBUj4

Just follow this video.

Since you saved so much in steaks, buy a sous vide kit and make a couple of them like that. They turn out stupidly tender.

Drunk mother in law left them at the house last night. She lives 3 hours away and has no license(hence the drunkenness), so she’s not coming back to get em

Lol what
Get that bitch in AA

>Gordon Ramsay
Waste of time

>can't cook out because rain
either stop being a puss or get an awning

but in all seriousness, use cast iron, no oil, get it screamin hot, sear for two to three minutes a side then put in either a 400 degree oven or use the broiler for three to seven minutes depending on how you like your steak

There is no fucking hope for her crazy ass. We’ve tried everything. Bitch got the cops called to my house last night.

None of these guys are telling you how smoky and unpleasant this experience is. Your house will smell like smoke until wednesday.

Grab a fan and open some windows right before meat touches pan. You'll thank me.

Will do, thanks. I’ve got a pretty powerfiul hood above the stove too, I’ll be sure to put that on full blast

>Gordon Ramsay
>Waste of time
Is this bait? I'm not a regular here.

Explain how it's a waste of time. Its a quick, concise video that tells you everything you need to know to pan sear a steak.

Appreciate it, gonna go grab some garlic cloves and thyme and try this.
The thread I had on /b/ has devolved into people calling each other faggots about sous-vide. Not as helpful as here, but damned entertaining

As someone that's actually followed the video, it makes a damn fine steak. The only tricky part is learning exactly when to pull the steaks out. Though you could always use a meat thermometer if you're unsure. And don't fucking forget to turn it on the side and render the fat cap.

I will, thanks. Don’t have a thermometer handy but I’ll make it work. I was hoping for simple so the flavor of the beef could really come through and I think this fits the bill perfectly.

the only problem with using a thermometer is if you check it too early a lot of the juice will run out where you pierced it as it continues to cook, resulting in a drier steak

That seems suspicious.

You have no idea what those have been, or what's in them.

meme
that little whole isnt going to do much.

Pair them with a fine trash can and get some better steaks

or jaccard/tenderize the shit out of them before searing in the skillet. You could also sous vide in a bag in a pot of water on low heat. Those steaks will be tough as shit cooked with standard methods.

Yeah I do, I was at the store when she bought them

Would extra virgin olive oil be okay to use when cooking steaks? Or is the smoke point too low for it?

Don't use EVOO unless you enjoy being blasted with tons of smoke. Steaks are seared at a very high temp so you want an oil with a high smoke point.

OP here, just wanted to say thanks. Shit was delicious. Did the Gordon Ramsay method and added Worcester and red wine. They were thin so ended up more medium well. Gonna try again with thicker cuts next time.

thats where you're wrong kiddo. those kind of videos are great for people learning how to cook since they show techniques that recipes fail to point out.

whats a good oil to use then? avocado oil?

>None of these guys are telling you how smoky and unpleasant this experience is. Your house will smell like smoke until wednesday.

Only if you're a raging fuckwit that believes the Plebbit meme that your pan has to be 600 degrees to get a proper sear. A mix of good oil and butter, and temperatures in your pan kept right before you start to smoke (~350ish...) will put a crust on your steak just fine, without turning your house into a smoke-filled mess. It also keeps your pepper, rosemary, thyme, garlic, etc... from having the shit burned out of it by the scorching hot temperatures.

The only thing that benefits from that kind of screaming heat is a neapolitan pizza crust, and even that you can still do acceptably well at home oven temperatures.